• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tear seals: What type of rice paper is used?

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I recently purchased a small collection of low grade Golden Age books. A number of them are completely detached, some have detached centerfolds only, and others have spine splits and large tears.

Since I've already determined that many of these would grade very low, I'm interested more in restoring or conserving some of these.

For detached covers, I'm planning to use a PVA and simply glue the cover on. I'm sure the proper way is to do leaf casting, which I haven't a clue how to do.

1) However for Spine Splits and large tears, I wanted to try a tear seal with Japanese rice paper and wheat paste. Does anyone here have experience with this and advise on what type of Japanese Rice paper to use?

2) What should be done about detached centerfolds when a comic is Mid-low grade?

I appreciate your help.

regards,

Joshua

On 5/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, BrooklynComics said:

Hi All,

I recently purchased a small collection of low grade Golden Age books. A number of them are completely detached, some have detached centerfolds only, and others have spine splits and large tears.

Since I've already determined that many of these would grade very low, I'm interested more in restoring or conserving some of these.

For detached covers, I'm planning to use a PVA and simply glue the cover on. I'm sure the proper way is to do leaf casting, which I haven't a clue how to do.

1) However for Spine Splits and large tears, I wanted to try a tear seal with Japanese rice paper and wheat paste. Does anyone here have experience with this and advise on what type of Japanese Rice paper to use?

2) What should be done about detached centerfolds when a comic is Mid-low grade?

I appreciate your help.

regards,

Joshua

Hi Joshua, based on your post, I assume you wish to keep these books and not sell them in the future. If that is the case, you may do as you wish. But, if you plan to sell them, do not restore them, it will greatly reduce the value/marketability of the book(s).