• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speculation fails - what happens to those who... remain!
2 2

94 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, october said:
20 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Guess I read the question wrong-- I thought this was about what happens to the speculators who remain after they fail-- not what happens to those of us still in the hobby after the speculators have failed.

Personally-- I will still have my books, most of which I have had since I was 14. That kid is screwed.

When one speculation fails? Nothing. When the market enters a downturn? They bail, and we are left picking up the pieces. 

Which is not necessarily a bad thing . . . :whistle:

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I know some knucklehead that speculates in GA Batman's. Cant imagine him ever making his money back.

batman25.jpg

Very, very nice.

The fact that GA has been swept up in the recent spec game is very interesting to me. On one hand, speculation has its various drawbacks, for the hobby and industry, and those are all well documented here on the boards. But on the OTHER hand...at least they're buying cool stuff. The popularity of variants, incentive covers, 9.8 moderns makes sense to me with that crowd. But I never would have foreseen the sudden and massive upswing in popularity for PCH, Planets, GGA, etc. 

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The fact that GA has been swept up in the recent spec game is very interesting to me. On one hand, speculation has its various drawbacks, for the hobby and industry, and those are all well documented here on the boards. But on the OTHER hand...at least they're buying cool stuff. The popularity of variants, incentive covers, 9.8 moderns makes sense to me with that crowd. But I never would have foreseen the sudden and massive upswing in popularity for PCH, Planets, GGA, etc. 

You're gonna trigger me...

5 minutes ago, october said:

The comics are incidental. They are collecting social media cache. Once that is used up they need to find another book to show off, which means flipping the old one. 

Not all of them are like that, but enough are for me to take notice. 

Mic drop cuz it is true

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have seen a lot of younger (to me) 20's and early '30's flippers enter the market in my area. They hit me up hard for PCH and GA hot keys and covers. They pay through the nose and flip amoungst themselves and on Instrgram. They make VERY little profit if any (and often lose money). It is like a drug to them. The grab and the quick flip. Not much love for the books.  I hear the "it's for my private collection" or "I've been looking for that one forever", which means nothing to me anyway. It's kind of sad actually. I wonder how long many of them will be doing it. Good for me but I would rather see these guys stay around for the long term and for the right reasons.

If someone's flipping, I wonder the need to say, "It's for my private collection." Perhaps it's in hopes of getting a price break. 

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

If someone's flipping, I wonder the need to say, "It's for my private collection." Perhaps it's in hopes of getting a price break. 

That is my experience, typically said to negotiate a lower price.  I have sold books before that were for peoples permanent collection, would never see the light of day again only to see them in a few months later for sell.  Disappointing to me but once I sell them, not mine anymore.

34 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Might easily work on me - I'm less aggressive about getting 'top dollar' especially if I got the book much cheaper, and like the idea of two 'winners' (me for selling, the buyer because he got a discount, a good feeling that might even carry into the next day or two).

Selling at a discount from the max amount I could easily get, just to provide a profit to the other, psychologically makes me feel a sucker (I'm not pretending it's a rational reaction), not a person who just did a favor and made some money at the same time.  It's why I sell on feebay despite the monetary costs compared to here, stay clear all the underlying personalities and possible drama, just mercenary dealing, makes no friends but OTOH no enemies either (well, plus I've a lot of junk). 

I have no problem with speculators and books becoming hot because of TV show, movies, etc.

It adds to the thrill of the hunt, finding a once cheap book still cheap in a bin that you can now get $15-30 for. Heck, sometimes I flip said books because a lot of the time they are newer and I don't care as much about them. I would rather make $25 in profit and put that towards something I actually want. That being said, I don't chase or try to speculate. I find I am not "connected" enough to get the news soon enough nor do I care enough to do so. But I do follow a couple select Youtube channels for the purpose of educating and knowing what the community thinks is hot so I don't miss out on the possibility of turning something previously worth cover price into a little extra coin for a desired book.

For example, I bought Carnage USA #1 a couple years ago for $2. Just because. Did not love the issue, so it sat in my bins for the past 5 years or so. Now, it can sell for $25-30. So I sold it. Figure I would rather have some money and knock off an ASM issue I am missing instead:)

Edited by comicginger1789

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Yes. I have no problem selling a book to almost anyone with no strings attached. It is entirely up to them what they do with it once it's theirs. If they make some dough, cool, they will be back for more. I don't need to squeek every nickle out of a book.

What I don't like though are LIARS. I know the game. If you want a lower price ask. I don't need to know why. I can always say yes or no. I just don't like people who don't tell the truth. I have caught most of the locals here trying to use that tactic posting on ebay or Instagram. Or when one of their buddies proudly shows off a book they bought from the "private collector" I sold it to. Yeah, I pay attention.

I took a gamble on Avengers #47 CGC 9.8 when I heard that the Black Knight maybe in Endgame.  That being said there wasn't too much risk because I bought it at the going price at the time however I did miss the spike in price where I would have made around $1200 :tonofbricks:.  I bought it at Comic Connect and by the time I received it the price started dropping, man they take too long to ship stuff.  

Edited by Xenosmilus

OK, my name is Robot Man and I am a punk...

I remember the day Walking Dead #1 came out. A pile on the rack at cover price. I'm a horror guy so I grabbed one and thumbed it. Didn't like the art so I put it back.  :sorry:

I don't speculate on new books. Too easy to make more on vintage ones...

4 hours ago, grebal said:

Might easily work on me - I'm less aggressive about getting 'top dollar' especially if I got the book much cheaper, and like the idea of two 'winners' (me for selling, the buyer because he got a discount, a good feeling that might even carry into the next day or two).

Selling at a discount from the max amount I could easily get, just to provide a profit to the other, psychologically makes me feel a sucker (I'm not pretending it's a rational reaction), not a person who just did a favor and made some money at the same time.  It's why I sell on feebay despite the monetary costs compared to here, stay clear all the underlying personalities and possible drama, just mercenary dealing, makes no friends but OTOH no enemies either (well, plus I've a lot of junk). 

To those who have never met Grebal in person, he’s a good soul.