• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #7, #10, #13 Club
2 2

93 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

The hierarchy of Actions has shifted quite a bit through the decades. The very underrated Action #2 used to command greater appreciation than its later issue (Superman cover) peers. The story was a continuation of the Action #1 story (a good one), with an impressive non-Supes cover to boot.

The slab age has made classic covers more desirable than ever. It just so happens that content-wise, Action #10 and #13 have some of the best of the Early Action run.

#10 has one of the greatest splash pages of all-time as well as the 2nd (uncredited) app. of Jimmy Olsen.

#13 has the 1st app. of the 1st supervillain in DC history. So aside from the covers, there’s great interior content.

#7, which is easily the 2nd most valuable book of the run, is the odd one out content-wise. In today’s world, it doesn’t matter because it is the 2nd Superman cover ever and it’s a really good one.

Just a theory, but I believe a general unfamiliarity with the interior content of these books has led to wild swings in valuation/hierarchy. Supply and “cool covers” is, at this time, a stronger driving force. When/if “all” buyers of these books read all of the Early Action run, we may see some changes.

I have a coverless Action 2 with page quality that's technically low (though you can read it just fine) which keeps me from being tempted to sell it because people place such a low value on it compared to books with not even a fraction of its importance or coolness.

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

I have a coverless Action 2 with page quality that's technically low (though you can read it just fine) which keeps me from being tempted to sell it because people place such a low value on it compared to books with not even a fraction of its importance or coolness.

:takeit::whistle:

5 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

The hierarchy of Actions has shifted quite a bit through the decades. The very underrated Action #2 used to command greater appreciation than its later issue (Superman cover) peers.

Yes, similar to 'Tec 28 which used to be the 2nd most valuable Batman book out there back in the early days of Overstreet.  :whatthe:

Looks like value was simply much more based on whichever book came out earlier as there was not enough information at the time to break out all of the details which would come later.  (thumbsu

Wayne-Tec

You just had to make this thread, didn't you :pullhair:

I am trying to forget about them, but had all 3  and now gone :facepalm:

#7 and #10 ext. restored, #13 universal 4.0 hopefully found a good home

30 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Wayne-Tec

You just had to make this thread, didn't you :pullhair:

I am trying to forget about them, but had all 3  and now gone :facepalm:

#7 and #10 ext. restored, #13 universal 4.0 hopefully found a good home

Sorry bud. If memory serves, you still have a pretty nice Superman cover Early Action. Think it came before Action #7. hm

19 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Sorry bud. If memory serves, you still have a pretty nice Superman cover Early Action. Think it came before Action #7. hm

Yeah, I might still have that old thing hanging around somewhere .............. :$

I never did understand myself. I loved selling all my life Batman 1 Action 1 Tec 27-31-33-35 on up. I had Superman 1 Marvel 1 all the early Timleys all the Marvel like Fantasy 15 FF 1all of the 1.s.

I kept all the beat-up copies of the early books they were not worth selling and were beat. What I never understood was my draw to collect low grade beat books over high grade? 

I never had a collection that I wanted my collection was beat up books. I had this talk with Dave Anderson early 80s he wanted the best and I wanted the worse what's wrong with me.

I never did have Anderson money I did, however. Love comics all of them Timleys little less all of them had that same look to me Cap Torch Subby Toro all except MPFW #I never had that copy and wanted it forever. 

I am glad I kept all my beat books had some restored because I could turn a good into a fine and get great money people did not have a dislike to restored books like they do now.

I still have my Spiderman 1 that I tore in half back in the 80s when I lost a beat that I would sell it for something like $100. I brought it home glued pages back and threw it in my junk box. I still have my beat-up FF 1 2 copy's Books like FF 2 missing the pin up page #5 missing the same page. 

I guess my love for low grade is stronger now since low grade beat books are more expensive than ever.(shrug)

On 2/25/2023 at 8:26 AM, woowoo said:

I never had a collection that I wanted my collection was beat up books. I had this talk with Dave Anderson early 80s he wanted the best and I wanted the worse what's wrong with me.

I never did have Anderson money I did, however.

Maybe you did, but probably just never realized you had it.  hm

Apparently Anderson brought a good portion of his Church Action run using credit cards at the time, as the card companies figured him for a good potential patsy going forward as he was just entering the dental field at the time.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/25/2023 at 1:26 PM, skypinkblu said:

When I got this years ago, it had brown tape all over the spine, white out and some marker, but Kenny fixed it...<3  I've always liked this cover the best of the three because of the train.

275289097_action13cgc65front.jpg.da6970f97d269771c70baf69ca698cfb.jpg

Restored books are great. You saved that comic from further deterioration. Once I find a centerfold, I'll do the same with my Tec 33.