• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Seller not Disclosing Damage

14 posts in this topic

Hi all!

On Ebay i have recently purchased Wolverine #1 (1982), however there is notable damage that wasn't disclosed in the pictures or description. I am fairly new to Ebay and still really want the book, so can anyone tell me the etiquette of sending a complaint to a seller and if partial refunds exist?

Many thanks!  

21 minutes ago, Toby_breeze said:

Hi all!

On Ebay i have recently purchased Wolverine #1 (1982), however there is notable damage that wasn't disclosed in the pictures or description. I am fairly new to Ebay and still really want the book, so can anyone tell me the etiquette of sending a complaint to a seller and if partial refunds exist?

Many thanks!  

Send a friendly message through eBay's messaging system to the seller noting the damage and ask how he'd like to handle it.  Put the ball in his court.

As a rule, I NEVER allow for partial refunds.  If someone has an issue, I quickly refund in full once the original item is back in my possession.  Partial refunds are often abused by those just looking to save some money, so many sellers don't deal with them.  Some do, but many don't.

If he suggests a partial refund that is acceptable, take it and leave positive feedback.  If he offers a full refund, take it and leave positive feedback.  If you plan on keeping the book if the only thing he's going to offer is a full refund, I wouldn't even bother reaching out as that would indicate the damage isn't too significant for you.  The book is not rare and can easily be had in any condition at any time. 

1 hour ago, Toby_breeze said:

Hi all!

Many thanks!  

The etiquette is about the same as any one-on-one transaction. Treat him with the same regard as you'd like if your positions were reversed.

Turtle gave some good advice - many sellers on ebay (especially the more experienced or cynical) might see you as playing an old game, because some buyers in past have abused lenient policies.  They may balk if it looks like you're just fishing for a part-refund and mistakenly think you are insincere.

Best is to politely explain why you're unhappy, and be prepared to return book for full refund (like others I don't offer part-refunds, but I'm a tiny seller there and rarely miss any important defect or wear in desciption).  The best chance of getting a part refund might be to not ask for that.

My typical response to someone who says some damage was not disclosed and they want a partial refund is to tell them to send the book back. If they simple mention that they found some damage, provide some images of the damage, and tell me they were not aware of this when they bought it since no mention was made-- I would probably either give them a full refund or partial depending on how extensive it was.

Like others have said, it is all about how you approach the subject. Not accusing them of ripping you off is a great start (and some people do this to their detriment). If I feel like I am on the defensive immediately, I am more likely to want to end the whole thing and tell them to send it back for a refund.

Other times-- it was a legitimate mistake on my part. One buyer purchased several comics from me and got combined shipping. Then he sent me a note saying he found item X was missing the center wrap. Having NOT checked the book thoroughly, I realized this might have been missed by me as that book was from a group of comics I bought (though not for that specific comic). I refunded the guy the price of that book and told him to go ahead and keep it.

Damage during shipping can be a little trickier. One seller sent me a book unprotected in an envelope and the result was a piece of that book separated at the top corner. I sent them image evidence of the damage and also some advice on how to better ship comic books- not in an accusatory tone but more in a "best methods" type of advice. I got thanks for the advice and a full refund-- which I did not ask for-- they just offered it as thanks for the advice.

One thing to add here-- when you are buying on ebay, look at the types of items the person has sold before as well as their feedback for clues regarding their understanding of how to pack a comic book. It is perfectly acceptable to give them some pointers on how best to pack an item if you suspect they rarely or have never sent a comic book in the mail.

I don't consider a partial refund request to be a scam per se... I miss stuff, most of us miss stuff once in a while. If they show me something I missed and I agree that knocks the book from  a VF to Fine, but they want to keep the book, then a partial makes sense. If I missed something huge like a missing page, clipped insides or whatever I just let them have the book for free. I sold a copy (non-CGC, a bit lower grade copy) of this book (which is on the Gerber "rare" or scarce list or something like that, 6 copies on the CGC census) to someone here and missed that some 3 year old had decided to do cut outs on some of the pages. Anyway, the boardie got the book free, at that point I felt terrible:

s-l1600.jpg

If you do ask for a partial refund, make sure you dispassionately detail exactly what the problem is. A lot of sellers miss stuff, or don't care, so if you explain precisely what the problem is...and take pictures of that problem to share....they might be more amenable to a partial refund, since they know you're not trying to rip them off.

And pictures work both ways; if a buyer shows damage that was clearly not visible in the original picture, that's a whole separate issue, and a seller saying "please send pictures of what you're referring to" will scuttle all but the most determined of scammers.

3.0 for the guy and calling him a dunce? Really? That book came out in 1949. The house they appear to live in has very high ceilings-- like a mansion. His TV-- remember, this 1949 - is enormous and he has it right next to the bed watching baseball. Let's n ot forget that he landed this chick you are so enamored with -- who isn't leaving her sugar daddy-- but is upset that he isn't giving her his full attention. That is an Alpha Male there -- not a dunce-- that is a man who gets whatever he wants in life. There is no expiration date on hopping into her bed and going to town during a commercial break. The only thing he is missing is a Dagwood style sammich!

Just ask George if that guy has it made!

h59BDCF53

Edited by 01TheDude

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What a dunce. There's a lady....who's a 9, 9.5 by the way...who is clearly interested, and this guy, at best a 3, is more interested in baseball.

Boo!T

The lyrics of the great Ray Parker Jr:

"I tell you one day you'll come home
Early from work [Home from work]
Open up the door
And get your feelings hurt"

A Woman needs love...just like you do..hoo!

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

I like a good scowl. But then again, baseball is pretty serious business. But then again wowza. I can't decide!

There's no game ever played that can compete with a beautiful woman waiting for you. :cloud9: