• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 14 Grade?

16 posts in this topic

This ASM 14 is currently a cbcs 4.0 but I think its a bit over-graded, I was going to crack it out to add to the rest of my spideys which are raw. What grade do you guys think? The cover is also slightly warped.

P1010351.JPG

IMG_4356 3.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

From what I can see that is a nice book overall and may have downgraded to VG 4.0 due to the corner pieces that are missing.

According to the grading standards a GD/VG 3.0 is allowed...

"A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable"

That book is certainly much nicer IMO than a GD/VG 3.0 and from what I can see appears to be nicer IMO than a VG 4.0 so it apparently lost points for the obvious defects.

I do not have my books graded but from what I understand is you get a discount for sending in competitors slabs to CGC to be regraded, someone with more knowledge on this will probably chime in.

4.0 seems like a pretty fair grade for this book. And it's easier to crack open those cases, too. :bigsmile:

If you want to get it regraded, I'd call CGC and ask them if they're still offering a discount for regrading competitor's slabs... 

Just now, TwoPiece said:

3.0 IMO. A chance that, if CGC grades it, 3.5 is possible.

ayy I'm going to send it to cgc 3.0 to 3.5 is a more accurate grade IMO. I cracked it out and the top staple is also quite delicately attached also. I think the grader was lenient on this one

3 minutes ago, noah1998 said:

ayy I'm going to send it to cgc 3.0 to 3.5 is a more accurate grade IMO. I cracked it out and the top staple is also quite delicately attached also. I think the grader was lenient on this one

You should have sent it in the slab! I think their crossover service is always 10% off grading fees (or something like that). Oh well. lol

I would be very surprised if this gets less than 3.0 or more than 3.5, but I'm not infallible. Good luck!

I dont get it.  I mean I do but I dont at the same time.  It is a rag book.  I dont like them but a lot of people here do.  Money is money i guess.  I hope you didnt pay much for it.  Whatever floats your boat...

Ohh hi TwoPiece!

On 5/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, marvelmaniac said:

From what I can see that is a nice book overall and may have downgraded to VG 4.0 due to the corner pieces that are missing.

According to the grading standards a GD/VG 3.0 is allowed...

"A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable"

That book is certainly much nicer IMO than a GD/VG 3.0 and from what I can see appears to be nicer IMO than a VG 4.0 so it apparently lost points for the obvious defects.

I do not have my books graded but from what I understand is you get a discount for sending in competitors slabs to CGC to be regraded, someone with more knowledge on this will probably chime in.

For awhile CGC was offering a discount on CBCS submissions to them if the book were to receive a lower grade from them. I'm not sure this program is still running. BTW, if the back cover shadow is from the person that took the image versus on the book, I would say this book is a solid 3.0. If the shadow is present on the back cover, I would grade between 2.5 to 3.0.

17 hours ago, Redbeard said:

For awhile CGC was offering a discount on CBCS submissions to them if the book were to receive a lower grade from them. I'm not sure this program is still running. BTW, if the back cover shadow is from the person that took the image versus on the book, I would say this book is a solid 3.0. If the shadow is present on the back cover, I would grade between 2.5 to 3.0.

The shadow on the back cover is me taking the photo haha if that's what you mean. It annoys me that CBCS would be off by a whole grade, I thought they were fairly similar to CGC.