• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Marvel found its way again?

131 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mec3437 said:

I feel like every player was an all star.  Larionov, Konstantinov, Makarov, and the list goes on and on.

Federov, Yzerman...that whole roster was when I started paying some attention to hockey and is the reason why I'm a Red Wings fan despite living in nowhere near Detroit/Michigan.

while some of you claim immortal hulk is "underwhelming" i feel that's one of their best titles currently. i'm currently regularly reading Immortal, Amazing spider-man, venom and the superior spider-man series,  that will probably only make it to 25 issues im sure, and the new volume of marvel comics presents. and grabing a mini series here and there from them. i can't say they suck, but they definitely aren't hitting it out the ballpark as of lately.  IMO their right in between sucks and being WOW!

18 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Viacheslav Fetisov may be the greatest defenseman in hockey history.

Tretiak was probably the greatest goalie too.

Look at the early intro of Russians into the NHL very succesful.

Albeit nowadays when people compare leagues,they dont even compare the KHL in means of competitiveness to the NHL they compare it to the AHL.

Regarding flagship,probably bad usage of the word for Marvel,I retract.

15 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Tretiak was probably the greatest goalie too.

Look at the early intro of Russians into the NHL very succesful.

Albeit nowadays when people compare leagues,they dont even compare the KHL in means of competitiveness to the NHL they compare it to the AHL.

Regarding flagship,probably bad usage of the word for Marvel,I retract.

That's not true, since players are constantly leaving both leagues, to join the other.

KHL is the 2nd most competitive hockey league in the world.

The AHL is a development league, just like the MHL.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's not true, since players are constantly leaving both leagues, to join the other.

KHL is the 2nd most competitive hockey league in the world.

The AHL is a development league, just like the MHL.

Alot of Russians go back to the KHL in the twilight of their careers, like datsyuk.

It's a good league,dont get me wrong, but in comparison to the NHL I dont think it reaches its competitiveness. There are thousands of Canadians who grow up playing minor hockey and it's less than 1% who actually make the NHL,and Canadians make up a large percentage of NHL ers.

Regarding the Soviets of old I wonder how many of them coulda took a Scott Steven's hit coming through the zone?

Canada did win the Summit series too.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Alot of Russians go back to the KHL in the twilight of their careers, like datsyuk.

It's a good league,dont get me wrong, but in comparison to the NHL I dont think it reaches its competitiveness. There are thousands of Canadians who grow up playing minor hockey and it's less than 1% who actually make the NHL,and Canadians make up a large percentage of NHL ers.

Regarding the Soviets of old I wonder how many of them coulda took a Scott Steven's hit coming through the zone?

Canada did win the Summit series too.

Nail Yakupov isn't in the "twilight" of his career. Non-Russians join the KHL all the time. Cam Barker (a Canadian), etc. The KHL is the 2nd most competitive hockey league. No contest. As much as the KHL may "pale in comparison" to the NHL, the AHL pales that much in comparison to the KHL.

Vyacheslav Kozlov, maybe? Alex Ovechkin is probably the best power forward the world has ever seen. He's Russian. I don't know why you would want to make some sort of statement about "taking a hit" about a certain country. Pavel Datsyuk was considered pound-for-pound the strongest player in the NHL for a decade. Sergei Fedorov was probably the most athletic player the NHL has ever seen in its history.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Nail Yakupov isn't in the "twilight" of his career. Non-Russians join the KHL all the time. Cam Barker (a Canadian), etc. The KHL is the 2nd most competitive hockey league. No contest. As much as the KHL may "pale in comparison" to the NHL, the AHL pales that much in comparison to the KHL.

Vyacheslav Kozlov, maybe? Alex Ovechkin is probably the best power forward the world has ever seen. He's Russian. I don't know why you would want to make some sort of statement about "taking a hit" about a certain country. Pavel Datsyuk was considered pound-for-pound the strongest player in the NHL for a decade. Sergei Fedorov was probably the most athletic player the NHL has ever seen in its history.

Nail Yakupov and cam Barker both stink. High draft picks,couldn't hack it in the NHL, your comparing competitiveness.

Alex Ovechkin has yet to take a faceoff in the KHL which would refute my point about Russians returning to their motherland to play hockey,if he had.This even after he threatened to do so when Bettman said NHL ers couldn't compete in the Olympics.

Being an Athlete has nothing to do with head hunting in the NHL, Eric Lindros was better than any of those aforementioned players and was never the same after Steven's clocked him.Canadian defenseman can catch anyone.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Nail Yakupov and cam Barker both stink. High draft picks,couldn't hack it in the NHL, your comparing competitiveness.

Alex Ovechkin has yet to take a faceoff in the KHL which would refute my point about Russians returning to their motherland to play hockey,if he had.This even after he threatened to do so when Bettman said NHL ers couldn't compete in the Olympics.

Being an Athlete has nothing to do with head hunting in the NHL, Eric Lindros was better than any of those aforementioned players and was never the same after Steven's clocked him.Canadian defenseman can catch anyone.

Nail Yakupov was on an upswing in the NHL when he bolted. The KHL still kept elite players like Evgeny Kuznetsov and Nikita Gusev for years after being desired by their NHL rights-holding teams.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Ovechkin was in the KHL for years before he was drafted and played in the NHL. He also played there in 2012-13 during the 3rd lockout... At this point I don't even know why I bother responding when you don't understand the subject.

