• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Marvel found its way again?

131 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Marvel Just needs every comic to be number 1 and have 50 variant titles for each issue number 1

I would say this action would make me quit comics, but it wouldn't alienate 20th century stuff. I would never buy a 21st century comic book again if this happened, though. Not that I'm buying a lot of them as it is. lol

24 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Marvel Just needs every comic to be number 1 and have 50 variant titles for each issue number 1

That's pretty much what they have been doing! 

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I would say this action would make me quit comics, but it wouldn't alienate 20th century stuff. I would never buy a 21st century comic book again if this happened, though. Not that I'm buying a lot of them as it is. lol

Current books have almost no appeal to me, I think the last MA books I bought were the Thanos Wins arc & Metal! 

9 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Bizarre and amazing... not a squad you wanna mess with.  They should just be called "The Badasses."

Yeah If i was a baddie don't expect to leave with all your teeth fighting this bunch! They are setting them getting together slowly too, punisher only shows up last page, no elektra or venom at all ...

I will see if the 2nd issue grabs me with no Conan gimmick......

Edited by comics4all

26 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I quit new Marvel once Wolverine taped rebar to his hands.  Doesn't sound like there's any reason to come back.  :/

There aren't many reasons to come back. lol Most of what Dc & Marvel are putting out is lame.

I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on with moderns today because I haven't  purchased a new comic in decades., My way of thinking is instead of spending $4.00 (or so) for a modern, there's all kinds of good runs printed in the '80's or '90's that can be had for much less....pennies on the dollar and for the most part much better reads.  There's your bang for your buck. Seems to me that based on what I'm reading in this thread, it's still a shoot as far as getting anything decent today.

Back issues are the future me thinks. Maybe a lot of people haven't  figured that out yet.

55 minutes ago, ninanina said:

I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on with moderns today because I haven't  purchased a new comic in decades., My way of thinking is instead of spending $4.00 (or so) for a modern, there's all kinds of good runs printed in the '80's or '90's that can be had for much less....pennies on the dollar and for the most part much better reads.  There's your bang for your buck. Seems to me that based on what I'm reading in this thread, it's still a shoot as far as getting anything decent today.

Back issues are the future me thinks. Maybe a lot of people haven't  figured that out yet.

There’s tons of good modern stuff out, much better value in trade though, especially considering I never pay more than 60% of cover price

Marvel never lost their way.  They don't care about the comics anymore.  They have 50+ years of comic book -script stories they can make into films.

In 2008 Marvel officially left the comic book industry to be in the movie business.  Marvel comic books are now the same as their trading cards, toys, T-shirts, and video games etc.  Just a smaller part of the over all machine that is now the MCU.

The talent that is still left doing Marvel's comic book art and stories are mostly the bottom of the barrel garbage.   Zero talent and mostly hacks. The real talent is making it in the MCU now.   Actually most of the talent doing the comic books are loser soy boys who are beta male cucks. 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:17 PM, F For Fake said:

I haven't bought a regular Marvel comic in years, but about once a year or so I'll sign up to Marvel Unlimited for a month and blast through a bunch of stuff, all the reading I can cram into 30 days for $10. I usually get caught up on the Star Wars books, which I casually enjoy (particularly the first Darth Vader series, that was pretty great.) and then just scan around for other stuff to read.

So, last weekend I was at a show, and everyone and their mother was raving about Immortal Hulk. Everybody's reading it, everybody's looking for it, everybody's buying it. SO, knowing that i was going to be heading out of town this weekend, I loaded up the app with the Avengers storyline that introduced the character, and the first 6 or 7 issues of Immortal Hulk, and went on my way.

I read them all over the weekend and was pretty underwhelmed. I mean, it was FINE, there was nothing really wrong with it, but I didn't see anything special about it, and compared to the hype, I was fairly disappointed.After the raves I was expecting something pretty special. I...didn't get that from reading them.And I was excited going into it, so that was a bit of a bummer.

SO...what else is worth reading from Marvel right now? I've got about three weeks left on my Unlimited sub, what should I check out? People keep talking about new Venom and Thanos series. Are they worth checking out? I don't care about either character, but that hasn't stopped me from reading books with them in it before. What is worth reading from Marvel that I can jump in and out of fairly easily? Talking about books published in the last couple of years. I'm well versed in the classic Marvel books.

I highly recommend Vader.  Charles Soule is probably one of the most talented comic writers out there, across the board.  Pick up anything you can find by him.  You will not be disappointed.  He did an outstanding job on Vader.  The latest doctor strange is interesting.  I’ve only read about five issues on unlimited and it’s good so far.  

Overall I feel like the quality lately has been better than it’s been in years.  I find a lot of the most recent material to be at least interesting.  

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

I highly recommend Vader.  Charles Soule is probably one of the most talented comic writers out there, across the board.  Pick up anything you can find by him.  You will not be disappointed.  He did an outstanding job on Vader.  The latest doctor strange is interesting.  I’ve only read about five issues on unlimited and it’s good so far.  

Overall I feel like the quality lately has been better than it’s been in years.  I find a lot of the most recent material to be at least interesting.  

I really like Vader as well. I wasn't that excited going in but after 3 issues I was hooked. Good stuff. 

The new Avengers title has gotten better. I disliked the first 6 issues but since then it's been pretty good. I like seeing Blade as an Avenger.....I'd like to see him stick around. The storyline with Dracula and the vampire war has been good. Others in the past 2 years that I've enjoyed are Domino, the Guardians of the Galaxy that just came out, Gwenpool. I really liked Astonishing X-Men but they had to go and cancel it to make room for Uncanny. In a perfect world they'd bring back Warren Ellis for Thunderbolts and Jeff Parker for Agents of Atlas. I loved those two books.

11 hours ago, comicquant said:

I will look up Charles Soule's work, thanks a bunch! Did he write the original Vader series for Marvel? Because I seriously loved that. I'm not even much of a Star Wars guy, but I thought that was such a nice job of world and character building, I really dug it. I know there's a more recent Vader series and it has been fine, though it didn't hit me as hard as the first series. Will add Soule to my list, thanks again!