• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Iron Man 55 undervalued?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Trying to compile a high grade run of Iron Man and want to upgrade my 8.5 OO copy but am going to wait until all this Avengers stuff has run its course before I get the 9.6 copy I want. So yeah I think it is overpriced, at least for me.

The book stayed on a major upward trajectory for years, but it's been unstable in the run-up to Endgame:  Seems like it was across the board dropping a few weeks ago, but I just checked GPA and it's all over the map currently. Probably still has a bit of cooling off to do in the wake of Endgame before I would say it's undervalued and there's a healthy supply out there, so we'll probably hit a point when there are far fewer buyers than sellers.

I sold a few of these over past two years (just sold my last 'extra' recently, a nice F/VF), and I'm keeping my 9.0 raw.  I agree demand will probably be lower a few months from now, but I don't think it will drop like, e.g. FF 45 when Inhumans tv show bombed.  (I don't think that's only reason, because the first Silver Surfer movie bombed but his keys never plunged).  I don't think it's necessarily at its high water mark over the coming years whatever might happen in endgame, Thanos is an unusual creation.

OTOH I sold my 'personal' copy of MSH 13 a little while ago because I thought the popularity for that book exceeded my need to have that book in between MSH 12 and 18.  I never even considered giving up my IM 55 because of its current hotness, though that could be because I'm a long time fan of Starlin's bronze age work, and this is right up there with his Capt Marvels and the Warlock saga.

I sold my cgc 9.6 copy right before infinity war hit it brought a good price I am planning on buying back in around the end of the year. That should give the book some time to cool a little and stabilize in price. I hoping to get back in at a  nice mid grade raw copy for my run and a graded 9.2. 

Oh and to answer the question I think it's over valued and has been for sometime but then again this is just my opinion (:

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I think the numerous other first appearances don't get any respect from this issue, including Drax.

Ah, someone noticed. IM #55 is not only the first appearance of Thanos (albeit a much slimmer version) but Drax, Eros and Mentor.

That said, not a Bronze key, and I see demand slumping soon.

Here's the census breakdown:

9.8  70

9.6  132

9.4  225

with numbers like that it is by no means a rare book.

What is disappointing is how inflated the price is - courtesy of speculation #55 is after #1 the most expensive issue. I believe #2 is undervalued, with the 9.8 SS (Stan Lee) selling for only $1, 825 on last sale, which is down on the previous. 

Perhaps one day some of these unappreciated gems will shine.  :preach: