• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a Large DC Copper Age Collection
2 2

206 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2019 at 5:45 AM, Dormian said:

I have two weeks to digest the 11 boxes I picked up. We talked about reconvening in two weeks to look at the rest.

A big decision in not taking it all was space. I do not have room in my house for the entire collection. I went by our storage unit and it is full. Two weeks give me time move things around.

The examples show that the books are mostly HG - like the donut has said the amount of money you are leaving on the table is staggering. Don't listen to the naysayers (except October). :bigsmile:

5 hours ago, divad said:
On 5/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Too many people in comics don't consider their labor as worth anything, but they should. Every minute you spend working on books like this is a minute you don't have to spend on other, perhaps more lucrative ventures.

Life is not about money. "Lucrative ventures" are not the end all. Take some time off, get married, have kids, get in touch with yourself - experience life itself. :facepalm:

Nobody even remotely said what you're suggesting. Your comment and my comment have absolutely nothing to do with one another. I'm not even sure why you quoted me.  :facepalm:

Most collections are a "good deal" if you value your time at $0, and you buy the collection for a low enough price. Too many people...including those "in the know"...don't know how to properly value their time when it comes to stuff like this. As I've said before, 60 longs is not an insignificant amount of books, and a "good deal" can easily become a bad one for anyone, depending on circumstances.

Again: low enough price = good deal

Time value at or near $0 = good deal

Enjoy going through comics = good deal

Experienced seller, with the means to deal with this size collection = probably a good deal

Too high a price = not a good deal

Not enough space = not a good deal (EVEN IF BOOKS ARE FREE)

Not enough time = not a good deal (EVEN IF BOOKS ARE FREE)

*I* would not hesitate to buy all 60 longs for 10 cents (or less) a book. I have the space and desire to own them. But the OP already said he went through 5 longs that he wouldn't take at any price. That tells me that his needs and desires aren't the same as the "BUY, BUY, BUY YOU FOOL!!!" crowd. 

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Most collections are a "good deal" if you value your time at $0, and you buy the collection for a low enough price. Too many people...including those "in the know"...don't know how to properly value their time when it comes to stuff like this. As I've said before, 60 longs is not an insignificant amount of books, and a "good deal" can easily become a bad one for anyone, depending on circumstances.

Again: low enough price = good deal

Time value at or near $0 = good deal

Enjoy going through comics = good deal

Experienced seller, with the means to deal with this size collection = probably a good deal

Too high a price = not a good deal

Not enough space = not a good deal (EVEN IF BOOKS ARE FREE)

Not enough time = not a good deal (EVEN IF BOOKS ARE FREE)

*I* would not hesitate to buy all 60 longs for 10 cents (or less) a book. I have the space and desire to own them. But the OP already said he went through 5 longs that he wouldn't take at any price. That tells me that his needs and desires aren't the same as the "BUY, BUY, BUY YOU FOOL!!!" crowd. 

In a 60 long box run there are bound to be several long boxes of stock that are going to be absolute Drek. But from the sounds of things this collection was not cherrypicked. Bagged boarded books from a personal collection, that are being purchased buy a seller who has the ability to set up at local shows in his area. The OP goes with a friend who knows comics as well and states that the OP has probably understated was purchased and a buyer comes out with a  measly 20% of what was available is nothing short of foolish. 

To consider cherry picking or going thru  a collection once you saw the money books that were purchasing is insulting to the person trying to sell this lot and if time constraint was the issue once you took a glance at what you were buying you could have loaded up the truck with the long boxes after paying for them and been on your way.

i guess I fall into the buy buy buy you fool crowd but I have never felt like organizing a comic collection to be work but something I really enjoy just my 2 cents

I am still debating picking up everything. I spent several hours making room in my office and will move things around in our storage unit this week. Right now I could probably take on another 15-20 boxes. Anything more and I will have to start stacking them in the living room. I will be dropping off payment for the first 11 boxes tomorrow and I will see when the seller can meet again.

Here is an example of a box I do not have any interest in.  The complete 10 issue set of Bloodhounds sold on eBay for $2.25 and the 8 issue set of Zodiac sold for $4.98.

Box 41:
Arak, Son of Thunder
Plastic Man: 89 mini series
New series (05-06)
Breach
Bloodhound
Monolith
Zodiac

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That said, Dormian, once you're done taking what you want, you might want to invite the seller here to offer what's left. There are clearly people who would be interested in buying the rest of it.

I will definitely pass along anyone's name that is interested once I decide how much of the collection I am taking.

14 minutes ago, Dormian said:

Here is an example of a box I do not have any interest in.  The complete 10 issue set of Bloodhounds sold on eBay for $2.25 and the 8 issue set of Zodiac sold for $4.98.

