• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us the worst "restoration" you've seen
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Here's the one I just got.  It was advertised as "Poor condition, restored, trimmed and taped."  Oddly enough, it's not really trimmed, at least not trimed any more than your average Fox Giant.  But it sure is poor condition, taped, and I guess you could call it "restored", kinda.  Or is it conserved? 

The person who "restored" it chose to put on a back cover that very clearly doesn't belong.  The back "cover" is actually the front cover to a Photoplay magazine! And the front of the photo cover is on the inside of the book.  Then at some point, after some unkonwn person took care to rebuild the book with a new back cover and taped spine, the book lost a big chunk of its ugly back cover.   That's my best guess as to the sequence of events anyway, but maybe the "restorer" put on a back cover that was pre-damaged?

IMG_9109.jpg

IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9111.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

And here's my favorite poorly restored book.  Somebody had an Action 64 with no cover.  So they decided to create a new cover.  So they drew the cover.  In crayon.  Well, the blacks are magic marker and ballpoint, I think.  The rest is crayon.  I can't imagine how many hours somebody spent creating this thing, only to end up with a book that's Action 64 with a crayon front cover.  And of course, the back cover is original to some book, but not to this one.  That X-acto ad is on the back of Super Duck #9 (1946), so the back cover used here is probably off by a few years.

IMG_9115.thumb.jpg.a79389c383e53f47b811033b88517d96.jpg

That's not poorly restored. That's awesomely restored!

Here's my personal favorite from my collection.  They sewed the spine back together.  Not so much worst as interesting, honestly:

Comic_Cavalcade_28.jpg

6 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

And here's my favorite poorly restored book.  Somebody had an Action 64 with no cover.  So they decided to create a new cover.  So they drew the cover.  In crayon.  Well, the blacks are magic marker and ballpoint, I think.  The rest is crayon.  I can't imagine how many hours somebody spent creating this thing, only to end up with a book that's Action 64 with a crayon front cover.  And of course, the back cover is original to some book, but not to this one.  That X-acto ad is on the back of Super Duck #9 (1946), so the back cover used here is probably off by a few years.

IMG_9115.thumb.jpg.a79389c383e53f47b811033b88517d96.jpg

Wow! I love this. The cover seems pretty accurate. Either the creator had a great memory or this turned out to be a cool art project  😎

6 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

I guess this kind of qualifies.  Note the restoration.  It's trimmed, got tear seals, pieces reattached, been cleaned, reinforced.  But they drew the line at color touch. 

Because, you know, color touch would be just too much restoration for this comic. :insane:

action17.thumb.jpg.ca95a9e3565f951eb908e94de7f87547.jpg

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Only on  the spine and was very cheap...

comalltop16.jpg

Nice cover - and a nice handwritten issue number too :)