• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Kirby Signature Question

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Not necessarily. For awhile, CGC was putting that book in a blue label with the note on the label. Then they changed due to CGC trying to make their signature series books sell at a premium. They started putting all unwitnessed signed books in a green label - Qualified holder. My last batch of books I got back from them had those same type of signatures back again in blue label with the label note. If feel a blue label is the proper approach. Otherwise, it is similar to CGC stating that unwitnessed signed books have been defaced!

From what I recall, they sometimes used to downgrade signed books that were unwitnessed and put the "name written on cover" notation on the label (so people could still get a blue label) but they very, very rarely used to downgrade for signatures on the interior...and while they would Qualify many books with an unwitnessed signature written on the cover, they never used to Qualify a book with a signature on an interior page...  hm

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

From what I recall, they sometimes used to downgrade signed books that were unwitnessed and put the "name written on cover" notation on the label (so people could still get a blue label) but they very, very rarely used to downgrade for signatures on the interior...and while they would Qualify many books with an unwitnessed signature written on the cover, they never used to Qualify a book with a signature on an interior page...  hm

Gray area. Technically, if not authenticated or witnessed, it can't be considered a "signature", the word signature, inferring by the person named. In that case, it's not a signature but a name written on the cover, and anyone could have written it. But what about names written on books like Larson? That doesn't seem to demote the grade, or eve the extensively written on Marvel 1 Pay copy. That's one o the highest graded, isn't it?