• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does everyone sell their junk?

35 posts in this topic

Craigslist is a terrible pain unless you are giving something way for free.  Then they all come out of the woodwork.  I really don't want to mail this junk.  Too much work for very little money but I hate to throw it out.  None of the hospitals will take it.  I could dump it in the Library donation bins but then it just may get thrown out.  I am trying not to add to the landfill.

I tried selling stuff here and while some went most of it didn't.  Any suggestions?  I don't facebook and I tried Letgo app a few years ago without any luck.

Thanks.

I blew out 1.25 long boxes of trek for $70 (around there a little fuzzy) at my yard sale. This was after about 5 years of wheeling the same stuff out (I started with 2.5 long boxes) for yard sales so this was after 5 years of being cherry picked. 

I live just outside of NYC.  I get all the clowns that don't drive or want me to deliver to Brooklyn.  I now put in the top of my listing that I don't deliver or mail.  As for a garage sale, I live in an apartment complex.  Aside from not wanting my neighbors to know I collect, there is no where to hold a garage sale.  I did rent a table several years back.  I basically had to give the comics away at the end of the day.  Everything else sold though that day which was great.

37 minutes ago, nocutename said:

I live just outside of NYC.  I get all the clowns that don't drive or want me to deliver to Brooklyn.  I now put in the top of my listing that I don't deliver or mail.  As for a garage sale, I live in an apartment complex.  Aside from not wanting my neighbors to know I collect, there is no where to hold a garage sale.  I did rent a table several years back.  I basically had to give the comics away at the end of the day.  Everything else sold though that day which was great.

Do you itemize your taxes?

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Do you itemize your taxes?

The value that I am selling is too small.  That is why I am pushing it on CL and ebay.  It was only one short with some run off.  Basically all moderns that I seed with some BA just to move it along easier.

6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

There’s a local record store that will take anything I bring him at this point 

I sometimes trade my vf overstock for used LP's and soundtracks at the record warehouse. He likes vf/vf+ nice shape Independent press and DC overstocked comics from 30 years ago boom and bust.

8 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Is that mycomicshop company an option? I would love to sell my 90s and 80s commons if I could get fifty cents a piece. 

I used to trade with MCS a lot when I could use Media Mail.  Now even Regional cost me around $14.  It is hard to get enough comics together to warrant that shipping cost.  Plus the boxes are a bit smaller too.  If you have a run of common stuff, forget about trading.  They usually have tons too.

1 hour ago, nocutename said:

I just sold one short box of junk.  Finally after being postponed for a week, the guy followed through last night.  Yup, now to put together another box of junk.  :$

The following is going to sound snarky but I don't mean it that way. Have you considered not buying junk so that you don't have to worry about selling said junk later?

I'm being quite serious. I was looking through boxes the other day and continually shaking my head and asking myself why I bought all that crap. 

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, nocutename said:

I used to trade with MCS a lot when I could use Media Mail.  Now even Regional cost me around $14.  It is hard to get enough comics together to warrant that shipping cost.  Plus the boxes are a bit smaller too.  If you have a run of common stuff, forget about trading.  They usually have tons too.

Can you not use media mail for comics anymore? 

50 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm being quite serious. I was looking through boxes the other day and continually shaking my head and asking myself why I bought all that crap. 

I look at it like a movie.  ie:  'Why did I just spend $10 on that ', or 'Why did I waste two hours watching that '.  It's entertainment first for me.   

15 hours ago, the blob said:

I blew out 1.25 long boxes of trek for $70 (around there a little fuzzy) at my yard sale. This was after about 5 years of wheeling the same stuff out (I started with 2.5 long boxes) for yard sales so this was after 5 years of being cherry picked. 

:roflmao:

16 hours ago, nocutename said:

The value that I am selling is too small.  That is why I am pushing it on CL and ebay.  It was only one short with some run off.  Basically all moderns that I seed with some BA just to move it along easier.

What I am saying is if you itemize and can take a charitable deduction then claiming $3-4 each should not be hard. I have donated to thrift shops. But under the new tax laws few are itemizing.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

What I am saying is if you itemize and can take a charitable deduction then claiming $3-4 each should not be hard. I have donated to thrift shops. But under the new tax laws few are itemizing.

Donating to schools is still a good option over a land fill throw away but the days of getting something for donating drek is pretty much over since very few people itemize with the new tax rules.

I've never tried it but maybe put a long box or two out by the curb with a small box saying $20 a long box similar to what I see people doing with cut wood or vegetables.  People love to grab "deals" out of the curb so maybe people will grab and pay since they are valuable comics.