• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sega's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2/14/20)

93 posts in this topic

its for kids and twentysomethings. saw it w my 5 year old yesterday and he loved it. theater was full of little kids and some college age kids too. it was done well enough that parents, like me, had enough laughs to not be bored. jim carrey also makes it more fun, which i would not really have believed. 

The online outcry over the first Sonic the Hedgehog trailer caused Paramount to fix the title character’s design and give it what turned out to be a much more beneficial release date.

Sonic the Hedgehog, starring James Marsden and Jim Carrey, raced to the top of the box office this holiday weekend, earning a superb $58 million Fri-Sun cume for a $70 million four-day cume. It’s the biggest Fri-Sun launch ever for a video game movie, second when adjusted for inflation behind only Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider ($47 million in 2001/$77 million adjusted). Good reviews helped, as did the fact that audiences young and old wanted to see a Sonic movie. But the film’s most significant source of pre-release controversy accidentally gave the movie a big boost. Yes, I’m talking about the creepy, more “realistic” Sonic animation that caused a ruckus after the release of the first trailer. The outcry caused course correction and what turned out to be a very beneficial date change.

As you recall, the first trailer, featuring a more “humanoid” version of Sonic the Hedgehog, debuted in late April to immediate online outrage. Sure, everything causes reactions of outrage and/or snark these days, but the outpouring of disapproval was strong enough for the director Jeff Fowler to take to Twitter to assure folks that the designs would be changed to more closely match the video game versions. As much as I’m loathed to argue that filmmakers should “listen to the Internet” when it comes to crafting these IP-specific films, even the kids were appalled. This wasn’t loud adults complaining about how a critically acclaimed and $1.333 billion-grossing The Last Jedi “ruined” Star Wars. Snarky adults had their fun, but the design did not look remotely as “cute” as Pikachu, Peter Rabbit or Baby Yoda.

With decent reviews, strong word of mouth (including an A from CinemaScore) and little in the way of “new” kiddie competition (unless Call of the Wild pulls a miracle) until Pixar’s Onward next month, it’s more likely than not that Sonic the Hedgehog will pass $150 million to A) pass Detective Pikachu’s $144 million domestic cume to become the biggest video game-based movie of all time and B) pass Mortal Kombat’s inflation-adjusted gross ($70 million in 1995/$145 million adjusted) to become the second-biggest “tickets sold” video game movie behind Tomb Raider ($131 million/$211 million).  Now it’s entirely possible that a Sonic movie would have opened well regardless in mid-November, with the online handwringing being about as effective as it was for Aladdin. But the date change turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Edited by Bosco685

On 2/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, paperheart said:

I realize you like to take a more negative tone with many films. But I think now Metacritic has proven out when it rates some films harshly with the critic pool it aggregates, it also misses the boat at times. Joker and now from the sounds of it Sonic will join that list.

I saw 2 different movies this weekend (not Sonic).  Both times, the place was PACKED with younger kids and their parents.  I wasn't surprised when I woke up and found that Sonic has the highest opening weekend of any video game movie to date.  It beat out Detective Pikachu by a little. 

I'll be taking my 6-year old soon.  He's excited.  I showed him the trailer and he's been spin-dashing around the house ever since. 

So the wife, kids (age 10 and 7) and I saw the movie.  It was excellent!  There was absolutely no "Video Game Curse" on this film.  I'd say the theater was about 1/2 full (1:30pm matinee).  Everyone seemed to enjoy the movie and when the after credit scene came up there was more than a few people applauding.

I'd give this a solid "A" for a rating.

1 minute ago, Grails said:

Calling something garbage based on the opinions of others? I don’t know, it could be, I haven’t seen it. Kids seem to love it so it must have some good qualities.

It's an act, played out to establish credibility. Fun times!