• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sega's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2/14/20)

93 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Ah yes, the many gamers who cry about respecting the creator's artistic vision and not getting them to change anything seem to have changed their turn with this movie :P

TBH, while I'm not a Sonic gamer by any means, I think the "artistic vision" shown in the trailer was thought-up very poorly...

If you're gonna be cartoon-y, just be cartoon-y. Not everything needs to be "realistic". The character of Sonic the Hedgehog just isn't realistic anyways.

13 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

TBH, while I'm not a Sonic gamer by any means, I think the "artistic vision" shown in the trailer was thought-up very poorly...

If you're gonna be cartoon-y, just be cartoon-y. Not everything needs to be "realistic". The character of Sonic the Hedgehog just isn't realistic anyways.

The trailer portrayal deviates so much from the traditional character design, it's almost like Paramount didn't even reflect on the game. The teeth, eyes and fur texture softness, like below is all they need to focus on.

Oh, and let's hope the story didn't get the same treatment as what we saw in the trailer.

Detective Pikachu director weighs in on Sonic the Hedgehog live-action backlash

‘I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes.’

The Verge caught up with Letterman shortly after news came out that Sonic the Hedgehog director Jeff Fowler announced Sonic would get a redesign in Paramount’s live-action adaptation, following intense backlash online. Fowler didn’t suggest if the film’s release date would be pushed back to accommodate the overhaul.

Letterman told The Verge he “just heard about the Sonic situation 15 minutes ago,” adding he didn’t envy the position that Fowler and Paramount have found themselves in. Deciding to alter a main character’s design just a few months ahead of its scheduled release probably wasn’t easy to do, Letterman says. Although he couldn’t speak to Fowler or Paramount’s process into reworking Sonic’s look, he did offer some insight into how impossible it would have been for his Detective Pikachu team to take on such a dramatic undertaking.

“There’s no right or wrong to how you make one of these movies,” Letterman says. “It would be very difficult for us to redesign anything. We spent a year designing all the characters ahead of shooting so that we could get it all right. If we were off by an inch on Pikachu, [actor] Justice Smith’s performance would go right out the window. For us, it would have been impossible — but that doesn’t mean they can’t do it. I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes — they’re in a difficult spot.”

And now due to Sonic, Detective Pikachu gets even more positive press how much the director focused on getting the character right.

:whatthe:

The amount of changes they can actually do to Sonic might be limited, as they need to maintain sight lines with the actors in all the existing footage. So changing Sonics height is possibly one oft the few things that will be off the table, and really I don't think it will help the overall quality of the film itself (It will get some hesitant butts into the seats, but otherwise this might be a classic polishing-a-turd scenario)

Edited by Sauce Dog
spelling

Following the Sonic The Hedgehog movie's director Jeff Fowler's decision to fix Sonic's design after fan outcry, he has now announced that the film will be pushed back to February 14, 2020 to make the iconic character "just right."Announced on Twitter,Fowler said that the team needs a bit more time and, in response to people's fear that this design shift would impact those VFX artists that would have to crunch to make the original date of November 8, 2019, possible, he reassured that "#novfxartistswereharmedinthemakingofthismovie."

No surprise. And most probably a wise move.

The upcoming live-action Sonic the Hedgehog film has had something of a rocky reception. After releasing a trailer earlier this year which was immediately criticized for its unusual design choices in regards to Sonic, director Jeff Fowler revealed that the film would see its main character redesigned ahead of release. The movie was later delayed, seemingly to accommodate the necessary work required to essentially redo large portions of it.

Since then, the official production has been relatively quiet, with the official Twitter account left silent, but producer Tim Miller has now commented on the redesign ahead of San Diego Comic-Con 2019.

Speaking with Variety ahead of SDCC 2019, Miller, who is perhaps best known for directing Deadpool, confirmed that he'd seen the new designs for Sonic and that "fans will be pleased." He also spoke more broadly about the reaction to the initial trailer, and how he and Fowler handled it in the immediate aftermath.

"Look, I was with fans and so was Jeff," Miller said. "When the s–t hit the fan, I went over there and said, 'The most important thing to do, man, is say, 'I f–ked up.' He’d already sent a tweet out an hour before I got there. He’s a good man. It was exactly the right way to handle that. The fans have a voice in this too. There’s a right way to listen."

6 hours ago, Hawkman said:

Not sure if this will be any good, but I love the casting of Jim Carrey. He looked great, and perfect, in the clips I saw.

He is wacky enough to make it interesting if they crafted the character outlandish enough.

But I am also hoping with the trailer response now the movie creators go full-bore Sonic to make him match the look and feel of the character. They will probably be gun-shy to not take it to the extreme.

10 minutes ago, Antpark said:

A much improved version of Sonic. And as mentioned, The Flash comics scene was a nice reference. 

Due to the studio's logical actions of pulling the film to allow for sufficient corrections, I hope at least that leads to success.