Box 41:
Arak, Son of Thunder
Plastic Man: 89 mini series
New series (05-06)
Breach
Bloodhound
Monolith
Zodiac

The opportunity (both before and after) was significantly diminished once you started to cherry pick the collection. You may not think it was cherry picking, but it was, You chose what you thought were the best 11 of 60 long boxes. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nobody even remotely said what you're suggesting. Your comment and my comment have absolutely nothing to do with one another. I'm not even sure why you quoted me.  :facepalm:

Usually, you say it's the other way around. I think we're from different planetoids. And you know what? I don't care to visit yours lol

Ever. :sumo:

Edited by divad

2 minutes ago, divad said:

The opportunity (both before and after) was significantly diminished once you started to cherry pick the collection. You may not think it was cherry picking, but it was, You chose what you thought were the best 11 of 60 long boxes. 

It was cherry picking. We targeted what I was interested in either for reselling or reading. I picked up a lot of elseworlds and vertigo titles for reading.

There is definitely good stuff left. We didn't get a chance to look at everything I was interested in and I see myself picking up at least 3 or 4 more boxes.

50 minutes ago, divad said:

Usually, you say it's the other way around. I think we're from different planetoids. And you know what? I don't care to visit yours lol

Ever. :sumo:

Why you feel the need to make comments like these, when no one is bothering you, no one but you will ever know in this lifetime. Try and exercise some self-control.

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Why you feel the need to make comments like these, when no one is bothering you, no one but you will ever know in this lifetime. Try and exercise some self-control.

We know. Believe me, we know.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Why you have to pontificate on every thread and crave constant approval is beyond me . . .  no one but you will ever know in this lifetime. Try and exercise some self-control.

11 hours ago, divad said:

I am torn between atta boy and you should be ashamed of yourself. On one hand the seller set the terms before the Dormian and his associate even looked at the books. Dormian and his partner merely followed the rules that were set up buy the seller. More than likely 99% of us would have jumped at the opportunity  to do the same thing. As long as he was buying runs and not individual books from runs he followed the rules set up by the seller. In this case congratulations you got a windfall.

is it up to the buyer to educate the seller how much he is leaving on the table in my opinion no again but to make plans on doing this again is probably what I have an issue with the most. 

This is a co-worker of yours and more than likely someone you’ve known for a while for crying out loud. This boarders on taking advantage of this “friend” 

again I would have taken them all and deal with the junk myself and not leave the seller to clean up the mess.

i’d at Least waited till I was done with the deal to  make this a topic of discussion but it keeps my interest for sure

7 hours ago, shadroch said:
12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

We know. Believe me, we know.

Who is "we"? Do you have more than one personality rattling around in your head that people should be aware of....? I imagine that would be a cool party trick.

:popcorn:

2 hours ago, divad said:
12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Why you have to pontificate on every thread and crave constant approval is beyond me . . .  no one but you will ever know in this lifetime. Try and exercise some self-control.

I agree with you completely: it's patently manifest, and has been for a very long time, that there are many, many things which are quite beyond you.

Like, you know...how to make original comments, rather than just parroting what others have said to you, or, say, the ability to recognize humor and inaccurately interpreting it as "the craving for constant approval." 

Look, we found common ground! 

You done now? Get the unnecessary snark out of your system yet...?

Not that anyone asked me, but a coworker, someone you want to be on friendly terms with for years, you treat aa more than just a cut throat deal. I would have taken it all and not leave the really less desirable bulk behind. Sort of like hide the body, you got away with a steal you dont want to rub their noses in the left behind as that will be not a great thing to live with a coworker for years. Again, who am i but one of the cheap seat guys throwing popcorn.

18 hours ago, Dormian said:
19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That said, Dormian, once you're done taking what you want, you might want to invite the seller here to offer what's left. There are clearly people who would be interested in buying the rest of it.

I will definitely pass along anyone's name that is interested once I decide how much of the collection I am taking.

DO NOT DO THIS!  One quick peek at this thread and the seller (your co-worker) may start regretting his decision.  It may alter his perception of what kind of money he thinks he is leaving on the table, which will then alter the relationship you have with him moving forward.  This has potential to create a lot of animosity between the two of you.

By inviting him here, even by passing along names, you're just asking for trouble.

If you value your relationship with this co-worker, it's probably best if you do everything you can to ensure he doesn't come across this thread.

Really building on what logan said, best be on safe side. Kill the coworker, bury the books, and burn the shared place of employment. Maybe even move to canada though i guess that last bit would be extreme.