• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC needs to modify its stance on Color Touch
5 5

350 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

CGC grades off white pages the same as white pages, older books differently than moderns.

They are the professionals.

I mean for me 9.8 is pretty much pristine. I guess it matters how much you want the comic.

Not trying to troll, but I've read this 4 times and still not sure what is being said.

Could you please expand on this?

Edited by D84
Clarify why I am posting.

21 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

The label doesn’t have a massive affect, the color touch does. That’s what happens when you disclose color touch. What amount of restoration is acceptable in a non restored label? I’d say none. Just means cheaper comics for those who like them. But by allowing any level of restoration in a blue label you will see restoration become exactly as common as pressing, and it’s fairly safe to assume anything slabbed in at least the past five years has been pressed

Exactly right. If CGC was foolish enough to allow color touch, routinely, into a blue label, the use of color touch would sky rocket. Why wouldn't you, excepting any ethics you might possess, place a dot or two on your comic's spine to have CGC's blessing and make 30% more? This is a crazy discussion and it makes me cry for the future of our hobby.

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Exactly right. If CGC was foolish enough to allow color touch, routinely, into a blue label, the use of color touch would sky rocket. Why wouldn't you, excepting any ethics you might possess, place a dot or two on your comic's spine to have CGC's blessing and make 30% more? This is a crazy discussion and it makes me cry for the future of our hobby.

ct.thumb.PNG.69c26df5e583e804ba3c14f7be255cdf.PNG

23 minutes ago, D84 said:

Not trying to troll, but I've read this 4 times and still not sure what is being said.

Could you please expand on this?

Maybe that was a little off topic

I thought we were discussing CGC grading policies.

I too agree that color should not impact the condition of a comic,sometimes particular colors run low,I imagine that's the reason.

I'm just saying they also judge a comic that has off white pages with the same conditioning as white pages.

Are they grading manufacturing defects or the manner in which the collector has preserved his comic book?

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I too agree that color should not impact the condition of a comic,sometimes particular colors run low,I imagine that's the reason.

I'm just saying they also judge a comic that has off white pages with the same conditioning as white pages.

Are they grading manufacturing defects or the manner in which the collector has preserved his comic book?

The topic is about how CGC labels books where people have added color to the comic (color touch).  Restored it.  

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Thanks.  Now I follow you.

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

ct.thumb.PNG.69c26df5e583e804ba3c14f7be255cdf.PNG

I have been told that the amount of color touch allowed for this to still receive a blue label is so small that its application did not affect the grade.  That is not what we are talking about. We are talking about color touch getting a blue label almost regardless the amount.  Ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have been told that the amount of color touch allowed for this to still receive a blue label is so small that its application did not affect the grade.  That is not what we are talking about. We are talking about color touch getting a blue label almost regardless the amount.  Ridiculous.

They've been doing that for a long time.

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

They've been doing that for a long time.

exactly and not an issue for me.  The color touch does not impact the grade so...it should be noted but it is not restoration by definition.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I wouldn't say it was ridiculous, that's a bit strong, unless you're stating it in jest or with your tongue in your cheek. Which I suspect you are not? The thread has a mix of views, all with reasonable rationales to support them. It's not a clear cut thing, which makes it interesting. If it was a clear cut thing, everyone would agree and the topic would end quickly. I can see merits in both sides of the argument. Your point about encouraging CT by giving it a Blue label is a good one and makes sense to me. Ultimately, someone has to make a decision. Leave it as is, or change it. Things do change, so the debate is worth having. It's been had before, ad nauseum probably. But things need regular temperature checks as things can and often do change. I do not personally think that a Blue label with CT noted is the end of the world. I think that would have more pluses than minuses. But others of course may disagree and they may indeed be in the majority. 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

exactly and not an issue for me.  The color touch does not impact the grade so...it should be noted but it is not restoration by definition.

Would you accept that principle on books of all ages, not just Golden Age? 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I wouldn't say it was ridiculous, that's a bit strong, unless you're stating it in jest or with your tongue in your cheek. Which I suspect you are not? The thread has a mix of views, all with reasonable rationales to support them. It's not a clear cut thing, which makes it interesting. If it was a clear cut thing, everyone would agree and the topic would end quickly. I can see merits in both sides of the argument. Your point about encouraging CT by giving it a Blue label is a good one and makes sense to me. Ultimately, someone has to make a decision. Leave it as is, or change it. Things do change, so the debate is worth having. It's been had before, ad nauseum probably. But things need regular temperature checks as things can and often do change. I do not personally think that a Blue label with CT noted is the end of the world. I think that would have more pluses than minuses. But others of course may disagree and they may indeed be in the majority. 

You are right; things do change. I was, and am, a strong supporter of the change on tape use as well as condemning  the use of moving spine damage to the back cover using the same techniques used to remove spine roll. Both of these examples allowed people to game the CGC grading system for potential out-sized profits. If someone started a thread advocating either of these techniques for blue label treatment I believe the majority of board users would say, "Ridiculous!"

In my eyes, this discussion is no different. Its talking about gaming the CGC grading system to increase profits by applying a largely unaccepted treatment.  Harumph, I say!:sumo:

Edited by Badger