• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speculation fails - what happens to those who... remain!
2 2

94 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Episode IX: 2019. Katherine Langford is cast in Avengers: Endgame. And she has red hair. And her role's a mystery. I think it's a sneak appearance by Firestar. And buy a few copies, including a 9.6. Of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends # 1. (Gag!)  Spoiler: She doesn't appear. Like, she's not in the movie after all. As any character.  :facepalm:

The Russos got ya.

#pwned

Deadpool secret secret wars 3(?)

Bought a couple near mint copies for $10 total...

Thinking it would be labeled as 1st venom pool or some such lol

I still have them...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Ah it was #3

16 hours ago, october said:

The comics are incidental. They are collecting social media cache. Once that is used up they need to find another book to show off, which means flipping the old one. 

Not all of them are like that, but enough are for me to take notice. 

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Mic drop cuz it is true

Right, people aren't allowed to actually like new comics anymore. At least, if you read the General section that is the case.

21 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Right, people aren't allowed to actually like new comics anymore. At least, if you read the General section that is the case.

Glad to hear you finally admit new comics suck - we can officially close that debate.

I've had a few fails speculating. I bought a 9.8 (PGX I think?) of Thief of Thieves 1 because it was going to be the next Walking Dead. Sold it a year or so later and lost $50 or something. I still have a Rai 0 somewhere that I planned on flipping. Nowadays I don't really speculate on newer stuff. I more stick to flipping really. But I get stuff I like (SA and BA) that I know the market for better. If I make money that's pretty cool. If I don't or lose some that's ok too. I chalk those ones to the fact that I enjoy acquiring and grading them. To me it's just a fun hobby. There are definitely books that are for my collection. But I do enjoy flipping and occasionally speculating. I would definitely make more money having a part-time minimum wage job than I do flipping comics, but I don't think I'd have as much fun.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, batman_fan said:

I know some knucklehead that speculates in GA Batman's. Cant imagine him ever making his money back.

batman25.jpg

Oh yeah, this guy is bonkers, but I will say he picks out copies with nice eye appeal

750881F4-4EDA-4745-8FE5-5472276F7325.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

Who the heck really knows what goes on in each individual mind that transits through a few or even several years in this hobby??? Case in point, I stopped in an LCS today and found they had a fairly large (approx 20 short boxes) mostly bronze/smudge of silver collection on consignment. The vast majority of the books were at least FVF with many, many in the VF and NM ranges. Only a couple outliers were lower grade, mostly among his silver. Clearly, the guy grew up in the 70's.

The store owner said the guy bought off the racks and bought a few of any he thought might take off. So what did I see in multiples? At least 30 Black Panther #1, just as many 2001 #1 (but a half dozen #6 too), half a dozen MTU annual #1 (X-Men appearances were a thing back then), two Ghost Rider #1 and Hero for Hire #1 each, and....161 copies of Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #1.

I'm blanking on what else, but there were many lesser bronze Marvel #1's in quantities of 6-10 each, as well as some better ones (Ms Marvel #1 and Nova #1, come to think of it.) The guy was both a run collector and "investor" it seems. 

My personal takeaways/reminders were: 1) speculating/flipping is not new to the hobby, and 2) there is a LOT of high grade bronze still,out there, just starting to resurface.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Y'all are punks.

Seriously?

No one's willing to come forth with some spectacular speculation fails?

Okay. Here's the one's that sting (for reference, I'm in my early 40s but started collecting in 1989 w/ the Batman movie). I'm primarily a fan / collector, but here are my most memorable speculation fails:

Episode I: Comicfest '93 in Philly -- the beginning of the bust. With $50 in my pocket, I'm stuck with a decision. Do I buy:

a) I, Lusiphur # 1 in 9.0/9.2 for $45 (keep in mind Poison Elves # 1 is a $20 book)

b) All-Star Western # 10 in 9.0/9.2 for $45

c) Bone # 1 in 9.6 for $50

Tough choice, but I bought the All-Star Western for $45. Sold it 8 years later for $260. Buyer was happy. Turns out CGC couldn't encapsulate it though, due to an overhang. It later sells (still raw on eBay) a few years later for just $131. I'm the under-bidder, and I kick myself for not reacquiring it.

As it turns out, Drew Hayes dies and Poison Elves (thus, demand for I, Lusiphur) with him.

I told my buddy to buy the Bone # 1 for $50. Instead, he goes all-in on Ultraverse (hottest thing at the show, the next Valiant). Bummer.

YES!

So very great to see Comicfest '93 get the occasional mention. It was the epicenter for a lot of the early-90's phenomena.  The Spawnmobile, Alex Ross marketing Marvels, the physical manifestation of the David/McFarlane fued at the Wizard awards and of course the boom-soon-to-be-bust of many properties like the Ultraverse.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:50 AM, Readcomix said:

Who the heck really knows what goes on in each individual mind that transits through a few or even several years in this hobby??? Case in point, I stopped in an LCS today and found they had a fairly large (approx 20 short boxes) mostly bronze/smudge of silver collection on consignment. The vast majority of the books were at least FVF with many, many in the VF and NM ranges. Only a couple outliers were lower grade, mostly among his silver. Clearly, the guy grew up in the 70's.

The store owner said the guy bought off the racks and bought a few of any he thought might take off. So what did I see in multiples? At least 30 Black Panther #1, just as many 2001 #1 (but a half dozen #6 too), half a dozen MTU annual #1 (X-Men appearances were a thing back then), two Ghost Rider #1 and Hero for Hire #1 each, and....161 copies of Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #1.

I'm blanking on what else, but there were many lesser bronze Marvel #1's in quantities of 6-10 each, as well as some better ones (Ms Marvel #1 and Nova #1, come to think of it.) The guy was both a run collector and "investor" it seems. 

My personal takeaways/reminders were: 1) speculating/flipping is not new to the hobby, and 2) there is a LOT of high grade bronze still,out there, just starting to resurface.

I like this response and the story as well. 

My contribution to the OP would be to mention the collectors, who don't purchase and acquire in the ways that most of us do.  I have and I know that a few others also have a comic room in the house. That became necessary because of my habit of hitting dollar boxes at every con that I attend.

But there are (hard as it is to believe) collectors out there who are able to fit every book they own in a short box. My understanding of these folks comes from this experience: my ex-GF got me into collecting Funko pops.  We watched the market like folks here watch comic sales.  Every now and then we might notice that a harder-to-find pop figure (let's say Elvis, which was released early and is fairly rare) sells for a crazy amount, like $5000. This of course happens regularly with pops at the $50, $100 and $500 level, too.  After spending time in that collecting community and learning how they spend money, it became clear that there are individuals who want just one or two favorites personalities or characters and they are willing to pay whatever amount to acquire the special few.

They don't care what the market forces at work are - determining the price - effecting supply and demand - what "paying too much" or "at the peak" looks like - etc.  All that they know is that they have a fistful of dollars and they can use it to obtain an item for a certain number at that moment.

Extrapolate that to a book like Batman Adventures #12.  Imagine a a young person who just got their first well-paying job and loves the character, Harley Quinn.  Just like some of their peers may splurge for a $500 or $2000 handbag - that particular fan may shell out the dough for a comic or two that makes them happy. Again, totally ignoring all of the market forces that we spend hours and years studying to speculate, collect, invest and time the market.  After the hoopla dies down and the going price of the book drops due to lower demand, do you know what that person is left with...?

...a book that they love and makes them happy to own.

Back in the 90s, there were a -load of collectors who would brag about how they just picked up a HOT book and it would make them rich in some undetermined future.  I haven't heard anyone talk like that in nearly two decades.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:12 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I know a guy who “invested” pretty heavily into New Mutants 98 during the Deadpool pop a couple years ago.  Pretty much lost his A on several 9.8 and 9.6 copies.  He bought too late in the game and paid pretty steep prices. He was new into collecting and got swept up in the idea of making a quick buck.  He learned his lesson.

You wouldn't happen to be talking about Boston Corbett here, would you?  hm

Our now long gone economics professor who had paid over $12K for what was then the highest graded copy of NM 98 and then came onto the boards expounding and lecturing to all of us how this book could only go up in value over time.  lol  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, camera73 said:

I like this response and the story as well. 

My contribution to the OP would be to mention the collectors, who don't purchase and acquire in the ways that most of us do.  I have and I know that a few others also have a comic room in the house. That became necessary because of my habit of hitting dollar boxes at every con that I attend.

But there are (hard as it is to believe) collectors out there who are able to fit every book they own in a short box. My understanding of these folks comes from this experience: my ex-GF got me into collecting Funko pops.  We watched the market like folks here watch comic sales.  Every now and then we might notice that a harder-to-find pop figure (let's say Elvis, which was released early and is fairly rare) sells for a crazy amount, like $5000. This of course happens regularly with pops at the $50, $100 and $500 level, too.  After spending time in that collecting community and learning how they spend money, it became clear that there are individuals who want just one or two favorites personalities or characters and they are willing to pay whatever amount to acquire the special few.

They don't care what the market forces at work are - determining the price - effecting supply and demand - what "paying too much" or "at the peak" looks like - etc.  All that they know is that they have a fistful of dollars and they can use it to obtain an item for a certain number at that moment.

Extrapolate that to a book like Batman Adventures #12.  Imagine a a young person who just got their first well-paying job and loves the character, Harley Quinn.  Just like some of their peers may splurge for a $500 or $2000 handbag - that particular fan may shell out the dough for a comic or two that makes them happy. Again, totally ignoring all of the market forces that we spend hours and years studying to speculate, collect, invest and time the market.  After the hoopla dies down and the going price of the book drops due to lower demand, do you know what that person is left with...?

...a book that they love and makes them happy to own.

Back in the 90s, there were a -load of collectors who would brag about how they just picked up a HOT book and it would make them rich in some undetermined future.  I haven't heard anyone talk like that in nearly two decades.

I can't think of anyone who got "rich" selling comic books.

Maybe the Fish at Metro. No, he was rich to begin with. Maybe richer.

Probably Chuckles at Mile High. Although he didn't get rich selling that collection, he got rich from the proceeds of it. That, and a lot of hard work and years of paying his dues.

Most people make lunch money or if we are lucky, enough to support our habit...

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I can't think of anyone who got "rich" selling comic books.

Maybe the Fish at Metro. No, he was rich to begin with. Maybe richer.

Probably Chuckles at Mile High. Although he didn't get rich selling that collection, he got rich from the proceeds of it. That, and a lot of hard work and years of paying his dues.

Most people make lunch money or if we are lucky, enough to support our habit...

If someone was amassing a high end collection in the 70s and 80s and are selling now there was a lot of room for growth. Of course, if they focused on Dells and westerns in the 70s they might be SOOL. Even if they bought restored books, provided they were big time books, they probably did better than the S&P.

Edited by the blob

A few months ago I was in Midtown Comics, probably trying to track down a Valiant variant. I mostly read Valiant, but have a small idea at what's going on at Marvel and DC. I know that Bendis recently went to DC, and see a new book by him, Naomi #1, on the shelf. "Maybe this is DC's Alias?" I think, and wonder if it's the first appearance. I get on my phone and find that the first appearance is in Green Arrow, and put it back on the shelf. I later find that it's a different Naomi, and now the book s on fire.

7 hours ago, camera73 said:

YES!

So very great to see Comicfest '93 get the occasional mention. It was the epicenter for a lot of the early-90's phenomena.  The Spawnmobile, Alex Ross marketing Marvels, the physical manifestation of the David/McFarlane fued at the Wizard awards and of course the boom-soon-to-be-bust of many properties like the Ultraverse.

To say nothing of Knightfall, Warriors of Plasm and everybody holding their breath for the forthcoming Neal Adams/Todd McFarlane Spawn / Valeria the She-Bat crossover that never actually happened. Day-um was that a good show.