• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crackin' Cautionary Tale
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Purchased this Ohio Plas football cover on HA - hits on several of my current collecting goals. 

Thought it was interesting to compare with same book sold on HA thirteen years prior in 2006, a CGC 9.0.

Crackin' cost someone (guess that would be me now?) 1.5 grade points. 

Looks like a top left corner ding and a little more stress around staple from....reading?  Don't crack out man - I'm telling you just don't do it.

PM10-Ohio-7.5.jpg

PM10-Ohio-9.0.jpg

Edited by path4play

10 hours ago, path4play said:

Purchased this Ohio Plas football cover on HA - hits on several of my current collecting goals. 

Thought it was interesting to compare with same book sold on HA thirteen years prior in 2006, a CGC 9.0.

Crackin' cost someone (guess that would be me now?) 1.5 grade points. 

Looks like a top left corner ding and a little more stress around staple from....reading?  Don't crack out man - I'm telling you just don't do it.

PM10-Ohio-7.5.jpg

PM10-Ohio-9.0.jpg

Did you crack it out yourself? Or did you resubmit the book for reholdering?

13 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Did you crack it out yourself? Or did you resubmit the book for reholdering?

Hi Lady,

No I bought it as 7.5 recently on HA, just researched the history on GPA and found it interesting.  Quite a drop for a crack and read (perhaps original owner is lurking on the boards)?

I noticed another book, Marvel Mystery Comics #9 shows three submissions of a Larson including one Slight Professional.  And yes the SP 5.0 was first, and 6.0 last?  At least that example goes in the "right" direction.

( 6.0 )      Larson pedigree
( 5.5 )      Larson pedigree
SP ( 5.0 )      Larson pedigree

I know probably nothing new here to see, I'm just catching on. 

But cracking does clearly carry some risk, as evidenced by my Plas.

Yeah, you never know.  I've bought slabbed books that have ncb stuff.  Had the books pressed and got back lower grades. Not the usual outcome, of course, but it certainly happens.

Probably more common some years ago, but there were people who thought of CGC as being a resto check/grading check service.  Once they got the book back and knew it had no resto and had CGC's opinion of the grade, they cracked it out and filed it away, having it available to read when they wanted to.