• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spectacular Spider-Man #1 SS Esposito, Lee to Grade or Not to Grade?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Greetings Folks! 

I currently have in my collection Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (1976) SS CGC 9.8 WP - Signatures from Stan Lee, Mike Esposito, John Romita Sr, and Sal Buscema. 

I am trying to decide if I should get it signed by Gerry Conway to complete the Signatures of this Title? It is already incredibly rare because of the Lee, and Esposito Signatures. There are 71 SS #1 Issues. So far I know of 34 of the 71 and only 2 of those have Esposito, and Stan. Neither have a complete run of Signatures. 

My concern is if I submit it for the Conway Signature, what is the chance it doesn't return a 9.8? I've see lots of 9.8 Books, but this one looks suspect to me already, mainly because it has a little bit of a rounded edge on the lower left, and the book itself isn't the best fold or cut of the book I have seen. I would love to hear peoples thoughts. I already inquired with a respected member and they suggested to not take the chance. I'm inclined to agree, BUT DARN IT! Sure would be nice to get the ENTIRE original cast to sign it! 

Talk some sense into me Community! What would you do?

Thanks! 

Brian W

(slpfi27)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I have to agree with TwoPiece here, the full run of signatures is a wow factor on that.  Is it possible the 9.8 will drop to a 9.6?  Sure but as long as you are careful it certainly could retain the 9.8.

I think the biggest question is, would you be okay if it downgraded to a 9.6? 

If so, then definitely go for it (I enjoy multiple sigs on a book, especially when it completes the list of the book's contributors).

If you are not okay if it downgrades, then I would hold off. 

However, there are definitely some handlers that can do their best to keep it at a 9.8, so I advice talking to them. 

Lastly, if you do get it done, I think you should give us an updated pic with the complete sigs and a congratulations would be in order!

Good luck!

Personally, I do not give a flying rhino about a 9.6 versus a 9.8. To me, the value in that book is the collection of signatures. You have an opportunity to own a one of a kind piece. Whether it is 9.8 or 9.6 is trivial because, in either grade, I doubt there is another. I would do it because it would still be the coolest copy of that issue in existence IMO.

Thank you for the feedback my friends, I submitted this copy to be re-slabbed since it had the older case, and it was a little on the "iffy" side so upon it's return, I believe I will get it signed by Gerry Conway as well. I'll take the chance on the 9.8 to 9.6 Downgrade. Either way it will be on of the rarest Spectacular Spider-Man #1's on record. As it stands it will be the Crown Jewel of my Spectacular Spider-Man run, if all goes well. I will be sure to update the Photo's upon it's return from the great CGC! 

Thank you again! 

Sincerely, 

Brian W

(slpfi27)

i really think your best option would be to sell me the book. lol

there is no way i would crack that out and resub for another sig. i understand what everyone is saying but to me the Esposito sig is what completes this book. 

On 5/5/2019 at 3:20 AM, slpfi27 said:

Thank you for the feedback my friends, I submitted this copy to be re-slabbed since it had the older case, and it was a little on the "iffy" side so upon it's return, I believe I will get it signed by Gerry Conway as well. I'll take the chance on the 9.8 to 9.6 Downgrade. Either way it will be on of the rarest Spectacular Spider-Man #1's on record. As it stands it will be the Crown Jewel of my Spectacular Spider-Man run, if all goes well. I will be sure to update the Photo's upon it's return from the great CGC! 

Thank you again! 

Sincerely, 

Brian W

(slpfi27)

Yes please post pics when it is regraded and the sigs are complete! This series started me into collecting vintage comics when I was 10 or so back in the late 90's, early 2000s. Love that series. 

~UPDATE~ 

Well my friends, after some serious thought, and consideration from you great folks, I have decided to shoot for the Moon! I will be submitting the "White Whale" for a final Signature from Gerry Conway. I am still very worried about losing the 9.8 Grade but if I am successful it will have all 5 Signatures from the great makers of the book. (Too Bad I can't get Dave Hunt. RIP Dave). I just got the book back from CGC and here is an updated Photo of it in the new Slab. It looks wonderful so I thought I would share it with you! Also please look at my other Post I did regarding the Cert Hunt for the SS Copies of #1 out there. I could use your help my friends.

Thank you! 

Sincerely,

Brian W.

<slpfi27>

Front.JPG

On 6/18/2019 at 1:54 AM, slpfi27 said:

~UPDATE~ 

Well my friends, after some serious thought, and consideration from you great folks, I have decided to shoot for the Moon! I will be submitting the "White Whale" for a final Signature from Gerry Conway. I am still very worried about losing the 9.8 Grade but if I am successful it will have all 5 Signatures from the great makers of the book. (Too Bad I can't get Dave Hunt. RIP Dave). I just got the book back from CGC and here is an updated Photo of it in the new Slab. It looks wonderful so I thought I would share it with you! Also please look at my other Post I did regarding the Cert Hunt for the SS Copies of #1 out there. I could use your help my friends.

Thank you! 

Sincerely,

Brian W.

Good luck sir!  And great name with the proper spelling. :headbang:

Bravo on such a unique and beautiful item! 

My apologies if this is an incredibly stupid question, but what do you mean by submitting for a signature from Conway? Does that mean you’ll crack open the case again, get a sig at a con, and then resubmit to CGC for a new grade and slab? 

3 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

Bravo on such a unique and beautiful item! 

My apologies if this is an incredibly stupid question, but what do you mean by submitting for a signature from Conway? Does that mean you’ll crack open the case again, get a sig at a con, and then resubmit to CGC for a new grade and slab? 

Yes, he will either submit it to a facilitator that will open the case and have Conway sign it and then submit it to CGC (without any lapse in chain of custody).  Or he himself will go to a con with Conway attending, get a witness, have the case cracked in front of the witness, have it signed, and the witness will seal it in one of the new witness bags and then submit it to CGC (without and lapse in chain of custody).  This will allow him to keep the Signature Series label and have it re-slabbed and graded hopefully keeping the 9.8 grade.

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Yes, he will either submit it to a facilitator that will open the case and have Conway sign it and then submit it to CGC (without any lapse in chain of custody).  Or he himself will go to a con with Conway attending, get a witness, have the case cracked in front of the witness, have it signed, and the witness will seal it in one of the new witness bags and then submit it to CGC (without and lapse in chain of custody).  This will allow him to keep the Signature Series label and have it re-slabbed and graded hopefully keeping the 9.8 grade.

Ah, got it. Thanks so much the explanation. What a treat it must be for the signers to see such a well-cared for book with so many impressive sigs.