• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet #49 - All covers have been revealed
2 2

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

This is a first; I can't remember an edition where I didn't like ANY of the covers.

+1

There's usually one tolerable cover but this year's crop are exceptionally uninspiring. 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:02 PM, TheSurgeon said:

My first- I can’t even imagine how many times I read through this. 

C6057F70-7010-4950-AD60-F3A12BBB6440.jpeg

Mine as well. I didn't eat lunch for a couple of weeks and used my school lunch money to buy it.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, TwoPiece said:

But... It's a price guide...

Anything even vaguely associated with comic books is collected by someone. Overstreet is an institution of the hobby, so of course, it has its own collectors. There's a market for back issues of the book. Variants just allow one more revenue stream, one more thing to make the collectors chase.

As for me, I just pick the cover I like the best, and add it to the library. By the time the new edition is published, the market reports are mostly out of date, and the prices frozen in amber. But I still love them. I look at them as a nice hardcover "year book" for comic collecting. And they look snazzy all lined up on the shelf.

This year the covers leave me cold. Guess it's the Davis cover by default for me.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:02 PM, TheSurgeon said:

My first- I can’t even imagine how many times I read through this. 

C6057F70-7010-4950-AD60-F3A12BBB6440.jpeg

That was my first as well. As a young person, I could never understand all the hubbub over Barks' paintings. In fact as an adult, <cough, cough> I still can't. I can appreciate the actual comic pages and his drawing and storytelling abilities, but the paintings don't do anything for me.

8 hours ago, Pontoon said:

That was my first as well. As a young person, I could never understand all the hubbub over Barks' paintings. In fact as an adult, <cough, cough> I still can't. I can appreciate the actual comic pages and his drawing and storytelling abilities, but the paintings don't do anything for me.

I agree- I did not really think much of the cover and I'm sure I did not know anything about the artist or associated comics. And that is still the case. It was all Marvel and DC for me, mostly silver age Marvels. At the time (I was in elementary school) the cost of the guide (probably around $5-10) seemed like a huge amount. I don't think I ever bought a new one until 35 years later when I re-entered the hobby. Any time I found a bookstore I would go in and check out the price guide. And, actually, I still do! Just did the other day, in fact!

On 5/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, Pontoon said:

This is a first; I can't remember an edition where I didn't like ANY of the covers.

From my personal point of view, they've had mostly horrid covers for several years in a row now.  :p

The only one that I really like was the Russ Heath Sgt Rock cover from a few years ago:

5331795-46c.jpg

But then again, it's probably really a matter of to each, their own.  

Especially since everybody has different taste when it comes to art.  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From my personal point of view, they've had mostly horrid covers for several years in a row now.  :p

The only one that I really like was the Russ Heath Sgt Rock cover from a few years ago:

5331795-46c.jpg

Thank you! I moved recently, and when I rebuilt my comic room I discovered I didn't have a 46. Couldn't figure out why.

It was because my local shops didn't have the Heath cover! I passed on the others.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:49 PM, DanCooper said:

You too can have your own Overstreet cover as long as you wait 16 years (2003) and be on for only one season with 14 episodes!

image.png.f0e2418fcbf22b817d95ce2f95ec41b3.png

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand that Firefly/Serenity is not everyone's cup of tea.  However, one way to look at this particular phenomenon is by its overall pop culture impact.  Firefly was the natural progression of Joss Whedon's Hollywood climb, beginning at Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which culminated in the creation of the The Avengers, the first installment of a series that just concluded in Avengers: Endgame.  Also, the various Firefly series are significant to comics due to its representation of the long partnership between Whedon and Dark Horse Comics.  Lastly, its is indeed a small franchise, but a franchise that still brings bodies into cons, which means dollars.

I collect old OSPGs and even though I scratch my head at the once-upon-a-time interest in Katy Keene that landed her on a cover - I still get why Bill Woggon was honored for his creation.

I for one, enjoy the diversity that the covers tend to represent.  I just hope someone can explain why Zorro is fighting frogmen...

On 5/3/2019 at 7:58 PM, Robot Man said:

When the “guide” came out it was the gospel. Everybody followed it to the number. Even the guys who didn’t know how to grade. They tended to get a little “lazy eye” shifting to the right a bit...

It wasn’t until Chuckie started selling the Church books at over guide that things started to change. I remember paying $6. For a $4. book and whining over it. For a Church copy! Think how cheap a lot of PCH, GGA and esoteric superhero books were then. 

Then came the internet and CGC and the rest is history. The guide became irrelevant except to the ones who knew better. Still NO better resource for comic book history and reference bar none.

”What a long strange trip it’s been”

Jerry Garcia

There are a couple small items that I would add here.  After Chuck's revelation of what a premium comic can be and before the internet, I experienced a couple events that highlighted comics' ability to appreciate in value, that may ring true for some of you as well...

1) The explosion of conventions: I started going to NYC-area cons in the early 80s and then they seemed to be everywhere in the 90s.  Seeing sellers ask for way more than cover price for old and new books was enlightening.

2) The listings in Copper Age comics from MHC and New England, among others that listed HOT comics for sale and limited the number that could be purchased was an indicator that certain books were commodities.

3) And lest we forget, Wizard, Hero and a number of other 80s and 90s publications that tried to do what Overstreet was doing, except by highlighting newer comics, artists and the trends of the time.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, #49. Next year will be #50!

First one I ever saw and bought was #3. Probably started collecting comics about 4-5 years before that. Man, I’m old...

Sure been a fun ride though and I’m not done yet!   :preach:

Used #1, first one bought was #2 for me

22 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I have seen the original of this cover from the collector who bought it directly from Geppi...FYI the paintings in real life look a lot better than the photos etc...the originals much more colorful in person.

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I probably should have phrased my comment differently. I don't think the last few years have been any great shakes either; this year's batch is sort of a new low to me.

40 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I have seen the original of this cover from the collector who bought it directly from Geppi...FYI the paintings in real life look a lot better than the photos etc...the originals much more colorful in person.

hm

Did this collector ever runs ads in Overstreet in which he was not fully clothed?

3 hours ago, camera73 said:
On 5/3/2019 at 2:49 PM, DanCooper said:

You too can have your own Overstreet cover as long as you wait 16 years (2003) and be on for only one season with 14 episodes!

image.png.f0e2418fcbf22b817d95ce2f95ec41b3.png

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand that Firefly/Serenity is not everyone's cup of tea.  However, one way to look at this particular phenomenon is by its overall pop culture impact.

Well, if you are going to go that far back, then they should have gone with Babylon 5 which I thought was a great si-fi TV show and even had a short comic book run to boot.  (thumbsu

Especially since B5 was probably one of the first TV series to move the concept of TV shows away from single episode stories to much more of a space opera with a continuous story line throughout the entire run.  :cloud9:

On 5/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, #49. Next year will be #50!

First one I ever saw and bought was #3. Probably started collecting comics about 4-5 years before that. Man, I’m old...

Sure been a fun ride though and I’m not done yet!   :preach:

First one I bought was #20. Man, did that cover price sting! 

;)