• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a Large DC Copper Age Collection
2 2

206 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Bird said:

I agree with RMA But this part of the deal you have to make him carry half of them to your car

Car? It'll be the death of the car. lol Rent a delivery van and two day laborers. Also, clear it with your wife (only you know how to do that) or you'll get divorce papers before the end of the month.

3 minutes ago, divad said:

Car? It'll be the death of the car. lol Rent a delivery van and two day laborers. Also, clear it with your wife (only you know how to do that) or you'll get divorce papers before the end of the month.

Discussion with the wife last night.

Me: "What would you think about me bringing 60 long boxes of comics home?"

Wife: "DON'T"

Edited by Dormian

1 minute ago, Dormian said:

Me: "What would you think about me bringing 60 long boxes of comics home"

I don't think that qualifies as a "discussion" . . . :insane:

It will test the limits of her love for you. If you have babies - you're in. Otherwise that will cost you at least one. College costs add up lol

Edited by divad

27 minutes ago, Dormian said:

Me: "What would you think about me bringing 60 long boxes of comics home?"

See, first mistake was that you started with a hypothetical. Always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

If you are close to NJ I'll split them with you!

Just now, Dormian said:

I am in N. Florida

We have a climate controlled storage unit that has some space.

I have a lot of space as well, it helps when you buy a large collection. If you take them all I urge you to not do what I did...I sold some keys right away to recoup some quick cash. Sell the dregs and weirdly hot books first and try to keep the keys.

No brainer if they were Marvel books but DC I'd pass.  Just way too many books that would have to be blown out at $20 a long box to make it worth your while.  Sadly the bags and boards cost about $0.10 a piece so the books are basically worthless.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I have a lot of space as well, it helps when you buy a large collection. If you take them all I urge you to not do what I did...I sold some keys right away to recoup some quick cash. Sell the dregs and weirdly hot books first and try to keep the keys.

Good tip!

I have been looking at some of the smaller sets and what they sell for on eBay.  Might be a good way to move a few long boxes.

He said 10 cents for the complete runs and cheaper if he takes them all!

It really is a matter of choice between taking them all or just 15-20 longs. You can cut the price on the good stuff a little by taking it all but time and space become factors. But if you enjoy it, why not? I could sell my drek to a dealer here for 10 cents/book all day long. We talked when I was bidding on 10-12000 books and he said he would take as many as I would sell him and I imagine you could find similar situations down there in Flo-rida. If it is 8 cents a book for everything, just take 15-20 longs but 6 cents a book for everything take them all! Maybe take them all anyway!

I bought 9500 books and am almost through selling them. I wish I could reload with a deal like this.

As a point of reference- I looked up Detective on MCS and they are buying a number of Detectives in the 550-600 range. Using their 8.0 grades, you could sell 18 books for $100.

That covers your purchase cost for 1,000 more books. If the books are organised, you should be able to pull hundreds of non key books MCS will buy in an afternoon.  I wouldn't be surprised if you recoup half your money just moving obscure stuff.

It says the owner started collecting in the mid 80s. Most collectors back then cared more for back issues than new ones so I imagine this collection will have older books, as well. 

I'm not jealous and I can certainly understand why many people would pass on it.  For many people, they will buy these and sit on them a few years and maybe they get their money back.

Others will look at this as a.part time job and make some money. It's not a home run, but it could be a solid double. Just be aware it will be work. A lot of work. Selling a collection like this needed apace, as well.

2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

The hoarder in me says go for it but the pragmatist says all those boxes are too darn heavy. 

Short boxes. Easier to move and two short boxes fit in the same table.space as one long one, with about 20% more books.

Get yourself a movers dolly. Used ones go for under $20.

1 hour ago, divad said:

Btw, "Location: On the shore" you must live on the east coast, as no one on the left calls it a "shore." :hi:

New Yorkers go to the beach. Jerseyites go to the Shore.