• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a Large DC Copper Age Collection
2 2

206 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Dormian said:

Here are a few of the books that might get sent in for grading.

Batman Harley Quinn 9.6

Detective Comics 850 9.8

Detective Comics 880 9.8

DC Comics Presents 26 9.4

Wonder Woman 184 9.8

Catwoman 51 9.6

Catwoman 74 9.8

All of the Hughes' Catwomans and Wonder Womans from 9.4 - 9.8 (only grade the 9.8 which is about 1/3)

rantrantSo. Just to be clear. You spent $275 today. You could have spent $750 to take all of them.

The books you listed above sell for conservatively in the grades you listed for

Batman Harley Quinn: $200
Detective 850: $125
Detective 880: $500
DC Comics Presents 26: $200
Wonder Woman 184: $200
Catwoman 51: $200
Catwoman 74: $100

How long did it take you to pull those books? You will clear $1000 on just those books above. :pullhair:

GO BACK TOMORROW AND BUY THEM ALL. I cannot believe anyone is discussing this. If you don't want to lug around the books THROW THEM OUT.

2 hours ago, Dormian said:

The advice I have received from this thread has been invaluable. I am mostly a bronze and earlier collector and the thought of 15,000 copper/moderns was intimidating.  I might end up with all of it or someone could buy it out from under me. I am pretty happy with what I bought today.

Where are these books? If they're close to Savannah, I'll be there May 31.

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

rantrantSo. Just to be clear. You spent $275 today. You could have spent $750 to take all of them.

The books you listed above sell for conservatively in the grades you listed for

Batman Harley Quinn: $200
Detective 850: $125
Detective 880: $500
DC Comics Presents 26: $200
Wonder Woman 184: $200
Catwoman 51: $200
Catwoman 74: $100

How long did it take you to pull those books? You will clear $1000 on just those books above. :pullhair:

GO BACK TOMORROW AND BUY THEM ALL. I cannot believe anyone is discussing this. If you don't want to lug around the books THROW THEM OUT.

Where are these books? If they're close to Savannah, I'll be there May 31.

Back! BACK!! BACK, I SAY!!!

:jaws:

I already offered poster a 10 buck per longbox profit for it all and would be there today. And i like driving from boca to jacksonville as much as root canal.  I didnt get the pm saying i win this windfall. This was a 1 in a 1000 deal and the seller gave you a friends and family offer where you could cherry pick best runs for a dime a book so next buyer can clearly explain to seller some numbers. Btw every week you can see on neatsuff auctions on ebay, collections like this sell to eager buyers. This 60 long would have fit as just another listing where it ends with a 5k price. I dont know how neatstuff gets buyers who buy lots where so much of profit squeezed out, but thats not case here.

I have two weeks to digest the 11 boxes I picked up. We talked about reconvening in two weeks to look at the rest.

A big decision in not taking it all was space. I do not have room in my house for the entire collection. I went by our storage unit and it is full. Two weeks give me time move things around.

What does a 5x10 or 10x10 storage unit run? Around here, it's about $40 a month. Rent one for two months.  If nothing serious, abandon all your unwanted books in it after you've picked the collection free. Or simply give the books away. Put an ad on Craig's List for 20boxes of free comics and someone will take them, if you can't figure out how to get $15 a box.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

What does a 5x10 or 10x10 storage unit run? Around here, it's about $40 a month. Rent one for two months.  If nothing serious, abandon all your unwanted books in it after you've picked the collection free. Or simply give the books away. Put an ad on Craig's List for 20boxes of free comics and someone will take them, if you can't figure out how to get $15 a box.

Exactly.

30 longboxes don't take up that much footprint either. Again, I'll take these books right now. The amount of money you're leaving on the table is staggering.

You also need space to work, and sort.

I'm looking at six long boxes right now.  Short term, you can stack them six high and ten wide, so a 5x10 would work better.

Many storage units give a month free or are half price for a month or two.

Storage in Vegas...where it gets to 4,834°F in August...is substantially cheaper, unless you have A/C indoor units.

5x10s in the greater Los Angeles area are about $150 a month. And that's for non-A/C. 

5 hours ago, Dormian said:

I have two weeks to digest the 11 boxes I picked up. We talked about reconvening in two weeks to look at the rest.

A big decision in not taking it all was space. I do not have room in my house for the entire collection. I went by our storage unit and it is full. Two weeks give me time move things around.

Again. You're leaving a staggering amount of money on the table. Hell - go buy them TODAY and I'll pay for you to ship them to my house AND give you a 10% finders fee on the remaining 19 boxes.

15 hours ago, Dormian said:

The advice I have received from this thread has been invaluable. I am mostly a bronze and earlier collector and the thought of 15,000 copper/moderns was intimidating.  I might end up with all of it or someone could buy it out from under me. I am pretty happy with what I bought today.

Good for you! If you ask me, happiness is what it's all about...   :foryou:

20 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Again. You're leaving a staggering amount of money on the table. Hell - go buy them TODAY and I'll pay for you to ship them to my house AND give you a 10% finders fee on the remaining 19 boxes.

I don't think most people in the know thought this was a bad deal. It isn't. The challenge would be the SIZE of the collection. Sixty long boxes is a lot of work, especially if this is more of a part-part-part-time hobby. 

My suggestion for him would be to get them all, pull out the great stuff (maybe a box worth), the pretty good stuff (maybe 4 boxes worth), and the decent stuff (5 boxes worth). The rest I'd put up for sale on Craigslist, selling 5 boxes at a time for $150. Flea market sellers (at least up here) eat that stuff up, because they know they can get $1 per comic for these things all day long.

I agree with the side of its a good price and a good deal for the person that has the space and the time. It is certainly a lot of work and I buy collections all the time. I value my time at zero and do not look at it as money lost as I play with my books.  I currently have(purchased) a 45 long box collection(90's-2005) that is bagged(not boarded) and not collated. 50% marvel, 25% dc , 25% other. It had all the good stuff and I paid about $75 a long because I knew the condition and it was not picked. Three years later the boxes are still sitting. Should I rebag and board? just add boards(has anyone done that?). 

I guess my view is , go get the books and figure out whats best for you. You cant lose at that price if you enjoy the hobby.

I know there's a lot of poo-pooing of the bulk of this collection, but my personal experience is that pretty much every big character book will sell in large lots, and there's money to be made at 10 cents a book. Even stuff that I would have thought was completely worthless, like big chunks of the 90's/2000's Superman titles, sell well in large runs. I've bought a few collections of stuff like this locally, usually the 10 to 30 long box range, at 10 cents or less per book, and have always made money. Of course, you have to be willing to put the work in. If they're bagged/boarded/sorted, the lion's share of the work is done for you. My maximum comfort range is right around 6 to 7 cents per book, but for mainstream superhero books in nice shape, I'm not arguing at 10 cents per. Then again, I enjoy working collections like that. It's my hobby.

On 5/4/2019 at 2:14 PM, Bird said:

I put zero value on my time selling comics. I spent a half hour packing comics this morning I would’ve just been watching TV it’s a hobby

Call me crazy, but . . . I actually do it because I love it! :insane:

On 5/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Too many people in comics don't consider their labor as worth anything, but they should. Every minute you spend working on books like this is a minute you don't have to spend on other, perhaps more lucrative ventures.

Life is not about money. "Lucrative ventures" are not the end all. Take some time off, get married, have kids, get in touch with yourself - experience life itself. :facepalm: