• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC needs to modify its stance on Color Touch
5 5

350 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, D84 said:

I can't tell if you are joking or not.

No joke. The grade divisions have gone from a 3 point scale of 1-3-5 to a 25 point grading system because as values increase the disparity in price necessitates more grade divisions.

16 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

No joke. The grade divisions have gone from a 3 point scale of 1-3-5 to a 25 point grading system because as values increase the disparity in price necessitates more grade divisions.

And worth noting, Pacific Comix Exchange (Rob Roter) was using a 100 point system for at least 6 years or more prior to CGC's opening their doors for business. And I think Ernst Gerber may have been toying with a 100 point system for almost 10 years prior to that as well as being the first one to encapsulate comics (with some type of deacidification powder).

Does anybody on this forum have one of those mid to late 1980s Gerber encapsulated and graded comics?

There is a certain point where this is insane.  Do we really 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 & 9.7 so the speculators can squeeze out more money?

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

9.7, 9.5, 9.3, and 9.1

How 'bout 0.3 and 0.1 grades. 5 wraps of a book and an otherwise complete coverless should not both be NG.

Also, (a little off topic) can cgc stop encapsulating coverless books with facsimile covers. Why would anyone just want to look at a reprinted cover?

Edited by HuddyBee

21 minutes ago, D84 said:

There is a certain point where this is insane.  Do we really 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 & 9.7 so the speculators can squeeze out more money?

The grades are necessary, and have been for quite some time.

In coins, there was colossal resistance to even grades like MS63 and MS67. Old time collectors felt that Uncirculated, Gem Uncirculated, and Perfect Uncirculated were more than enough.

Now, we have ever number from 60 to 70...AND we have stars and pluses to go along with it. MS64? No, MS64+, and MS64* for those realllly MS64 examples.

Those collectors said "at a certain point, this is insane." The market thought otherwise.

48 minutes ago, D84 said:

Why is it insane?

Didn't you read that some old school dealers already used to use a 100 point system?

And how does it cause speculators to squeeze out more money?

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

How 'bout 0.3 and 0.1 grades. 5 wraps of a book and an otherwise complete coverless should not both be NG.

Why not? 0.3 and 0.1 are meaningless anyway. They don't tell you anything about the condition of what's actually there.

2 hours ago, JWKyle said:

@RockMyAmadeus The grading scale is a great topic and should probably have it's own thread. I for one would like to see some additions to the scale

It's fun watching the arc, even if it takes a long time. The first time I brought this up here, maybe 11 years ago, the consensus was "you cray cray!"

Now...not so much. A little bit. But not much.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

I know the 10 point system was created with the number grades to coincide with the letter grades maybe something like this would work.

9.0 VF+/NM-
9.1 VF++/NM- ?
9.2 NM-
9.3 NM-/NM
9.4 NM
9.5 NM/NM+
9.6 NM+
9.7 NM+/MT-
9.8 NM+/Mt
9.9 Mt
10 Gem Mt

49 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

I know the 10 point system was created with the number grades to coincide with the letter grades maybe something like this would work.

9.0 VF+/NM-
9.1 VF++/NM- ?
9.2 NM-
9.3 NM-/NM
9.4 NM
9.5 NM/NM+
9.6 NM+
9.7 NM+/MT-
9.8 NM+/Mt
9.9 Mt
10 Gem Mt

Yes. This is almost exactly the way the Pacific Comic Exchange's books were graded in pre-CGC days when they ran ads in the trade papers of the 90s, except for the decimal point. The grades were 90, 91, 92, 93, etc. (100 points instead of 10). .

Edited by James J Johnson

15 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I vote that, if anyone touches a comic off the printer before it gets slabbed, it's worthless.

Why slab anyways?

I think it defeats the nostalgia of collecting.

I mean according to someone's thread nobody buys comics for financial value,rather very few, and slabbing prevents a person's ability to read the comic,thus negating its nostalgic value.

And if you wanted to slab without grade,why not just march down to your local comic store and pic up some of those large cases.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Why slab anyways?

I mean according to someone's thread nobody buys comics for financial value,rather very few, and slabbing prevents a person's ability to read the comic,thus negating its nostalgic value.

And if you wanted to slab without grade,why not just march down to your local comic store and pic up some of those large cases.

What are you talking about..? It was tongue-in-cheek...

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Why slab anyways?

To give us all sumthin to person_without_enough_empathy about lol.

9 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Why not? 0.3 and 0.1 are meaningless anyway. They don't tell you anything about the condition of what's actually there.

Yes, anyone can tell weather a "book" is an 0.3 or part of it an 0.1.

But, by that logic we shouldn't have an 0.5 grade. Since the main criteria for that grade is incompleteness the 0.5 doesn't, "tell you anything about the condition of what's actually there." If a book is 0.5 its obvious and anyone can tell after simply noting its incompleteness.

I just think it would be nice to have an actual number assigned to coverless books especially considering over street added 0.3/0.1s a little while ago, as well as the abundance of coverless books on the market.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's fun watching the arc, even if it takes a long time. The first time I brought this up here, maybe 11 years ago, the consensus was "you cray cray!"

Now...not so much. A little bit. But not much.

It's not an either or.  You still may be cray cray, while this idea may have some merit. 

The big question for me is: Is the reason that 9.6's straight resubbed become 9.8's because 9.7 doesn't exist?  Or is it that grading isn't an exact science and what one cgc grader sees as a 9.6 another sees as a 9.8.  If it's the former, these in between grades solve the problem.  If it's the latter, then it makes it much much worse.

Edited by thunsicker

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Why slab anyways?

+1 

I only slab before I sell a book, or if I have multiple copies. (or yes if I want by sig authenticated by Voldy :/)