• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who/what got you started on your OA journey?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

In the spirit of Huey, Dewey and Louie from "Maharaja Donald" (March of Comics #4), I went to the 1978 Houston Con (my first out-of-town comic con) with a little (very) bit of cash and five low grade issues of Crack and Smash with Lou Fine art. I traded the five comics for a Golden Age Murphy Anderson page from Planet Comics and a complete Fiction House jungle girl story. I then traded the complete story to some guys for $300 credit toward an Amazing Fantasy 15 that a friend wanted. My friend gave me the $300 cash, which I used to buy a pretty decent copy of Police Comics #1. Forty-one years later, I still have the Anderson page, though the Police Comics #1 is long gone -- a victim of the normal post-graduate poverty that many of us have experienced. I had bought and sold other pieces of art for the years preceding the mid 1980s when I would get back into buying art to keep. I took another respite from about 1988 to the mid 90s to have a kid, start a business, etc, but held on to most of my collection. Been buying art ever since.

anderson.jpg.a546d583e5c0302a92627833d8617bca.jpg

2 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

I went to the 1978 Houston Con

I was there, too. I bought Fantasy Quarterly #1 featuring Elfquest at that show offer a dealer's table (Bud Plant, IIRC). Figured I'd never see the second issue, but I liked the art.

Wish I'd bought some OA then. I had some money, but no wisdom. :)

Would it be in poor taste to say that the rising values attracted my attention?  And how do I tell you all that because of the unfreezing process i have no inner monologue...?......I hope I didn't say that out loud just now.