You're trying to insult Russian players. Even though some of the best players in NHL history are Russian. That's the point I'm making. Ovechkin is better than wimps like Esposito and Bossy (whose career was cut short since he's a Canadian wimp). Fedorov was a better pure athlete than any Canadian not named Gordie Howe (since durability and career length matter).

Don't attempt to insult a country or a league based on false information. Niklas Kronwall killed quite a few Canadians like, Dany Heatley.

12 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Nail Yakupov was on an upswing in the NHL when he bolted. The KHL still kept elite players like Evgeny Kuznetsov and Nikita Gusev for years after being desired by their NHL rights-holding teams.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Ovechkin was in the KHL for years before he was drafted and played in the NHL. He also played there in 2012-13 during the 3rd lockout... At this point I don't even know why I bother responding when you don't understand the subject.

You're trying to insult Russian players. Even though some of the best players in NHL history are Russian. That's the point I'm making. Ovechkin is better than wimps like Esposito and Bossy (whose career was cut short since he's a Canadian wimp). Fedorov was a better pure athlete than any Canadian not named Gordie Howe (since durability and career length matter).

Don't attempt to insult a country or a league based on false information. Niklas Kronwall killed quite a few Canadians like, Dany Heatley.

Yakupov was not on an upswing

I will acquiesce that Ovie played in the RSL prior to the NHL.

In no way shape or form am I trying to insult Russian players,Pavel Bure was my favourite player growing up,and since I am a leaf fan my favourite game ever was when the leafs beat Florida 4-3 and Bure got a hat trick for Florida.

I agree some of the best players in NHL history are Russian,Bure,Molgilny,Federov,Ovechkin.

We are talking about Leagues.

Clearly you are a redwings fan.Redwings do know how to build winners and players who have left that organization have gone to other teams and built them up,Shanahan for example.

Canadian wimps?come on Bossy was one of the best goal scorers in the history of the game.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yakupov was not on an upswing

I will acquiesce that Ovie played in the RSL prior to the NHL.

In no way shape or form am I trying to insult Russian players,Pavel Bure was my favourite player growing up,and since I am a leaf fan my favourite game ever was when the leafs beat Florida 4-3 and Bure got a hat trick for Florida.

I agree some of the best players in NHL history are Russian,Bure,Molgilny,Federov,Ovechkin.

We are talking about Leagues.

Clearly you are a redwings fan.Redwings do know how to build winners and players who have left that organization have gone to other teams and built them up,Shanahan for example.

Canadian wimps?come on Bossy was one of the best goal scorers in the history of the game.

Yes, he was. He was a Top-6 forward in Colorado, and they were interested in re-signing him.

When talking about leagues, it has nothing to do with Scott Stevens hitting people, because as I said, Kozlov took one. I retorted with strong Russian players because your comment insinuates that Russians can't compete with him at the NHL level. Clearly, they can.

I am a hockey fan. Not a Red Wings fan.

Again, my "Canadian wimps" comment was posted to even the playing field. There's no reason to call "Russian toughness" into question when comparing the 2 most competitive hockey leagues in the world. The NHL is #1. The KHL is #2 AINEC. The AHL is peanuts compared to the KHL.

28 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yes, he was. He was a Top-6 forward in Colorado, and they were interested in re-signing him.

When talking about leagues, it has nothing to do with Scott Stevens hitting people, because as I said, Kozlov took one. I retorted with strong Russian players because your comment insinuates that Russians can't compete with him at the NHL level. Clearly, they can.

I am a hockey fan. Not a Red Wings fan.

Again, my "Canadian wimps" comment was posted to even the playing field. There's no reason to call "Russian toughness" into question when comparing the 2 most competitive hockey leagues in the world. The NHL is #1. The KHL is #2 AINEC. The AHL is peanuts compared to the KHL.

Playing field evened.

Where did Colorado draft the year Yakupov departed? 4th was that cale Makar?

You cannot judge a player based on the depth of a terrible team.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:54 PM, ExNihilo said:

Yeah, in my younger days I would have dropped the book based on the art.  But as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate a good story more.  del Mundo's art is terrible.  If it wasn't for the fact that we're finally getting the War of the Realms, I just might have dropped the book sooner.  I really don't understand why Marvel editorial has opted to lean towards this cartoony aesthetic for a lot of books.  I much prefer DC's stable of artists with the likes of Lee, Fabok, Capullo, Eaglesham, Kubert, etc.

Daredevil has had some pretty hard to look at art, but for some reason it fits in with the grittiness of the stories.  The Thor stuff just looks like a bad acid trip (or so I assume :smirk:)

On 5/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, ExNihilo said:

Tailspin implies that there are no good stories out there worth reading.  There are plenty of good books being put out by Marvel right now (Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc).  Some books flounder, but to say "their" (implying all of Marvel) is a stretch.

I agree there are some good books. However, sales are down for the third year in a row. Marvel is propping up their sales by variant covers, over shipping, rebooting series and raising cover prices. All of which hurt comic book shops. They know exactly what they are doing.