• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mycomicshop charges a 25% restocking fee on returns!
5 5

73 posts in this topic

They are waiving it for you this time and now you are fully aware so you can be a little more careful when you order.  Doesn’t mean they have some horrible business model.  In a lot of cases when an item is returned they might  have to sell it at a discount or “trash” it out.  I worked as an RMA clerk for a few years many moons ago and know that process.

Maybe cut them some slack and lessons learned?

Not the same thing, but I bought ultra-pro magazine bags from a local comic shop 30 minutes away.  I figured I'd rather support the local shop than buy online.  Turns out the ultra pro mag bags do not fit my eaglemoss magazines anyway, so I end up ordering thick size BCW magazine bags online away.  Sitting on a pack of useless $6 mag bags here, too.  Point is, sometimes you lose and sometimes you lose. 

I just don't understand where our hobby is headed these days.  

It seems like nearly every day that I log in here, something bad is happening. 

I keep hearing about people getting ripped off on eBay to the tune of hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Or yet another dealer has books stolen at a convention to the tune of thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars.

It's almost been enough to make me walk away from the hobby......but I keep telling myself that it just can't get any worse.

Can it?

And then I come in here today.....and find out that someone is being charged a $3 restocking fee?

THAT DOES IT!!!

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

I just don't understand where our hobby is headed these days.  

It seems like nearly every day that I log in here, something bad is happening. 

I keep hearing about people getting ripped off on eBay to the tune of hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Or yet another dealer has books stolen at a convention to the tune of thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars.

It's almost been enough to make me walk away from the hobby......but I keep telling myself that it just can't get any worse.

Can it?

And then I come in here today.....and find out that someone is being charged a $3 restocking fee?

THAT DOES IT!!!

It's cool, just gift me all your stuff when you quit. (oh reliving my EverQuest days)

10 hours ago, nocutename said:

"I purchased the wrong sized bags from them"

"I inquired about returning them and they claim they didn't make any mistake."

Trust me, I get being frustrated over life in general sometimes but did you not just admit at the onset of your post to being the one at fault and then blame MCS for it?  :preach:

I fail to see what MCS did wrong in this situation regardless of their policies on restocking items. (shrug)

Had they sent you the wrong items (and not the items you asked for) then this would be different.  But if I order a Big Mac but wanted a Quarter Pounder then it isn't McDonald's' fault for my mistake.  2c

Edited by Sensei Ryan

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

This day and age of entitlement makes me sick. 

You as a consumer buys a product that you clearly made the wrong choice, then MCS tells you that they normally would charge you 3 dollars for a restocking fee but will waive this fee upon your items return.  You're ultimate thought was to come on here to shame a respected business,  and a respected board member? 

Stop, just stop !

And all for $3.25 :eyeroll:

3 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

Dude, what's your address? I'll send you 3.25 at my expense. If it's not what you expected when it gets there, you can return it with no restocking fee. :idea: Just don't come bash me on the boards, after. 

I should charge him three bucks for the time it took me to read his rant.hm

13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Sorry, no. One of them two is a non-entity. 

I was being sarcastic.  I know the other is just a board boogie-man.  I figured if I said his name he would return to protect his honor but I guess you have to say his name 3 times for that to happen.

10 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

My preferred way to handle returns would be:

- if a return is due to something outside of the customer's own actions such that the items received aren't as described (our error, damage in transit, etc), then of course no restocking fee

- if a return is due to the customer's good faith error (oops I ordered the wrong thing), or even if it's a buyer's remorse situation and they changed their minds but it's an honest mistake and first time, don't sweat it, accept the return with no restocking fee, let them know that although we do have a restocking fee for some returns it's not necessary here. The situation described in this thread sounds like it wasn't our error, but it was a minor oversight by the buyer and not a big deal, and I wouldn't have charged a restocking fee.

- but if a buyer has repetitive return requests where we didn't do anything wrong and the buyer made an error or got buyer's remorse, or otherwise is not ordering/returning in good faith, then I have no problem charging a restocking fee. We're not trying to be Wal-Mart or Amazon where anybody can return anything for any reason as many times as they want. There are buyers that would take advantage of it if it were allowed, one example being buyers looking for 9.8 candidates among books listed only as NM, and wanting to return correctly graded books that aren't suitable for 9.8 slabbing. Or ordering a 6.0 FN book and returning it, not because they don't think it's a 6.0, but because they thought it was undergraded when they ordered it, and then after receiving it decided it wasn't undergraded as much as they hoped. We don't want people fishing for stuff like that and then returning what they don't like. We want to take care of our customers, but we expect buyers to meet us half way and treat us fairly too.

Do you guys and gals have a you tube channel I would love to see a video tour of you facility. From some of the pics in your weekly e-mails it seems to be pretty well maintained.  

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

This day and age of entitlement makes me sick. 

You as a consumer buys a product that you clearly made the wrong choice, then MCS tells you that they normally would charge you 3 dollars for a restocking fee but will waive this fee upon your items return.  You're ultimate thought was to come on here to shame a respected business,  and a respected board member? 

Stop, just stop !

Not to be nit picky, but my thought was that OP was attempting to shame MCS.