• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a Large DC Copper Age Collection
2 2

206 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, gcstomp said:

Not that anyone asked me, but a coworker, someone you want to be on friendly terms with for years, you treat aa more than just a cut throat deal. I would have taken it all and not leave the really less desirable bulk behind. Sort of like hide the body, you got away with a steal you dont want to rub their noses in the left behind as that will be not a great thing to live with a coworker for years. Again, who am i but one of the cheap seat guys throwing popcorn.

:popcorn:exactly. At least clean his garage out for him. lol

1 hour ago, divad said:
8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Blah, blah, blah, blah . . . Blah!

If I live for a million years, I'll never understand the need some people have to flip their online middle fingers in the faces of those they don't like.

Need for attention, I suppose.

If you don't like someone, the answer's the same as it's always been: ignore them. 

52 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you don't like someone, the answer's the same as it's always been: ignore them. 

So ignore me. Blah, blah blah 

53 minutes ago, divad said:

So ignore me. Blah, blah blah 

That's not how it works. I DO ignore you, but that doesn't give you license to take unprovoked shots at me.

That little bit of logic has always escaped the contentious posters around here.

21 hours ago, gcstomp said:

Really building on what logan said, best be on safe side. Kill the coworker, bury the books, and burn the shared place of employment. Maybe even move to canada though i guess that last bit would be extreme.

See I was with you until the bolded part. That's just cruel.

I dropped off the money to the seller this afternoon. I told him he had some valuable books in what I bought from him. He seemed excited for me and wanted to know when I wanted to look at the rest of the collection.  I guess sometimes you are just ready to walk away.

In the 11 boxes I picked up I am about half way through them. I have pulled a short box of good books. About half the Hughes covers will probably grade in the 9.2-9.4 range with about 20% in the 9.6-9.8.

I made my way through the Flash books and pulled these to the side.
1, 80, 84, 92, 108, 138, 141,197, 198, 199, 207, 208, 209, 210

I will probably go and look at the rest in two weeks. There is still Action, Superman, Green Lantern  and and few of the other mainstream titles I haven't looked at yet. If I can move things around and secure the space I will probably just buy them all.

I have a retired friend who lives in Alabama. He offered to let me store them there and he will list the books on ebay for 50%.

5 minutes ago, Dormian said:

I dropped off the money to the seller this afternoon. I told him he had some valuable books in what I bought from him. He seemed excited for me and wanted to know when I wanted to look at the rest of the collection.  I guess sometimes you are just ready to walk away.

In the 11 boxes I picked up I am about half way through them. I have pulled a short box of good books. About half the Hughes covers will probably grade in the 9.2-9.4 range with about 20% in the 9.6-9.8.

I made my way through the Flash books and pulled these to the side.
1, 80, 84, 92, 108, 138, 141,197, 198, 199, 207, 208, 209, 210

I will probably go and look at the rest in two weeks. There is still Action, Superman, Green Lantern  and and few of the other mainstream titles I haven't looked at yet. If I can move things around and secure the space I will probably just buy them all.

I have a retired friend who lives in Alabama. He offered to let me store them there and he will list the books on ebay for 50%.

Hey, Dormian is a good friend of mine so I'm close to this issue.  I just wanted to say in his defense he wasn't even sure he was going to go through with a purchase.  And I'd like to point out that when he talked about making this purchase, there was a large minority here who advised him against it.  Of course I'm going to say he's a stand-up guy because he's my friend, but...(he's a stand-up guy).  He's never intentionally screwed over anyone in the 30? years I've known him.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

See I was with you until the bolded part. That's just cruel.

:(

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

Dormian is a good friend of mine

Mine too and I haven't met him.  Pretty much unfairly maligned in this thread imho.  Surely the OO was not so unsophisticated that the reasons behind his deal should be second guessed by us rubberneckers.  For the sake of people using the threads without fear of being branded with a scarlet letter lighten up and give him a break.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Pretty much unfairly maligned in this thread imho.

Agreed. Comments often reveal character. There's no reason to hide your dealings if you're honest and fair. If I make you an offer for your items, and you're willing to sell at that price, no one has been cheated, no one has been "taken advantage of", and no one needs to hide any aspect of it. So long as you don't engage in deception or subterfuge, a deal struck between willing parties is all that matters. Just like time has value, so does knowledge and experience.

5 hours ago, ThothAmon said:
7 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Dormian is a good friend of mine

Mine too and I haven't met him.  Pretty much unfairly maligned in this thread imho.

I don't think Dormian was maligned at all in the thread. He asked for people's opinions and received them. That's kinda how it works on the internet. 

13 minutes ago, divad said:

That's kinda how it works on the internet.

You mean blah, blah, blah blah, blah, blah, blah?  :roflmao:Seriously though, I think the OP was asking for our opinions on whether or not he should buy the collection, not whether or not he was an unscrupulous con man if he did so.  

On 5/3/2019 at 12:12 PM, FlyingDonut said:

This is an absolute 100% no brainer. Your friend is offering you free money.

If you pass on it, send him my way and I will buy these books in two seconds. At $25 per long, you're looking at $2100. You can double that back in an afternoon going through MCS' buying service. There are hidden keys in there that you can very quickly move on eBay for some nice money.

I mentioned this thread to a dealer today. This dealer barely has the room for 60 additional boxes in his basement, but he said he would have paid $900 for the Batman and Detective Comics runs alone. Mind you this dealer seems obsessed with Detective Comics #880 ever since he found a copy for $1.25 at a convention in November. That may be clouding his judgment.

plant, yeah, no. that dealer isnt with the clouded judgement.  this was a 1 in 1000 easy peazy these deals dont come gift wrapped like this type deal. or as donutdude said, free money.  if you were really lazy, you could just skim in an hour the keys that pop out to you, plus whatever no brainer AH covers and fill a keeper box. then place a freecycle ad to give away rest within a few minutes.

And I am not saying poster is lazy.  And no one is maligning anyone.  Just that it would be silly to invite the seller here as someone mentioned, it would make for awkward workplace chat. You dont go to a show, dig in someones dollar boxes, then spend the next few years telling war stories about how you found the Albedo 2 and Goon 1 Avatar press in there, and they came back highest graded.  You hear that, Jeff, you dont do that! Err, sorry, go on.  See you tomorrow Jeff, breakroom is supposed to have the better coffee now.

Edited by gcstomp

32 minutes ago, gcstomp said:

And I am not saying poster is lazy.  And no one is maligning anyone.  Just that it would be silly to invite the seller here as someone mentioned, it would make for awkward workplace chat. You dont go to a show, dig in someones dollar boxes, then spend the next few years telling war stories about how you found the Albedo 2 and Goon 1 Avatar press in there, and they came back highest graded.  You hear that, Jeff, you dont do that! Err, sorry, go on.  See you tomorrow Jeff, breakroom is supposed to have the better coffee now.

I am sort of lazy :|

If I don't buy the rest of the books I will solicit names here on the off chance someone will buy the rest of his books. I will pass along the interested buyer's names to the seller.