• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It was BOUND to happen, show us your Bound Volumes and Books removed from them.
3 3

125 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Been on a bound volume kick this week. I have picked up many over the years and shown a lot of them here. An inexpensive and fun way to read GA comics. So many surprises await in those some times un-marked volumes. Many are usually one of a kind. Publisher's file copies down to the ones that fans had done to preserve and read their books. Am I alone in loving these hard cover books? Post 'em if you love 'em!

I'll get the ball rolling with these. Was at a flea market one day and spied a nice bound volume of Hot Rod Magazine open on a dealer's table. It was a complete year for 1953. Well, it looked cool and figured that if I didn't want it, I could easily sell it to a local gear head for a little profit. It had no markings on the book and if closed, I never would have known. I asked the guy about it and he said "The Hot Rod is $15. and the comic ones are $10. each". The comic ones??? I quickly pawed through the pile of books he had and came up up with 3 un-marked bound volumes of comic books from 1951-1953. I quickly thumbed them. One looked like all PCH, One was a mishmash of titles including Crime, GGA, Superheros and one was mostly humor until I hit Mystery in Space #1 and Space Detective #1. I quickly just paid the man full asking price and took off. I couldn't wait to get home with them. Some guy apparently just had his comics bound by year.

boundvoulumeone2terrorsjungle17.jpg

boundvoulumeone5mystic.jpg

boundvoulumeone6weirdthrillers.jpg

boundvoulumeone8chamberofchills.jpg

boundvoulumeone10spaceaction1.jpg

Boy, it will be hard to top this one for the sheer cross-section of super cool comics! One gem after another!

What an amazing time capsule from an era in comics that has so, so many fans.  :applause:

I've always wanted a bound volume and bid on a few but never won. Perhaps the coolest one I ever saw was in the early nineties at a shop in Burbank that dealt in movie collectibles. It was a bound set of Walt Disney Comics and Stories 1-12. Price was beyond my means at the time but I sure wish I could have afforded it then. It would have made completing that run so much easier!

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've always wanted a bound volume and bid on a few but never won. Perhaps the coolest one I ever saw was in the early nineties at a shop in Burbank that dealt in movie collectibles. It was a bound set of Walt Disney Comics and Stories 1-12. Price was beyond my means at the time but I sure wish I could have afforded it then. It would have made completing that run so much easier!

Too bad, that would be awsome! Age old story, bad timing... closest I have is a two volume set of all the Barks DD one shots from 4-Color 9 to the end. Got it from a friend who carefully selected them from Cherokee Books in the 1960’s. When he completed them, he got them professionally bound along with Scrooge #1-40 in two volumes which I also bought. Just HAD to buy them. 

Sal Dicera, (Redbeard’s pal) from the Bay Area, has Looney Tunes #1-12 in a bound volume but he wants a king’s ransome for it...

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Boy, it will be hard to top this one for the sheer cross-section of super cool comics! One gem after another!

What an amazing time capsule from an era in comics that has so, so many fans.  :applause:

Yeah, it was amazing. I was just so shocked, I just paid him and really didn’t go through them until I got home. Was so much fun paging through them and wondering what would be next. Even though, I had the greatest majority of them already, I’ve kept them anyway. Still fun to pull out and read such a great cross section of PCH anytime I want.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Alright, let's get on down to Funky Town...

Picked up this oddity from Terry Stroud at SDCC many years ago. Those of you who know Terry, know how he is about his "set up". Sometimes it takes him a whole show to do it. I spotted this on top of a box partially covered up by a towel on the floor of his booth. I picked it up, thumbed through it for a minute and asked him the price. As he usually is, he was in "his zone" and told me he didn't know to come back later. But I wanted it and was persistant. He turned to me and said OK, OK, gimme $20. for it. Out came a crisp Hamiliton and off I went with my new prize.

