• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for help in Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland
2 2

20 posts in this topic

UK boardies, can you help me?

I'll be traveling through Ireland and Northern Ireland (and possibly Edinburgh) this summer. The big comic stores there all seem to focus on American comics, but I'm looking for UK stuff!

Early, UK stuff by Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, Alan Moore, Brian Bolland... 

2000AD, sure, but I'm looking for much rarer stuff... the music magazines where they cut their teeth, fanzines, the counter-culture magazines Bolland did work for in the early '70s.

So... where should I be looking? Are there collectors there that I should be reaching out to before I go?

Please help.

Sincerely,

A supporter of the Lend/Lease Act.

If you are in Dublin check out the following stores for old British comics:

Sub City Comics . They have two stores in the city centre, and have large back issue stock. 

https://www.subcitycomics.ie/

There is a second hand book and record store that often has very obscure music magazines, comics and old annuals called The Secret Book and Record Store (it's also known as Freebird Records)

https://www.facebook.com/The-Secret-Book-and-Record-Store-124706510933587/

http://www.freebird.ie/

There are other very good comic shops in Dublin; The Big Bang , Forbidden Planet and Dublin City Comics, but they mainly stock new comics and US back issues.

9 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

2000AD

Forbidden Planet in Belfast has a run of 2000AD however I think they are the later issues, there was a time that toilet roll had more value which was sad as a lot of good work went into the magazines. I can't think of anymore outlets even the second hand bookshops have all closed down which again was a favourite past time of mine. Good luck on your search maybe Dublin and Scotland will bear fruit.(thumbsu 

On 5/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, JTLarsen said:

I'm looking for UK stuff!

Good news for you:bigsmile: and bad news for someone else:| The Forbidden Planet in Belfast has just got thousands and thousands of back issues at the expense of someone either dying or needing money.:foryou: They range from £3-£15.00 and a the early silver age are £15.00 Daredevil's Spider-man Iron man. They also have a few 1st appearances She Hulk Legion Phoenix Dark Phoenix Carnage (don't tell Swami for £30.00) Amazing 300 for £200 and Iron man 1 for £300 (is that a good price for about a 5.0?). Good luck. 

On 5/6/2019 at 1:26 PM, tv horror said:

Good news for you:bigsmile: and bad news for someone else:| The Forbidden Planet in Belfast has just got thousands and thousands of back issues at the expense of someone either dying or needing money.:foryou: They range from £3-£15.00 and a the early silver age are £15.00 Daredevil's Spider-man Iron man. They also have a few 1st appearances She Hulk Legion Phoenix Dark Phoenix Carnage (don't tell Swami for £30.00) Amazing 300 for £200 and Iron man 1 for £300 (is that a good price for about a 5.0?). Good luck. 

Thanks for all the tips... are you in Belfast?

On 5/5/2019 at 1:57 PM, Revol said:

If you are in Dublin check out the following stores for old British comics:

Sub City Comics . They have two stores in the city centre, and have large back issue stock. 

https://www.subcitycomics.ie/

There is a second hand book and record store that often has very obscure music magazines, comics and old annuals called The Secret Book and Record Store (it's also known as Freebird Records)

https://www.facebook.com/The-Secret-Book-and-Record-Store-124706510933587/

http://www.freebird.ie/

There are other very good comic shops in Dublin; The Big Bang , Forbidden Planet and Dublin City Comics, but they mainly stock new comics and US back issues.

Thanks so much, this is a great start! Do you know of places other than Dublin? We're going to be traveling a bit outside the city...

I was in Dublin about two years ago. Forgot the name of the store (by the river in the funky hip part of the city) but they had two stores within blocks of each other. Went to one looking for back issues. It had a basement. A couple of blocks past this store was the other one with just toys (sorry, action figures) and my God it was awesome. A temple to cool stuff!

8 hours ago, Whizzer said:

Although it's in London, 30th Century Comics has a great selection of British esoteric comics. I'm sure they'd have no problem doing mail order to the U.S.

They don’t! 😜

On 5/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, Phicks said:

I too will be in Dublin next month, but my interest is Silver Age US Comics.  Are there any shops you would recommend?

None. Better to get drunk. 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:55 PM, Phicks said:

I too will be in Dublin next month, but my interest is Silver Age US Comics.  Are there any shops you would recommend?

Visit St James Gate Brewery instead!

On 6/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, JTLarsen said:

I can do both. I’m arriving Saturday! No more recommendations? Edinburgh? Southern Ireland?

What did you find on your trip?  I’m heading to Ireland tonight for a week in Dublin, Galway and Belfast (mostly).  Would like to find some of the She-Ra UK books from early eighties along the way...

On 6/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, NoMan said:

None. Better to get drunk. 

11 hours ago, westerberg14 said:

What did you find on your trip?  I’m heading to Ireland tonight for a week in Dublin, Galway and Belfast (mostly).  Would like to find some of the She-Ra UK books from early eighties along the way...

Galway was a bust. No back issues at Sub City. Sean at Sub City Dublin on Mary Street is kickass. Tell him Jonathan sent you. I also recommend Coffee and Heroes and Atomic Books Comics and Muzic both in Belfast.

Also...check charity shops! Good hunting!

On 7/21/2019 at 5:04 AM, Tobytotts said:

I don’t know if it’s too late but while your in the uk try looking for old copies of the music magazine ‘Sounds’ which had a strip by Curt vile which was a pseudonym for Alan Moore

FD2265AA-D858-41D1-A318-458F8052E620.jpeg

607DCEEA-054D-475F-AD56-9B974FF1958C.jpeg

THANK YOU! I have some of these but wasn’t sure where to look in the UK...