• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Marvel found its way again?

131 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Tailspin implies that there are no good stories out there worth reading.  There are plenty of good books being put out by Marvel right now (Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc).  Some books flounder, but to say "their" (implying all of Marvel) is a stretch.

I don't think the post you responded to is incorrect. If Marvel does the same thing to their alleged 'good' titles, right now, then their "tailspin" IMO will continue. I don't see implications that all of their titles currently stink.

I disagree on Thor. I think it sucks right now.

Interesting topic, I am enjoying all the comments. I haven't bought a new comic in about 10 years, however I keep wanting to jump back in. Prices are a big issue for me. A single comic just cost too much for what you get. $5 for 1 book that I can read from the shop to my truck...sad! Instead of buying new I just buy old back issues that I know are good reading material. Most of us grew up reading the flagship titles. I wish Marvel and DC could at least put their top writers and artist on these titles. Stop messing with characters that worked for 50 years and produce some quality comics. I wish they were more concerned with keeping customers happy and producing a good solid comic like they did for years. Books like Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Avengers, Batman, Detective, Superman etc should be priority. There is noting wrong with new characters just don't neglect the characters that older fans want to read. As someone mentioned earlier its all about flashy and multiple variant covers, and relaunching #1 issues which only ends up making collectors mad screwing up their # runs on books.

23 minutes ago, kidcolt said:

Interesting topic, I am enjoying all the comments. I haven't bought a new comic in about 10 years, however I keep wanting to jump back in. Prices are a big issue for me. A single comic just cost too much for what you get. $5 for 1 book that I can read from the shop to my truck...sad! Instead of buying new I just buy old back issues that I know are good reading material. Most of us grew up reading the flagship titles. I wish Marvel and DC could at least put their top writers and artist on these titles. Stop messing with characters that worked for 50 years and produce some quality comics. I wish they were more concerned with keeping customers happy and producing a good solid comic like they did for years. Books like Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Avengers, Batman, Detective, Superman etc should be priority. There is noting wrong with new characters just don't neglect the characters that older fans want to read. As someone mentioned earlier its all about flashy and multiple variant covers, and relaunching #1 issues which only ends up making collectors mad screwing up their # runs on books.

FWIW, IMO, current Action/Detective/Superman/Batman are all well-written with good artwork. DC seems to have more than a few titles with that combination of art and storytelling. I'm finding is really difficult to pick up a Marvel title with both attributes (but, as put many times, haven't checked out Immortal Hulk yet).

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I don't think Marvel really lost it's way,like any great Dynasty there is always a lull period,now they got guys like Donny Cates and Venom boy, they have always been on top,in my opinion.

I don't think you know what this word means.

The Montreal Canadiens, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, and Detroit Red Wings had dynasties.

Marvel hasn't had any characters with the recognition of Superman and Batman. You could say that Spider-Man and Wolverine are "close". They also don't even have a 700th issue of any title that I can reference off the top of my head.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I don't think you know what this word means.

The Montreal Canadiens, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, and Detroit Red Wings had dynasties.

Marvel hasn't had any characters with the recognition of Superman and Batman. You could say that Spider-Man and Wolverine are "close". They also don't even have a 700th issue of any title that I can reference off the top of my head.

Amazing Spiderman has over 800 issues.

Spiderman is definetly up there with superman and batman.

DC has two characters,if you want to talk about dynasties, it's like taking three quarters of the Canadians off the team.

Detroit Redwings never had a dynasty,by the way. And how come you only mention hockey.

Dynasties 

Liverpool FC of the seventies

Real Madrid-Galacticos

New York Yankees-Babe Ruth era

Los Angeles Lakers-Kareem Era

New England-Brady Era

Pittsburgh Steelers-Bradshaw Era

Ming dynasty

Great Britain-1700-1900

United States-Now

All Dynasties

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

DC has two characters,if you want to talk about dynasties, it's like taking three quarters of the Canadians off the team.

Detroit Redwings never had a dynasty,by the way. And how come you only mention hockey.

