• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad eBay auction practices
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I don’t have unlimited funds. So, the offer would have allowed me to bid on something way outside of my usual price range. So, yes. 

That’s why a private offer doesn’t work here. 

I wasn't suggesting you have unlimited funds.  I was suggesting you contact the eBay seller directly to ask for price discovery, which would at least put an end to guessing games. 

I never mentioned making a private offer, I said that if any revealed reserve price was do-able for you, a revised listing with a BIN was a possible way forward.

If it was me, I'd be opening up a dialogue with the seller to see if we could find common ground to break the impasse. . . rather than complain about it on an internet forum.  It's only if exploratory discussions broke down irretrievably that I would feel comfortable about conducting a post mortem publically.

Edited by The Voord

6 hours ago, The Voord said:

. . . rather than complain about it on an internet forum.

But whining is so much more fun, no? Especially when we all know, including and most especially OP, that a deal was never actually going to happen anyway ;)

35 minutes ago, vodou said:

But whining is so much more fun, no? Especially when we all know, including and most especially OP, that a deal was never actually going to happen anyway ;)

Okay, you nailed it.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:22 AM, The Voord said:

Sounds like you're more disgruntled about losing out on the time-limited eBay offer than you are missing out on the artwork  . . .which you'd like to buy, "for less than your max, if possible?"  (yeah, you and everybody else in this hobby).

Instead of going all round the houses, why don't you just contact the seller directly via PM asking for 'best price' he's willing to let the art go at?  He can change the listing to feature an agreed BIN price, timed for when you're watching. If it's not do-able for you, end of story, move on. 

Welp, I tried this on another piece I was interested in. The seller refused to give me a price, so I made an offer. I thought it was within the fair range based upon HA prices for similar pieces, and he just got angry and said it was way too low and would not counter. Now, maybe it was too low - but not crazily so. And then he sold the piece to someone else without even giving me a price at which he would sell it, despite me asking politely for it twice. BTW, this wasn't a "make an offer" or "NFS on CAF type of thing. He said he had other pages of the same type (as the one he put up in the failed eBay auction), and sent me scans. I assumed he was saying they were for sale.

I find it offputting that if you don't make an initial offer in their unknown target range that you would be treated like that. Why not just say what you would be willing to accept for the page? Worst that happens is that I say no. Then, we can both move on.

As for going into debt, it's not really that. You are paying the piece off in installments, with no interest. But, instead of it being at a Delaer or art rep while you pay it off, you get it right away.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

11 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Now, maybe it was too low - but not crazily so.

People often over-value what they have. His reaction was unfortunate but understandable.

I once had a similar problem involving a Tom Mandrake page. I never got it, but someone else did.

I generally don't ask for a price cut unless I know I am on really firm ground, don't care if I don't get it, or am doing it face-to-face where I can evaluate reactions.

10 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The seller refused to give me a price, so I made an offer. I thought it was within the fair range based upon HA prices for similar pieces, and he just got angry and said it was way too low and would not counter. Now, maybe it was too low - but not crazily so. And then he sold the piece to someone else without even giving me a price at which he would sell it, despite me asking politely for it

Yup... My absolute biggest pet peeve in this hobby. I'm not a mind reader! Do some research and soul-searching and give me your number!

6 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Yup... My absolute biggest pet peeve in this hobby. I'm not a mind reader! Do some research and soul-searching and give me your number!

I think it’s fair for someone with an”NFS” on a piece up at CAF to say “I’m not really interested in selling, but if you want to make me a really good offer, go ahead. I may change my mind.” 

But these were being offered to me for sale. In that situation, if I ask “how much” you should tell me.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

People often over-value what they have. His reaction was unfortunate but understandable.

I once had a similar problem involving a Tom Mandrake page. I never got it, but someone else did.

I generally don't ask for a price cut unless I know I am on really firm ground, don't care if I don't get it, or am doing it face-to-face where I can evaluate reactions.

Even if he wasn’t overvaluing what he had, he certainly had every right to counter my offer with what he felt was a fair price. I very well may have agreed. In any case, he evidently got what he wanted out of the piece from another collector.