• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC needs to modify its stance on Color Touch
5 5

350 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Before and after scans of color touch removal:

Hide contents

1296629-F001.thumb.jpg.c7210e364b0de39f8
1298620-F001.thumb.jpg.7254811b3121c7e5f

The CT removal looks unnatural. And there's no label note to say that the book has been altered. It hasn't been 'returned to it's former state'. It's been butchered.

Here's another example (borrowed from eBay). With a comic in this grade a minor amount of color touch is the least of your problems. A Blue label in the exact same grade with a CT note would have been sufficient. I would hate to see this poor comic punished any further by some future owner hoping to have the "restoration" fixed.

s-l1600.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

This thread comes to mind. 

Af 15

Yuck. The more I see, the more I feel that CGC should not be offering a CT removal service. 

But on the other hand, they grade single pages of cut up books, so maybe this isn't as bad as it seems. 

6 minutes ago, Rip said:

This thread comes to mind. 

Af 15

The DD1 CGC 9.2 in the quoted thread is a great example of what I'm concerned about: the microscopic CT and the flaw it was intended to mask wasn't even significant enough to affect the grade (when its label changed from Purple to Blue it still remained a 9.2 - hey, that rhymes!) but it still received the Purple Label of Death.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It is why with many golden age books, I have no problem picking up a book with a small amount of color touch.  If no one else wants to touch it, let that be their thing and keep the price down.

Eventually a nice CT copy of Superman 14 will be mine. 

And would you have the restoration removed?

2 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

And would you have the restoration removed?

Nope.

I have two superhero Timelys that have a small amount of CT and I kept them the way they are. 

My Batman 11 was knocked down to a PLOD because the cover was cleaned and reinforced.  Ummm I paid a fraction of what it would have been in a blue label because of that.

The only thing I won't touch is trimmed.

But no, I have a few GA books that have some restoration and I have never had them reversed.  I did not see the need to do that. 

Edited by Buzzetta

BTW... Thought I would share... there is one book I loved and wanted but did not feel like spending a ridiculous sum for if I found one with one restoration that I found acceptable. 

I paid $388 for this through Heritage back in 2014.  I did have "something" done to it.  I sent it to Joey and he got rid of the nasty spine roll.  As you can see the CT is along the spine at the staple.   I'm fine with it.  It is now in a CGC 4.0 holder so while it did not go up by much it did make the book look infinitely better.  So for $388 + pressing and reslabbing fees?  I am fine with a 4.0 here. 

Note 1 - CGC did not note the interior tape on the cover when it was a 3.5

Note 2 - I need to lighten my scans.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Cap47cgc35Ra.jpeg

Cap47cgc40Ra.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

21 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

BTW... Thought I would share... there is one book I loved and wanted but did not feel like spending a ridiculous sum for if I found one with one restoration that I found acceptable. 

I paid $388 for this through Heritage back in 2014.  I did have "something" done to it.  I sent it to Joey and he got rid of the nasty spine roll.  As you can see the CT is along the spine at the staple.   I'm fine with it.  It is now in a CGC 4.0 holder so while it did not go up by much it did make the book look infinitely better.  So for $388 + pressing and reslabbing fees?  I am fine with a 4.0 here. 

Note 1 - CGC did not note the interior tape on the cover when it was a 3.5

Note 2 - I need to lighten my scans.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Cap47cgc35Ra.jpeg

Cap47cgc40Ra.jpg

PQ bump. NICE.

And BTW The purple and gold label is a novel concept.

You get a gold label because someone WITNESSED someone taking a marker to a book

You get a green or purple label for someone taking a marker to a book (that wasn’t witnessed?)

Is there such thing as a green and gold label? hm

Edited by djpinkpanther67
Clarity

26 minutes ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

Is there such thing as a green and gold label? hm

Yes if there is marker witnessed and one not, the top edge is green and the rest is yellow label, I don't remember whether it is universal then ... I think it is still qualified though (thumbsu

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes if there is marker witnessed and one not, the top edge is green and the rest is yellow label, I don't remember whether it is universal then ... I think it is still qualified though (thumbsu

Thank you 😊 

CT removal should only be intended if it is safe to do, like a few dots here and there (the DD 1 CGC 9.2, I'm fine with the removal).  If it is more than that, I believe that whomever is removing the ct should refrain from doing so because it would look very ugly and yes complete destruction as some of the examples we've seen so far. The new letter w/ number designation on the amount of restoration was done on the book really helps. 

Blue labeling CT and downgrading for it is a terrible idea. Treating removed CT as resto is equally terrible. Removed CT is damage, pure and simple. Just like someone accidentally tearing off a corner or bugs chewing up a book is damage. Both intentional and unintentional damage are downgraded for equally. You are asking CGC to determine the intent of damage and then base whether they call it resto or not on their assessment of intent. That's just ridiculous in my mind.

The problem isn't CGC's stance on CT. The problem is that the market feels that an unrestored 3.0 is worth more than a 6.0 with slight CT. That's not CGC's problem to solve. 

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

Blue labeling CT and downgrading for it is a terrible idea. Treating removed CT as resto is equally terrible. Removed CT is damage, pure and simple. Just like someone accidentally tearing off a corner or bugs chewing up a book is damage. Both intentional and unintentional damage are downgraded for equally. You are asking CGC to determine the intent of damage and then base whether they call it resto or not on their assessment of intent. That's just ridiculous in my mind.

The problem isn't CGC's stance on CT. The problem is that the market feels that an unrestored 3.0 is worth more than a 6.0 with slight CT. That's not CGC's problem to solve. 

Isn't that what CGC does every time they grade a comic? If they see a black felt mark over a black area of the comic it is color touch (purple label). If they see a black felt mark over a green area it is just a wayward pen stroke (blue label). They have made the resto call based solely on a belief of intent.