• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 121 - Why does CGC label Gwen Stacy's death in quotes?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I wasn't really sure what forum to put this in, but on the Amazing Spider-Man CGC Label they list the note as:

"Death" of Gwen Stacy

What is up with the quotes? They don't appear to use this on other character death notes. I have read through most of the Spider-Man series and, as far as I know, this was the actual death of the character. She was never brought back to life or discovered not to have died. There have been clones of her, but that shouldn't affect the status of the actual Gwen Stacy. Am I wrong on my Spidey history and ASM 121 wasn't her actual death? Or is this just something weird CGC did on this label?

death.PNG

They use the quotes most of the time for all books.  If you've seen labels without the quotes, they are the exception not the rule.

Amazing Spider-Man 121    "Death" of Gwen Stacy.
Daredevil 181    "Death" of Elektra.
Amazing Spider-Man 122    "Death" of the Green Goblin.
Uncanny X-Men 142    "Deaths" of alternate future Wolverine,
Amazing Spider-Man 700    "Death" of Peter Parker.
X-Men 137    "Death" of Phoenix.
X-Men 95    "Death" of Thunderbird.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 3    "Death" of the Joker.
Superman 75    The "Death" of Superman.
Captain America 25    Death of Captain America (Steve Rogers).
Crisis on Infinite Earths 7    "Death" of Supergirl.
Iron Man 2    "Death" of Drexel Cord.
Crisis on Infinite Earths 8    "Death" of the Flash (Barry Allen).
Walking Dead 6    "Death" of Jim & Shane.

The only one without quotes is Captain America 25, and I'm sure they just typed it wrong vs. their standard.

Edited by valiantman

They shouldn't use quotes for walking dead deaths. They stay dead without exception as far as I know. 

It's good they use the quotes though because anyone can potentially be brought back in a fictional world. 

For me the biggest disappointment of a return after death was the Green Goblin. 122 was the perfect ending for him and is still my favorite read. 

3 hours ago, jason4 said:

For me the biggest disappointment of a return after death was the Green Goblin. 122 was the perfect ending for him and is still my favorite read

Yeah that sounds about right. They should've considered a variation of the goblin for Harry in #136. Maybe a few more copies would have been sold?

The post above this one is right. They use quotes because there's always possibility of resurrections

There are many instances in ASM where Parker is a complete jerk. I know he's upset in this scene, but I can't imagine ever saying this to someone even in grief. Not as bad though as the time he hit a pregnant MJ during the clone saga. Great panel for showing MJ's true character though.

It's because all she ever wanted to do it seemed was party and have fun. She was not really there for Peter before this...so it makes sense to me why he would be so angry plus the love of his life just died and she says SHES torn up when she should have said nothing and just stayed there with him.

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

There are many instances in ASM where Parker is a complete jerk. I know he's upset in this scene, but I can't imagine ever saying this to someone even in grief. Not as bad though as the time he hit a pregnant MJ during the clone saga. Great panel for showing MJ's true character though.

See, that's the thing...I don't think that was MJ's true character, up until the last panel. You can see her waffling in the last four panels. She reaches for the door in the 6th panel, opens it in the 7th, looks back at Peter in the 8th...and in between the 8th and the 9th panel, that's when she changed, when she made the decision...for the first time ever...to consider someone else's needs above her own. I get chills just writing about it. In that page, we see a character actually change and grow. It's unbelievably good characterization, showing actual character growth.

Just brilliant.

Sorry, toldja I could write an article about it...hopefully, you already got the answer you were seeking. ;)

Yeah, I was going to post something similar, that she matured that little bit more (more or less) that cause her to change who she was at that point, in response to the exact same quote about "true nature."  She'd become less frivolous and more serious regardless of whether or not we'd never seen that side of her before; it mirrors something we often see in RL or at least good fiction.  But picking the right words is a pain especially given our (comic geeks) propensities to argue over almost nothing at times.  You said it well.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's absolutely magnificent, the type of character development you rarely see in comics, much less super hero mags. It is an absolute diamond, and a transcendent capper to what had gone on the previous two issues. If all comics were written like this, America would be filled with comics readers.

:cloud9:

Sometimes I wonder how it was possible that this was the first comic book that I treked two blocks to the pharmacy to buy.

A friend of mine, probably asking me "you like spider man, don't you? did you see the latest one?"

My father had bought me #108 and #111, but I had never gone to buy one for myself until this issue.

It was years before I recognized how awesome this last page was, but no one could deny it.

I actually thought about this issue last week when I watched Deadpool 2, and Deadpool carrying the guy that killed his girlfriend in front of the speeding car.

The exact weakness that Parker didn't give in to.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, jason4 said:

For me the biggest disappointment of a return after death was the Green Goblin. 122 was the perfect ending for him and is still my favorite read. 

Amen!  Osborn's "death" existed longer than the Parker marriage! 

On 5/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, Brian48 said:

With the number of times characters are resurrected every other week, I'd say it'd be wrong to NOT use the quotes. 

This "decision" was made in the "earliest" days of CGC, and it "turned out" to be a very "wise" one...