• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] CLOSING AT BREAKFAST! PRICE CUTS! Thor #133, Conan #58 1st Belit, Strange Tales #130, Doom Patrol #86 1st Brotherhood of Evil & Doom Patrol #121 death of Doom Patrol; Lobo #1

17 posts in this topic

Just upgraded, so I'm making my undercopy of this scarce and historic book available.

:rulez:

First :takeit: wins; tie/indeterminate goes to the thread.

Payment: Money Order or Check.

Don't be listy (tsk) including the little one in my head.

Shipping is $7 within U.S., one book or all. Canada ships at actual.

Returns: Sure, just notify me within three days of receipt and get it back in the same shape on your dime.

Edited by Readcomix

Dell Comics' Lobo #1 (December 1965), the first comic to feature an African-American title character in their own book. 

According to artist Tony Tallarico, copies of the 200,000-print run book were returned in unopened bundles by distributors, as many sellers were put off by the book. Approximately 10,000-15,000 copies were sold, and the title was canceled with #2. Comps are not plentiful; six available and four sales listed on eBay

This copy is about a GD 2.0 with the following flaws: staining, rusty staples, cover detached at top staple, centerfold detached at bottom staple, small piece of front cover missing along right edge.

$80

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Thor #133 in VF/NM. 1st full Ego, the Living Planet. Note one slight nick upper right edge, slight rounding lower left corner, very minimal spine wear, and tiny color-breaking crease up near VC stamp. Gorgeous, flat, glossy copy. $125

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Conan # 58 1st Belit. NM $50

(To clarify, because a great boardie PM'ed me and got me thinking -- this is perhaps best described as the first full Marvel appearance of Belit as a character in Marvel Conan continuity. OSPG calls out Giant-Size Conan #1, but that's a one-off appearance of a blonde with a pirate crew. This is the first appearance of the ongoing character. Fun fact: an authorized Belit first appeared in a Mexican comic book in 1952.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Strange Tales #130 VF/NM 1st Kaecilius; Beatles appearance. I believe this is also the first cover in the run where Dr Strange takes the lead spot on the cover. Flat, glossy copy with three nicks across the top, above the "N" and "G" in the logo, a couple nicks across bottom, below Doc's Iger for, and a color break in the shadow belowmDoc's left knee. $150

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Doom Patrol #121 in FN-. Final issue and death of the Doom Patrol.

(Yes, I know issues 122-124 exist, but they came later and are reprints of earlier material. This was the final original material of the first run.) As Murray Boltinoff and Bruno Premiani explain in their appearance on the splash, barring reader demand, the DP was finished. And for a loooong time, they were. $30

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Okay, that's it for this thread. I only really intended to offer up the Lobo once I got an upgrade. But I've been in the process of reviewing my slabbing candidates pile and, during that same time, I have heard from two different local guys whose books I've been pursuing for the last two years -- both have finally located their books, and I am to be shown the stacks in the next two weeks. (Located sounds odd, I know, but consider both are primarily antiques generalists/house clean-out guys I know who both "have some older comics somewhere.") So I've decided to be make the slabbing pile smaller with a couple unknowns of strong potential in front of me.

Prices are now as follows:

Lobo #1 GD -- $80

Thor #133 VF/NM -- $125

Conan #58 NM -- $50

Strange Tales #130 VF/NM -- $150

Doom Patrol #86 VG/FN -- $80

Doom Patrol #121 FN minus  -- $30

U.S. shipping is $7, one book or all, and Canada ships at actual.

Edited by Readcomix
grades added to post