• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sega's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2/14/20)

93 posts in this topic

I took my 6 year old yesterday.  He LOVED it!

I thought it was well-paced and entertaining.  Keep in mind that it's a PG movie and I'm certainly NOT the target demographic.  That said, I never found myself bored and I even laughed out loud a few times. 

I like James Marsden (X-Men, 30 Rock, Sex Drive, Enchanted...all good).  Ben Schwartz nailed the Sonic voice/personality.  Jim Carrey was great in all his Carrey-ness.  I thought he was terrific. 

This movie tops my list for best Video Game movie for sure.  It's certainly high on the list for best PG movie of the last 10 years or so.  This movie gets two thumbs up from me.  (thumbsu(thumbsu

...Rock-onnaissance lol

I finally saw this film. I really enjoyed it! They really captured the look and spunk of Sonic. Thankfully they modified his look after the initial trailer dropped and they got a really good voice actor to portray him. Jim Carrey was great as the over the top villain, and thankfully they limited his screen time so we could get more interaction between Sonic and James Marsden's character. Looking forward to the sequel after the post closing credits scene. 

Sonic the Hedgehog has topped Pokemon: Detective Pikachu in North America—becoming the biggest video game movie ever in domestic grosses—and Resident Evil: Afterlife worldwide.

Amid some soft debuts, which can only somewhat be blamed on the coronavirus pandemic, Sonic the Hedgehog will today pass the $144 million domestic cume of Justice Smith and Ryan Reynolds’ Pokémon: Detective Pikachu. Sonic the Hedgehog, starring Ben Schwartz, James Marsden and Jim Carrey, will be the highest-grossing video-game-based movie ever in unadjusted domestic grosses.

It still has to hit $156 million domestic, which is now a coin toss, to get past the inflation-adjusted grosses of Pokémon: The First Movie ($85 million in 1999) and Mortal Kombat ($70 million in 1995), but it’s now almost certain to be the first video game-based movie to top $150 million domestic. The inflation-adjusted cume of Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider ($131 million in 2001/$211 million adjusted) turned out to be a pipe dream, but I digress.

The $85 million-budgeted Paramount picture has passed the $300 million unadjusted global total of Resident Evil: Afterlife ($60 million domestic and $300 million global in 2010). It should be just over/under the $312 million global cume of Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (including just $26 million domestic but $154 million in China alone in 2017). Presuming it ends up below $330 million in the end, it’ll be below only Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ($90 million domestic and $330 million global in 2010), Angry Birds ($107 million/$352 million in 2016), Rampage ($101 million/$428 million in 2018), Detective Pikachu ($144 million/$430 million in 2019) and Warcraft ($48 million domestic/$438 million in 2016). Yes, Sega’s Sonic smash would have likely raced to the top of the video game movie list had it played in China.