• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTAZIA 1991 And More
1 1

57 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

How ironic that it would be a macro-trimmer like Danny to expose a micro-trimmer like Ewert.  lol

Scammers hate to see another grifter moving in on their sheep

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

lol  This post reminds of a story Jon Berk told on his adventures with Danny on a New Fun 1.

Here's Jon's post from an early CGC thread:

"True Story (My 1 which has a married back cover....I bought it twenty plus years ago. Never had seen a New Fun....got it from Danny Dupchak of Fantazia (spelling)(for those who do not know an absolutely unscrupulous dealer). When i got it i called him- "Danny, shouldn't this book have a back cover?" (The front was perfectly attached)) Danny: "Geez,I don't know."

Eventually, truth came to the surface and I paid $300 instead of $500. Ah the days of the Wild West of comic dealing......."

I shouldn't chuckle after I read but a response of Geez, I don't know.  He could have done better than that like I'm not a professional grader... Maybe he could have gotten royalties as much as that is used on Ebay.  I wouldn't doubt he has used it when he has sold on Ebay.

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

I shouldn't chuckle after I read but a response of Geez, I don't know.  He could have done better than that like I'm not a professional grader... Maybe he could have gotten royalties as much as that is used on Ebay.  I wouldn't doubt he has used it when he has sold on Ebay.

I thought he is still selling on eBay as kellyssuperheroes. Practically every book he sells, appear to be trimmed.

4 hours ago, telerites said:

I wouldn't call him a playa - a dirtbag, scumbag and other names that wouldn't pass the board censor.  From his deceit to the way he treated people and self-perceived worth, he's just a plain individual_without_enough_empathy.

It sounds as if your description is more appropriate...although "playa" was not meant to be kind lol

On 5/8/2019 at 2:24 PM, kat123 said:

vf/nm on the ad...

The Larson AA 11 at one point had a glue repair. At one SDCC, I walked by Richard Halegua’s booth as he was having a spirited discussion with Stephen Fishler who was peddling the book at an exorbitant, unrestored price. Richie had spotted the glue and kept repeating over and over (in a loud voice) that the book was restored and was way overpriced. It was kind of funny because Fishler looked like it was his mother yelling at him!

It might explain how a raw VF/NM had been given a glue repair, then the glue had been removed to get a Blue label 6.0. 

Beautiful Larson, regardless. :cloud9:

On 5/8/2019 at 1:19 PM, RICK STARR said:

Well, in going through my box of old catalogs, I also came across these interesting tibbits from the past. Matt Schiffman put out these catalogs back in 1998 which were not only for selling/price lists for books, but gave some insights to the state of our hobby. Also, Matt wrote his report in the old monthly Comic Market Place originally published by Gary Carter and later by Diamond. Check out some of his articles.

A cool Schomberg cover on the first issue. Do not know the source of the art.

I had one of these lights. Picked it up second hand at a con, but lost it some years later.

1273221719_XELA1B.thumb.jpg.972ba00d0b34e4bc51e2cd9b075e34c0.jpg

I remember receiving one of these catalogs from Matt way back in the day.  (thumbsu

Unlike you though, I believed I went and ordered one of these lights directly from Matt so that I could take a closer look at some of the books in my collection.  No doubt being technically and mechanically challenged, I just could not get the darn thing to work properly.  I just could not get the thing to ever light up save for possibly only one or two books.  And this was for books which the dealer told had some tiny teat seals on them.  :frustrated:

Were you able to get yours to work properly?  ???

On 5/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, lhcomics said:

Back around 1987 I traded Danny a New Comics 1 that would have graded VF for a Bat 1 in FA/G. At that time New Comics 1 was nowhere to be found and Bat 1 was everywhere. When I got the Bat 1 it was really a piece of restored garbage that could be called poor. 

When I contacted Danny to return the Bat 1 and get my comic back he was good with the return. Later that day I get a call from Steve Fishler offering me $1800 for the New Comics 1 so I accepted. I guess they worked deals together at that time. 

Or it could probably also have been nothing more than a case of Danny (like any other dealer) trying to flip a book to Fishler since I believe that Metro must have been one of the more high profile and up and coming dealers at the time.  (shrug)

Either way, it looks like you should have stuck with the original deal with Danny in this one particular case.  Especially since you would most likely be ahead with the beat up restored Bat 1 considering the way that GA keys have moved over the past 30+ years, as compared to the pre-hero books which have certainly been nothing to write home about.  hm

40 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Or it could probably also have been nothing more than a case of Danny (like any other dealer) trying to flip a book to Fishler since I believe that Metro must have been one of the more high profile and up and coming dealers at the time.  (shrug)

Either way, it looks like you should have stuck with the original deal with Danny in this one particular case.  Especially since you would most likely be ahead with the beat up restored Bat 1 considering the way that GA keys have moved over the past 30+ years, as compared to the pre-hero books which have certainly been nothing to write home about.  hm

True but had I kept either comic it would have gone up in flames in my 1997 house fire with all my other comics. 

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

True but had I kept either comic it would have gone up in flames in my 1997 house fire with all my other comics. 

Well, the most important thing is for both you and your family to get out safely in the event of a fire.  (thumbsu

Unlike the recent Russian airplane crash whereby some of the selfish and idiotic passengers were so busy trying to take their carry on out of the overhead bins that they ended up blocking the aisle which prevented the passengers behind from getting out of the airplane in time.  :screwy:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, telerites said:
On 5/9/2019 at 6:19 PM, GomerPyleUSMC said:

I thought he is still selling on eBay as kellyssuperheroes. Practically every book he sells, appear to be trimmed.

So that's his ebay ID now.  I had lost track

Plus ca change. Incredible. The same old tricks he's been pulling since I first learned about him on these boards over 15 years ago and they continue to work - how depressing.

Edited by goldust40

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, lou_fine said:

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, lou_fine said:

It did work, but the light was weak and I did not use it much. I lost it or misplaced it at some point.

I finally took a look at his ebay listings.  Amazing he has 100$ feedback - I assume those who do discover the trimming or other forms of restoration, he refunds them but the majority I bet don't look, can't detect it, or don't slab.  All raw listings and most those sideways pics.

I looked at his old listings and the last one was an X-Men #101 supposedly 9.6 that sold with one bid for $1,500.  GPA last sale for 9.6 was $1,579.  Just dumb, ignorant buyers.  Buy it slabbed for a similar cost and be assured it resto-free.  

12 hours ago, telerites said:

I finally took a look at his ebay listings.  Amazing he has 100$ feedback - I assume those who do discover the trimming or other forms of restoration, he refunds them but the majority I bet don't look, can't detect it, or don't slab.  All raw listings and most those sideways pics.

I looked at his old listings and the last one was an X-Men #101 supposedly 9.6 that sold with one bid for $1,500.  GPA last sale for 9.6 was $1,579.  Just dumb, ignorant buyers.  Buy it slabbed for a similar cost and be assured it resto-free.  

You'd think that if you dropped a chunk of change you'd do a bit of due diligence...