• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sub-Mariner #1 Grade In!
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Just received this Sub-Mariner#1 that I won on the Bay what do you guys think? Covers glossy small ticks along the spine small piece missing FC corner, corners are soft lower BC issue.

Thanks

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Edited by billsid

31 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Looks like heavier tanning to cover edges and pages. For me, in the 5.0-5.5 range. Top staple also looks like its barely hanging on. 

Both staples are tight. Do you think a press would be worth doing?

All a press does is flatten a book and smooth out non color breaking bends or indentations. It's not going to replace the missing LRC nor will it do anything about the tanning. It may even pop the upper staple if it is as precarious as it looks.

Higher quality scans would be helpful here. Looks like a heavy dust-shadow on the back cover. Torn overhang on the BC is unfortunate because it looks like it was miscut, contributing to that tearing/fraying.

I’d call it a VG/FN, but my experience is CGC hammers dust-shadowing, so it may grade out lower than that.

my concern with this was the Tanning on the inside of the cover you always hear that CGC dings books hard for tanning so I was worried about that thinking if it came back a 5.0 I would be happy but a 6.0 is a true bonus for me considering what I paid for it.

Edited by billsid