• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's what 11 year-old me thought about comics
2 2

32 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The fact checkers at Chart Your Course were asleep at the wheel.

Much better standard of writing than I'd achieved by that age, though.  :smile:

That's great! I was writing a column in our church newsletter at that age called Teen Scene about the youth group activities. Mainly did it to hook up with girls in the Youth Group. 

54 minutes ago, oldrover said:

LOL... and ouch...

30crax.gif

...that's gotta hurt.

Not really, if you paid attention to his edit. 

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Wasn’t it Chamber of Darkness 4 that had the Starr the Slayer Conan tryout by BWS, and would’ve been the more expensive of the two BWS issues?

I was curious myself and it looks like the BWS issue (#4) is worth less than the stated $250 nowadays.
It was probably considered a key because it was a prototype for Conan.  Something that is probably overlooked nowadays as not important.
https://comicbookrealm.com/series/387/0/marvel-comics-chamber-of-darkness

11 year old you had 1,200 comics!!??  Wow, that's some good parental support for the hobby - good for you.  I remember if I told my parents that I spent 25 or 30 cents on a comic they thought I was crazy stupid on how I spent my money....don't get me started on spending quarters at the arcade - that was one step from being a pot head.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, thunsicker said:

I remember when those artists were the bomb.  Nowadays, I think of the ones you mention only Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson are considered "hot" artists whose work commands much of a premium.

Oh and  lol Jim Steanko.

I would bet that BUTM spelled Steranko's name correctly and whoever did the typesetting/whatever made the spelling error. Neat article though- thanks for sharing.

On 5/6/2019 at 6:03 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

I want to go back in time and be your friend. :foryou:

Additions to that include...

Beat up his bully or bullies

Save him from a raging fire

Lend him money whenever he needed any

Buy him an Atari

Fix his bike

Fix his car...

:hi: :foryou:

8 hours ago, JazzMan said:

11 year old you had 1,200 comics!!??  Wow, that's some good parental support for the hobby - good for you.  I remember if I told my parents that I spent 25 or 30 cents on a comic they thought I was crazy stupid on how I spent my money....don't get me started on spending quarters at the arcade - that was one step from being a pot head.

Any dime I had went straight to buying skateboards   :makepoint:  :facepalm: :boo: ugghh... what was a decent looking ASM 1 going for in early 90s? Could of saved whatever I had & asked the old man for the rest!

Edited by MGsimba77

8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

On 5/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, thunsicker said:

I remember when those artists were the bomb.  Nowadays, I think of the ones you mention only Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson are considered "hot" artists whose work commands much of a premium.

Oh and  lol Jim Steanko.

I would bet that BUTM spelled Steranko's name correctly and whoever did the typesetting/whatever made the spelling error. Neat article though- thanks for sharing.

Want to make it clear, I wasn’t laughing at you, Blowie.  It just reminded me of the Tony Stank line and brought a smile to my face.  I think most of us here would be proud to be published at 11 and have it be about the comics we love.