Obviously made by a kid or a fan back in the pre-code era. The kid pulled the cover off this Atlas War Adventures, grabbed about 25 other pre-code Atlas, EC and DC war books and wrapped paper tape around the spine to make a "book". Crude but effecient as it has lasted the ravages of time. Oddities like this that were well loved by some kid back before I was born are just so much fun to find and have!

What's the grade? How much is it worth? Priceless and at least, it's not "trimmed"  :roflmao:

And before the PM's start rolling in (as if they would), It's NFS!

comatlaswarannual1.jpg

comatlaswarannual2.jpg

comatlaswarannual3.jpg

Love this....  I'm sure you were pumped to get it for $20.

I've actually seen more bound pulp volumes than comics, I know I saw a lot in a college library back around 1990.  I can't even remember the titles, though.

Here's one book I have that was clearly rescued from a bound volume.  Happy to have it, this is NOT an easy issue to find even by the standards of Venus:

Venus_08.jpg

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Too bad, that would be awsome! Age old story, bad timing... closest I have is a two volume set of all the Barks DD one shots from 4-Color 9 to the end. Got it from a friend who carefully selected them from Cherokee Books in the 1960’s. When he completed them, he got them professionally bound along with Scrooge #1-40 in two volumes which I also bought. Just HAD to buy them. 

Sal Dicera, (Redbeard’s pal) from the Bay Area, has Looney Tunes #1-12 in a bound volume but he wants a king’s ransome for it...

Didn't Mike Carbonera have a bound set of the early Looney Tunes at Terry's Show in 2018?

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I've actually seen more bound pulp volumes than comics, I know I saw a lot in a college library back around 1990.  I can't even remember the titles, though.

Here's one book I have that was clearly rescued from a bound volume.  Happy to have it, this is NOT an easy issue to find even by the standards of Venus:

Wow! What college had bound pulps in their library! I should have gone there.

I went to college at Stevens Tech in Hoboken, NJ in the late seventies and early eighties. At the time it was pretty small with our freshman class size about 250 people. Today it is much bigger. On Wednesday's I would go to the library to work on my physics homework. When I got bored I would start looking through the stacks and discovered that the library had bound volumes of LIFE magazine going back to 1940 when it became the photo cover magazine. The issues were so clean it looked like I was the first one to have ever bothered to look at them. I was in Hog Heaven looking at the old car ads and the amazing WWII photos. Great stuff, and much more fun than Physics homework!

3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow! What college had bound pulps in their library! I should have gone there.

I went to college at Stevens Tech in Hoboken, NJ in the late seventies and early eighties. At the time it was pretty small with our freshman class size about 250 people. Today it is much bigger. On Wednesday's I would go to the library to work on my physics homework. When I got bored I would start looking through the stacks and discovered that the library had bound volumes of LIFE magazine going back to 1940 when it became the photo cover magazine. The issues were so clean it looked like I was the first one to have ever bothered to look at them. I was in Hog Heaven looking at the old car ads and the amazing WWII photos. Great stuff, and much more fun than Physics homework!

University of Washington

How 'bout another fun bound volume?

Was purusing the bay a few years ago and ran across this one. At fist, I passed on it then took a second look. It was going REAL cheap so hit a bid and got it. Was surprising a very fun read. Kind of like Ripley's Believe it or not or True comics. I love history and there were several great covers. And man, they were nice, un-read, glossy copies. Maybe put together by an adult stamp collector. Glad to have it.  This is issue #1-7.

bvstamps1.jpg

bvstamps2.jpg

bvstamps3.jpg

bvstamps4.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Then I bumped into this. Had to have it. Nice copy, listed as scarce, great cover and a square bound annual as well. Hits all my bases. I guess I am now complete on Stamps comics!  :roflmao:

Guess I still want to stay out of the Belgain Congo...

bvstamps5.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, podboy66 said:

got this from a Boardie at Terry's Jan show a few years back.  Too bad it was trimmed.

usa7raw.jpg

Wow! On many of the USAs you just kinda gotta take what you find which is ok because there are no bad copies in my opinion. :)