• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minor rant about an eBayer (not eBay)...

31 posts in this topic

I have an X-Men 1 (R) 7.0 up for auction... .99 cent opening bid. It's up to almost $2000 with a week to go.

Got an email from someone, who hasn't bid on the book, complaining that I was charging $40 to ship.

I explained that covered Priority Mail, registered mail, insurance, restricted delivery and signature confirmation.

They responded that it still shouldn't cost that much, and that I don't need all those services.

To which I wanted to reply that, dude, if you're complaining about $40 in SECURELY and SAFELY shipping a book that's likely gonna sell for over $3000, maybe you shouldn't bid on it.

I didn't say it, of course, but I wanted to. LOL

tenor.gif

Okay... I feel better now. Rant over. :)

23 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I have an X-Men 1 (R) 7.0 up for auction... .99 cent opening bid. It's up to almost $2000 with a week to go.

Got an email from someone, who hasn't bid on the book, complaining that I was charging $40 to ship.

I explained that covered Priority Mail, registered mail, insurance, restricted delivery and signature confirmation.

They responded that it still shouldn't cost that much, and that I don't need all those services.

To which I wanted to reply that, dude, if you're complaining about $40 in SECURELY and SAFELY shipping a book that's likely gonna sell for over $3000, maybe you shouldn't bid on it.

tenor.gif

Oh, I think I'd say it.

Buying signature confirmation while simultaneously insuring a package is redundant. It used to be $200, but they change it so often, I'm not sure what it is anymore. But if you're sending a package registered mail, for ANY value, you have to sign for the package, so adding signature confirmation to such a package is an unnecessary cost. I would imagine restricted delivery is also redundant. Registered mail is the most secure service the USPS offers, and is *supposed* to guarantee that the package only goes to the addressee who must provide identification to receive the package. Combined with insurance, and the whole thing is completely covered, under lock and key from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Block them now! Before they harsh your mellow anymore. Block them now! this type of buyer might very well mess things up.

I don't waste any time on people like that. I block them immediately as well. I wouldn't have even responded to them because that's
what they want.

If I have too I usually tell them PM me again and I will report them to ebay for harassment or something like that.

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

tenor.gif

Block 'em & then sell me that Xmen 1 for $500! I promise I will give you no hassles!!!!!!

tenor.gif

Somewhere along the line you must have read Dale Carnegie's, "How to win friends and influence people". (thumbsu 

Rant away. Think it. Say it. Scream it. Write it. Its all good. Get it out of your system.  But don't say it or send it. It's called "tact".

Edited by James J Johnson

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Buying signature confirmation while simultaneously insuring a package is redundant. It used to be $200, but they change it so often, I'm not sure what it is anymore. But if you're sending a package registered mail, for ANY value, you have to sign for the package, so adding signature confirmation to such a package is an unnecessary cost. I would imagine restricted delivery is also redundant. Registered mail is the most secure service the USPS offers, and is *supposed* to guarantee that the package only goes to the addressee who must provide identification to receive the package. Combined with insurance, and the whole thing is completely covered, under lock and key from start to finish.

You are correct about the signature confirmation... that is included with registered mail. I was thinking electronic receipt. I would respectfully disagree on 'restricted delivery', though. I want the signature and ID of the purchaser.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

You are correct about the signature confirmation... that is included with registered mail. I was thinking electronic receipt. I would respectfully disagree on 'restricted delivery', though. I want the signature and ID of the purchaser.

This is a bit of a nitpick, but you told the guy the cost covers both Priority Mail and Registered Mail.  That's kinda like saying it covers Media Mail and Express Overnight...they are two different services and they're mutually exclusive.  It's either one or the other.  Now you can use a Priority box to send something via Registered Mail, but you're still sending it via Registered Mail. 

But I agree with the others, block the guy immediately and move on.  Definitely seems like trouble.  I generally offer free shipping on all my items just to avoid these kinds of complaints.  I figure people will bid a bit more on an item with free shipping which should cover the cost without any of the risk of these crazies who dissect every penny of the shipping cost. 

4 minutes ago, Turtle said:

This is a bit of a nitpick, but you told the guy the cost covers both Priority Mail and Registered Mail.  That's kinda like saying it covers Media Mail and Express Overnight...they are two different services and they're mutually exclusive.  It's either one or the other.  Now you can use a Priority box to send something via Registered Mail, but you're still sending it via Registered Mail. 

Hmmm... that I didn't realize. But what you're saying does make sense. I see the separate charges on the receipt for postage and for registered mail, but PM is way faster than registered mail. I will make that adjustment going forward. Sadly, eBay has no selection for "registered mail" in its shipping, so that's tougher.

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

That comes with Registered mail, also. You must present ID and sign for registered mail, and you can look up online who signed for it. Check with your post office. 

Hmmm... that I didn't realize. But what you're saying does make sense. I see the separate charges on the receipt for postage and for registered mail, but PM is way faster than registered mail. I will make that adjustment going forward. Sadly, eBay has no selection for "registered mail" in its shipping, so that's tougher.

That's because Registered mail must be presented to a clerk at the post office, so that it can begin a  "chain of custody", and so the clerk can confirm that it's properly packaged. Registered mail is the most secure service the USPS offers, so it can't be used for dropoffs. When you send something "Priority mail" but then register it, it goes as registered mail, and the "Priority" part is ignored. Registered mail also needs to be paper taped, with reinforced gummed kraft paper tape, so the clerk can "seal" the package with postmarks, to ensure the box isn't opened or tampered with along the way. 

All of my books are sent to CGC via Registered mail (with a VERY occasional overnight, when time is of the essence, but that has drawbacks.)

Here's a decent video about Registered mail. It deals with bullion, but much of the info is universal: