• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #7, #10, #13 Club
2 2

93 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thejudge01 said:

Never owned a complete 13, sold the #7 to Gator but still have the #10 which I’d personally prefer over 13 . Earlier issue, 3rd ever superman cover , scarcer and great Superman #1 panel

16DAD175-CD8C-4577-A23F-4A7B7C78588A.jpeg

Gorgeous books.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, Primetime said:

agreed. Although the 10 is the toughest of the three without question. 

On 5/2/2019 at 6:15 PM, G.A.tor said:

13 is by far the easiest. 

Interesting to see how opinions of the board members here change over time as more copies of these books come into the marketplace.

I remember when the Atlantic City copy was auctioned off by CC about 8 years ago for something like $185K at the time.  Many of the boardies said at the time that this was the rarest of all of the early Action books as very few had ever come to market by that time.  hm

On 5/4/2019 at 4:37 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

I don’t know if you follow the show Gotham, but it’s similar to how future characters evolved out of Jerome Valeska.

Jerome was not the final product. He was a different character, but one that paved the way for what was coming.

Speaking of Hugo Strange, I absolutely love the way he has been portrayed on the Gotham TV show.  (thumbsu

Definitely a much bigger character on the TV show, as opposed to the comic books. 

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Interesting to see how opinions of the board members here change over time as more copies of these books come into the marketplace.

I remember when the Atlantic City copy was auctioned off by CC about 8 years ago for something like $185K at the time.  Many of the boardies said at the time that this was the rarest of all of the early Action books as very few had ever come to market by that time.  hm

I think perception is impacted by supply and of late, Action #10 has been offered the least offered book of the three. As far as slabbed copies go, the numbers are pretty similar: with all three being very, very tough to find in any condition, especially blue label.

CGC Universal

18 = Action #10

24 = Action #13

29 = Action #7

CGC Total

37 = Action #10

43 = Action #13

46 = Action #7

Action #10 has the most iconic interior splash page and the least iconic front cover, so it stands to reason that there is more incentive to keep #10 raw and to slab #7 and #13. I don't know if that would be enough to make the census numbers equal across the board, but they're already close. It's remarkable to think that in almost 2 decades of slabbing, this is all we've seen of these 3 iconic issues.

6 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

For me Action 23 is the second most important Action, but I accept I am in the minority with that opinion :)

Amazing books everyone!

That's not an unreasonable take IMO.

It being a 1940 book with much greater supply puts it on a different level than some of the other Early Actions, but the 1st app. of Luthor cannot be denied. Even considering the boost in popularity recently, it's still one of the most underrated books of the GA.

Speaking of Hugo Strange, I absolutely love the way he has been portrayed on the Gotham TV show.  (thumbsu

Definitely a much bigger character on the TV show, as opposed to the comic books. 

I've watched nearly every episode of the series and overall, I don't think it's very good.

I put it in the "so bad it's good" category and being a huge Batman fan, I can't look away. But the series has had its moments.

Huge Strange in Arkham City is one of the best versions of the character that I have ever seen.

6 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

That's not an unreasonable take IMO.

It being a 1940 book with much greater supply puts it on a different level than some of the other Early Actions, but the 1st app. of Luthor cannot be denied. Even considering the boost in popularity recently, it's still one of the most underrated books of the GA.

Any stats to back up 1940 books overall being in greater supply than books from 1938,1939.  I agree I just don’t have any hard numbers. I guess print runs wud have been up because of the hero craze solidified ??

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Any stats to back up 1940 books overall being in greater supply than books from 1938,1939.  I agree I just don’t have any hard numbers. I guess print runs wud have been up because of the hero craze solidified ??

There are other on the boards more qualified to comment on print-runs, but using census numbers to give us a rough idea...

CGC Universal

18 = Action #10

24 = Action #13

29 = Action #7

80 = Action #23

4 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I think perception is impacted by supply and of late, Action #10 has been offered the least offered book of the three. As far as slabbed copies go, the numbers are pretty similar: with all three being very, very tough to find in any condition, especially blue label.

CGC Universal

18 = Action #10

24 = Action #13

29 = Action #7

I believe at the time that the Atlantic City copy came out in 2011, it's quite possible that Action 13 might have had the lowest census numbers out of these 3 books. (shrug)

Especially when the CC lot description keeps on harping about how extremely rare the Action 13 is, as compared to their statement that they have "sold only eight copies of this historic comic" (i.e. Action 10).  hm

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Her are some books to look at. I don't want to go to bed yet.:whistle:

Well, how about this raw POS Poor graded copy from Heritage then:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) Condition: PR (No back cover)....

that still managed to fetched almost $15K in one of their Sunday Auctions a few years ago.  :whatthe: 

Looks like there have been a few copies of Action 13 sold during the past few years, which has undoubtedly upped the census count on them.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) Condition: PR (No back cover)....

that still managed to fetched almost $15K in one of their Sunday Auctions a few years ago.  :whatthe: 

Looks like there have been a few copies of Action 13 sold during the past few years, which has undoubtedly upped the census count on them.  (thumbsu

That’s my copy (page 1 of this thread), now slabbed.

I remember a board member purchasing an Action #10 raw on ebay for $200  It graded a 3.0 blue.   There was a discussion predicting final results, when it went to auction.  Many felt it would sell for less than an Action #13 would in the same grade.  It sold for nearly 20K which was way more than the current value of #13.

My order of preference has always been #7, #10 #13

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I remember bidding on that one thinking I’d be easily able to get it for under 10k due to the condition.  

I can’t help but think the limited supply of 7, 10, and 13 allows their value to be somewhat controlled, or monopolized similar to Tec 29, 31, and 33.

3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I remember a board member purchasing an Action #10 raw on ebay for $200  It graded a 3.0 blue.   There was a discussion predicting final results, when it went to auction.  Many felt it would sell for less than an Action #13 would in the same grade.  It sold for nearly 20K which was way more than the current value of #13.

My order of preference has always been #7, #10 #13

The hierarchy of Actions has shifted quite a bit through the decades. The very underrated Action #2 used to command greater appreciation than its later issue (Superman cover) peers. The story was a continuation of the Action #1 story (a good one), with an impressive non-Supes cover to boot.

The slab age has made classic covers more desirable than ever. It just so happens that content-wise, Action #10 and #13 have some of the best of the Early Action run.

#10 has one of the greatest splash pages of all-time as well as the 2nd (uncredited) app. of Jimmy Olsen.

#13 has the 1st app. of the 1st supervillain in DC history. So aside from the covers, there’s great interior content.

#7, which is easily the 2nd most valuable book of the run, is the odd one out content-wise. In today’s world, it doesn’t matter because it is the 2nd Superman cover ever and it’s a really good one.

Just a theory, but I believe a general unfamiliarity with the interior content of these books has led to wild swings in valuation/hierarchy. Supply and “cool covers” is, at this time, a stronger driving force. When/if “all” buyers of these books read all of the Early Action run, we may see some changes.