• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Marvel found its way again?

131 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I will look up Charles Soule's work, thanks a bunch! Did he write the original Vader series for Marvel? Because I seriously loved that. I'm not even much of a Star Wars guy, but I thought that was such a nice job of world and character building, I really dug it. I know there's a more recent Vader series and it has been fine, though it didn't hit me as hard as the first series. Will add Soule to my list, thanks again!

No worries!  Below are some of the series he's worked on.

Marvel series
DC Series
Image Series

He has a few novels out as well.  Just a highly intelligent individual with a penchant for writing great stories!  While looking for his works I discovered a bunch of books I was unaware of so I'm looking forward reading them.

Edited by comicquant

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I will look up Charles Soule's work, thanks a bunch! Did he write the original Vader series for Marvel? Because I seriously loved that. I'm not even much of a Star Wars guy, but I thought that was such a nice job of world and character building, I really dug it. I know there's a more recent Vader series and it has been fine, though it didn't hit me as hard as the first series. Will add Soule to my list, thanks again!

Kieron Gillen wrote the first Vader series. Check out his run on Journey Into Mystery from around 2011, too. He can be fantastic at times.

Thanks a bunch everyone, that should keep me busy for a couple of weeks for sure!

I will say this, it's better than it was when Axel Alonso was Editor in Chief, but again...that isn't saying much. 

I have 4 monthly titles I pull.  Captain America, Daredevil, ASM, and Immortal Hulk.  I dropped Avengers last month. 

22 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I will say this, it's better than it was when Axel Alonso was Editor in Chief, but again...that isn't saying much. 

I have 4 monthly titles I pull.  Captain America, Daredevil, ASM, and Immortal Hulk.  I dropped Avengers last month. 

Your favorite among them?

And Marvel sales reached a level they haven’t seen in about a decade.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/10/immortal-hulk-outsells-batman/

The April 2019 Diamond Comic Distributor stats are out, and they make rather interesting reading. As well as Marvel Comics getting a 50% unit share, Immortal Hulk #16 had higher orders than Batman #68 and #69. Since the New 52 reboot/relaunch, the twice-monthly Batman comic book as been the old reliable at DC Comics, constantly topping the charts, only beaten by the occasional first issue launch, event comics mini-series like Secret Empire, Metal or The Batman Who Laughs. For a regular issue of an ongoing series to top Batman is unheard of. Until Immortal Hulk.

5 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

And Marvel sales reached a level they haven’t seen in about a decade.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/10/immortal-hulk-outsells-batman/

The April 2019 Diamond Comic Distributor stats are out, and they make rather interesting reading. As well as Marvel Comics getting a 50% unit share, Immortal Hulk #16 had higher orders than Batman #68 and #69. Since the New 52 reboot/relaunch, the twice-monthly Batman comic book as been the old reliable at DC Comics, constantly topping the charts, only beaten by the occasional first issue launch, event comics mini-series like Secret Empire, Metal or The Batman Who Laughs. For a regular issue of an ongoing series to top Batman is unheard of. Until Immortal Hulk.

•  

Wow,  Two Bruces going at it !

16 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Your favorite among them?

I like Daredevil, because it has been consistent with their treatment of Matt Murdock.   

Captain America is also good, I always like the espionage element the title carries, but they are still harping on that Secret Empire Cap, which I quite frankly, hated that storyline (way too Nick Spencer preachy-political for my liking).   

Immortal Hulk is interesting/weird.  A bit more horror than superhero.  I am still not sure where they intend on going with it, and I am slightly miffed at how much issues #1 and #2 are commanding in the secondary market. 

I can take or leave ASM, and that pains me to say. 

On 5/9/2019 at 6:19 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Marvel never lost their way.  They don't care about the comics anymore.  They have 50+ years of comic book --script stories they can make into films.

In 2008 Marvel officially left the comic book industry to be in the movie business.  Marvel comic books are now the same as their trading cards, toys, T-shirts, and video games etc.  Just a smaller part of the over all machine that is now the MCU.

The talent that is still left doing Marvel's comic book art and stories are mostly the bottom of the barrel garbage.   Zero talent and mostly hacks. The real talent is making it in the MCU now.   Actually most of the talent doing the comic books are loser soy boys who are beta male cucks. 

You got to let us know how you REALLY feel lol

35 minutes ago, dyelan said:

Until Marvel stops valuing identity politics over good stories their tailspin will continue. If it wasn't for Disney's deep pockets they would be crashing even faster.

Completely agreed.

During Stan Lee's Golden Gold Age (because, lets be honest, his entire life was gold) there was honor in sending messages with his stories. In today's age of equality, it's just pushing agendas that are better off being sidelined for enjoyable reading. Back in the day, they were creating stories of equality that were the escapes from the shackles of reality. Today, I want that same escape from reality. Echoing the same annoyance of news and social media won't do it for me. It's too real, too boring, and too annoying.

4 hours ago, dyelan said:

Until Marvel stops valuing identity politics over good stories their tailspin will continue. If it wasn't for Disney's deep pockets they would be crashing even faster.

Marvel's best books right now are stuff like Immortal Hulk (white male protagonist), Venom (white male protagonist), and ASM (white male protagonist).

God, I hate when identity politics gets in the way of a good story.  /s

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Marvel's best books right now are stuff like Immortal Hulk (white male protagonist), Venom (white male protagonist), and ASM (white male protagonist).

God, I hate when identity politics gets in the way of a good story.  /s

I think that's the point. All of the political BS preventing other titles from being successful.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I think that's the point. All of the political BS preventing other titles from being successful.

Tailspin implies that there are no good stories out there worth reading.  There are plenty of good books being put out by Marvel right now (Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc).  Some books flounder, but to say "their" (implying all of Marvel) is a stretch.

16 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I can not get behind that artwork.   

Yeah, in my younger days I would have dropped the book based on the art.  But as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate a good story more.  del Mundo's art is terrible.  If it wasn't for the fact that we're finally getting the War of the Realms, I just might have dropped the book sooner.  I really don't understand why Marvel editorial has opted to lean towards this cartoony aesthetic for a lot of books.  I much prefer DC's stable of artists with the likes of Lee, Fabok, Capullo, Eaglesham, Kubert, etc.