• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you have a new comic reading ritual?

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

I had a ritual, back when I was reading comics as a kid. I would hop on the subway and go to Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square (a couple miles from Boston) to buy the latest new X-Men (this was peak Cockrum-Byrne era). I would buy a soda and some snacks, which was a huge treat for me since my parents didn't really keep stuff like that in the house. I'd take my books and sit under my favorite shady tree in Harvard Yard and savor every panel. I miss that feeling but cannot recreate it.

What a wonderful memory!  I grew up in the woods and there was a gravel pile up some road in the woods someone had built and abandoned in the 30s or 40s leading to nowhere.  I would take copies of The Twilight Zone comic (Gold Key?) and Ripley's Believe It or Not comic (WEIRD! ERRIE! AUTHENTIC!)  and read atop the gravel pile. 

When I got back into collecting in 2011, I would arrange my new comics in order of the least intriguing to the one I wanted to read most, and would read them and file them away within a day or two. In about 2013, I started using 2 different database for my collection, so I always entered them before I read them. I was still very good about reading them several days before Weds rolled around again, until 1 week, I didn't. Since the sun came up the next day, I realized I was putting too much pressure on myself to read all my new books immediately. I started using a short box to keep my unread new books in, with the intention of reading them before the newest batch of books. Out of nowhere, it started getting difficult for me to concentrate enough to sit down and read a stack of comics without my mind wandering, and when I would finally be able to do that, I would start nodding off. I'm still dealing with this. For the most part, the short box I set aside for new books kept filling up, so I would file all of them away except for a select group that I wanted to read most. The process repeated so many times that I eventually filed all of them away, and each week only added the ones that appealed the most to me to my reading box. That's what I do now, after entering all the new comics into the 2 databases. About every 6 months, I have to empty the box and start from scratch again. Occasionally, I'm able to read 5-10 comics from my stack in one sitting, but I doubt I'll ever be able to spend hours getting swept away in the stories. I still love them and I love the hobby, and I still buy them like crazy, but I've had to learn to enjoy them differently since this began.

17 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

When I got back into collecting in 2011, I would arrange my new comics in order of the least intriguing to the one I wanted to read most, and would read them and file them away within a day or two. In about 2013, I started using 2 different database for my collection, so I always entered them before I read them. I was still very good about reading them several days before Weds rolled around again, until 1 week, I didn't. Since the sun came up the next day, I realized I was putting too much pressure on myself to read all my new books immediately. I started using a short box to keep my unread new books in, with the intention of reading them before the newest batch of books. Out of nowhere, it started getting difficult for me to concentrate enough to sit down and read a stack of comics without my mind wandering, and when I would finally be able to do that, I would start nodding off. I'm still dealing with this. For the most part, the short box I set aside for new books kept filling up, so I would file all of them away except for a select group that I wanted to read most. The process repeated so many times that I eventually filed all of them away, and each week only added the ones that appealed the most to me to my reading box. That's what I do now, after entering all the new comics into the 2 databases. About every 6 months, I have to empty the box and start from scratch again. Occasionally, I'm able to read 5-10 comics from my stack in one sitting, but I doubt I'll ever be able to spend hours getting swept away in the stories. I still love them and I love the hobby, and I still buy them like crazy, but I've had to learn to enjoy them differently since this began.

Jeez, you must buy a lot of new comics each month!

I'm behind and haven't read a new comic in a while. But I don't think I had a real ritual. I would get comics at sporadic times when I was a kid and read them while walking, at the newsstand, at school, in the car, and probably other places I can't remember. When I realized that comics came out on Wednesdays, I would get them on Wednesday and get the chicken sandwich and oatmeal scotchy cookie at Boston Market. But then I stopped going to comic shops and ordered only online. I think when I get my comic room together, I'll get a ritual together. I know there are many titles that I've never read and will go back and read them.