• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Rare" items on eBay
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Just realized how easy it would be for eBay to write a little coding where if a seller used certain key words (ie "rare", "unique", "one of a kind") it could show the other 177 listings with the same key words and suggest editing said word/s.

not that they'd do that, but it'd sure be a nice way to leverage their listing data to improve on listing accuracy.

again, not that they'd do that.

Edited by miraclemet

Does seeing the word "rare" convince you it's rare?

Does seeing "NM" convince you it's "NM"?

Does seeing "signed 'Stan Lee'" convince you that THE Stan Lee signed it?

Does seeing "WOW" make you tune in even more? 

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

no. 

:D

I think my idea is more for managing expectations of sellers...similarly eBay could pretty elegantly display similar listings (and their prices) when sellers are setting their listing prices.

maybe this would lead to (a few) more realistic BINs (where the seller is actually trying to sell, vs trying to fish for a whale).

of course this is all assuming there are sellers out there doing no reasearch before listing, which I think is true.

43 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I think my idea is more for managing expectations of sellers...similarly eBay could pretty elegantly display similar listings (and their prices) when sellers are setting their listing prices.

maybe this would lead to (a few) more realistic BINs (where the seller is actually trying to sell, vs trying to fish for a whale).

of course this is all assuming there are sellers out there doing no reasearch before listing, which I think is true.

I get what and why you're saying it.

But I just don't want to see more layers of Feebay interjecting their "advice" into my selling.

They've already mandated that all BINs WILL be 30 days and that they WILL be automatically relisted, and that BOs should be added to BINs without BOs, and are pestering the seller to "send an offer to watchers"... and are now dabbling with intruding into the actual sales price I set by "offering" to lower the price X% every Xdays it doesn't sell (and in some cases lowering the price without seller knowing).

MmmNah.

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Perhaps.

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

But I just don't want to see more layers of Feebay interjecting their "advice" into my selling.

They've already mandated that all BINs WILL be 30 days and that they WILL be automatically relisted, and that BOs should be added to BINs without BOs, and are pestering the seller to "send an offer to watchers"... and are now dabbling with intruding into the actual sales price I set by "offering" to lower the price X% every Xdays it doesn't sell (and in some cases lowering the price without seller knowing).

MmmNah.

WTF?

Screw all of that. Thank Odin I don't need/want to sell.

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

What about "L@@K" (whatever that means)?

9 hours ago, miraclemet said:

eBay already suggests prices when making a listing. Sometimes it’s right on point and very useful too 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASY-MASTERPIECES-4-Classic-Thor-Silver-Surfer-Cover-MARVEL-VF/183793029657?hash=item2acaeb1219:g:OikAAOSwenVcx6Zj

Nearly $200 for reprint of Silver Surfer #4.

Probably not the right thread for this, but it's not worth it's own thread - and it's as amusing as many other "good golly look what I saw on ebay" threads.

And practically nothing misleading in the item title or description - except no mention of "reprint" can be found anywhere, and it's a bronze book listed in silver age section (but 75% of feebay does that).   What do you figure, about 50/50 chance the buyer returns it?

Edited by grebal

13 minutes ago, grebal said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASY-MASTERPIECES-4-Classic-Thor-Silver-Surfer-Cover-MARVEL-VF/183793029657?hash=item2acaeb1219:g:OikAAOSwenVcx6Zj

Nearly $200 for reprint of Silver Surfer #4.

Probably not the right thread for this, but it's not worth it's own thread - and it's as amusing as many other "good golly look what I saw on ebay" threads.

And practically nothing misleading in the item title or description - except no mention of "reprint" can be found anywhere.   What do you figure, about 50/50 chance the buyer returns it?

Nearly $200 bucks for that?

22 hours ago, jcjames said:

MmmNah.

If you don't have a store and only get 50 free auctions, this is another sneaky way to slap some fees on sellers if they're not careful.  It's more work to keep track of how long auctions are before they are relisted and charged a fee because all the free listings are used up.

My years ago I was looking for a beat up copy of Gone with the Wind for a graduation present for one of my former students. 
They had the words unique and rare in the title, but the book was pretty beat up so I took a look out of curiousity. That and
after the first day it was already $500 and climbing per auction.

Turns out Grandkids found the book in Grandma's attic after she passed. What they found inside is what fascinated me.
Turns out Grandma wrote to Margaret Mitchell as a teenager and inside was an envelope and a return letter from Margaret
Mitchell signed by her. 

Every once in awhile rare actually means it.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 5/4/2019 at 9:38 AM, jcjames said:

What really gets my attention is "Movie" cuz then you know that book is hot.