Dynasties 

Real Madrid-Galacticos

New England-Brady Era

Ming dynasty

Great Britain-1700-1900

United States-Now

All Dynasties

Whoops totally forgot about the Roman Empire,wonder why that was?

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Dynasties 

Real Madrid-Galacticos

New England-Brady Era

Ming dynasty

Great Britain-1700-1900

United States-Now

All Dynasties

6 Stanley Cup Finals (4 Championships) in 15 years while setting the league-record 62 Wins is not a dynasty..?

You've confirmed that you don't know the definition, now.

Edited by TwoPiece

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

6 Stanley Cup Finals (4 Championships) in 15 years while setting the league-record 62 Wins is not a dynasty..?

Good point.

I take it back. Detroit had a Dynasty,well arguably.

I mean at least two of the teams I mentioned won in several consecutive years

Pittsburgh Steelers 4 straight super bowls.

Real Madrid won 3 straight Champions Leagues in recent years,

Four Championships over a span of 15 years is one every four 

Chicago Blackhawks won 3 of 4

La Kings (I'm just going off the top of my head)

Pittsburgh Penguins (Two straight)

Golden state warriors what's that like 5 of 6

The Islanders won 4 straight.

I guess Marvel would be like a Detroit Red wings dynasty,if you looked at box office success,with the occasional competition from say Shazam and Aquaman.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

4 wins in 5 years is a dynasty. 4 wins in 15 years is not even close.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think the league record was beat this year too by the lightning.

Who went on to lose, nay...embarassed, in the first round.  :golfclap:

(EDIT: not a big hockey fan, but i think the Lightning may have tied the record for most wins?  But they certainly didn't beat the record for most points.)

Edited by ExNihilo

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I don't think Marvel really lost it's way,like any great Dynasty there is always a lull period,now they got guys like Donny Cates and Venom boy, they have always been on top,in my opinion.

No matter how you define it, the period following Secret Wars was bad.  Poor writing, no real editorial direction, bad gimmicks (all those variant lenticular covers), loss of talented creators.  And it all led to the shake-up that saw CB Cebulski moved up to Editor-in-chief.  Honestly, ever since then, the brand has turned around.  But things were looking REAL bad for a time there.

DC went through a similar period where New 52 was kinda lambasted by the fans.  On the flipside, Rebirth was well received.  That Rebirth coincided with Marvels downturn only served to magnify how poor Marvel stories were flagging, comparatively speaking, at the time.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's crazy.

If I were too say Marvels popular titles/characters would be

1.Amazing Spiderman

2.Avengers

3.Fantastic four

4.Incredible hulk

5 Captain America

6 Ironman

7 Xmen

Edited by Hollywood1892
Forgot Xmen

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Who went on to lose, nay...embarassed, in the first round.  :golfclap:

(EDIT: not a big hockey fan, but i think the Lightning may have tied the record for most wins?  But they certainly didn't beat the record for most points.)

A beatdown in the first round.

I'm a Leaf fan and had we beat the Bruins like we were supposed too we had a clear path to the Stanley Cup.

The entire NHL playoff format is messed up,unlike the Great (May he rest in peace) Stan Lee, Gary Bettman runs a dictatorship.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm a fan of whatever Hickman does.  If he mandated or fought to cancel the X-line so he could start his story fresh, I am 100% behind him.

Just now, ExNihilo said:

I'm a fan of whatever Hickman does.  If he mandated or fought to cancel the X-line so he could start his story fresh, I am 100% behind him.

One of my LCS posted the link to Facebook... to help encourage people to put X-Men on their pull list, so I think your not alone in feeling we're on the verge of something better :foryou:

47 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

One of my LCS posted the link to Facebook... to help encourage people to put X-Men on their pull list, so I think your not alone in feeling we're on the verge of something better :foryou:

There reinventing or rebooting alot of things at Marvel now,even the introduction of new spiderverse characters,or rehashing old stories 

I dont mind it.