• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Marvel found its way again?

131 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

And Marvel sales reached a level they haven’t seen in about a decade.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/10/immortal-hulk-outsells-batman/

The April 2019 Diamond Comic Distributor stats are out, and they make rather interesting reading. As well as Marvel Comics getting a 50% unit share, Immortal Hulk #16 had higher orders than Batman #68 and #69. Since the New 52 reboot/relaunch, the twice-monthly Batman comic book as been the old reliable at DC Comics, constantly topping the charts, only beaten by the occasional first issue launch, event comics mini-series like Secret Empire, Metal or The Batman Who Laughs. For a regular issue of an ongoing series to top Batman is unheard of. Until Immortal Hulk.

•  

Bleeding Cool articles are very biased. What they are leaving out is DC has cut the amount of titles they are producing because the comic market is in a tailspin right now and according to DC they don't have the talent on board to produce the titles. Marvel on the other hand has increased the amount of comics shipping in April in order to continue flooding the shelves. War of the Realms #1 was released in April with 25 variant covers. These predatory practices are part of what is driving comic stores out of business.

5 hours ago, dyelan said:

Bleeding Cool articles are very biased. What they are leaving out is DC has cut the amount of titles they are producing because the comic market is in a tailspin right now and according to DC they don't have the talent on board to produce the titles. Marvel on the other hand has increased the amount of comics shipping in April in order to continue flooding the shelves. War of the Realms #1 was released in April with 25 variant covers. These predatory practices are part of what is driving comic stores out of business.

So when they finally realize what they are doing,do you think the amount of variants will greatly reduce?

16 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Good point.

I take it back. Detroit had a Dynasty,well arguably.

I mean at least two of the teams I mentioned won in several consecutive years

Pittsburgh Steelers 4 straight super bowls.

Real Madrid won 3 straight Champions Leagues in recent years,

Four Championships over a span of 15 years is one every four 

Chicago Blackhawks won 3 of 4

La Kings (I'm just going off the top of my head)

Pittsburgh Penguins (Two straight)

Golden state warriors what's that like 5 of 6

The Islanders won 4 straight.

I guess Marvel would be like a Detroit Red wings dynasty,if you looked at box office success,with the occasional competition from say Shazam and Aquaman.

You mean 3 of 6..?

This is about comics. Not box office.

15 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

4 wins in 5 years is a dynasty. 4 wins in 15 years is not even close.

Most people in the hockey world would disagree. Being the gold standard of a hockey club for 2 decades, while accumulating that amount of success (including Championships) thru 3 eras...

22 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You mean 3 of 6..?

This is about comics. Not box office.

Marvel is the flagship of comics

I would have to say that minor Marvel characters carry alot of momentum in the Marvel Universe and in comic collecting

For example spiderman is a major character

Spidergwen minor,still very popular

Wolverine is a major character

His daughter minor,comic book appearance still has alot of value and popularity

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Marvel is the flagship of comics

I would have to say that minor Marvel characters carry alot of momentum in the Marvel Universe and in comic collecting

For example spiderman is a major character

Spidergwen minor,still very popular

Wolverine is a major character

His daughter minor,comic book appearance still has alot of value and popularity

Nope.

31 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Most people in the hockey world would disagree. Being the gold standard of a hockey club for 2 decades, while accumulating that amount of success (including Championships) thru 3 eras...

Detroit was a competitive hockey club,as a Dynasty that's arguable,a dynasty is a succession of championships,not even final appearances,but victories in the big game,or you could say Buffalo Bill's were a dynasty,they made four straight superbowl appearances,they were not a dynasty as much as they were an epic failure. Detroit created a winning atmosphere,which is good for any locker room, but I live in a hockey crazed country and very few would suggest they were a dynasty.

Chicago 3 of 6 is a Dynasty because their success is compacted in a short span of time.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Typos

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Detroit was a competitive hockey club,as a Dynasty that's arguable,a dynasty is a succession of championships,not even final appearances,but victories in the big game,or you could say Buffalo Bill's were a dynasty,they made for straight superbowl appearances,they were not a dynasty as much as they were an epic failure. Detroit created a winning atmosphere,which is good for any locker room, but I live in a hockey crazed country and very few would suggest they were a dynasty.

Chicago 3 of 6 is a Dynasty because their success is compacted in a short span of time.

Detroit won 3 of 6, including back-to-back, in 1997, 1998, and 2002.

So, by your metric, Detroit was easily a dynasty.

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Nope.

It's understandable that Marvel produces far more comics than other companies,but are you able to provide evidence to support your opinion like sales per character ect ect?

It's understandable that Superman and Batman have sold numerous comic books,but after that DC sales drop considerably. If you took 5 main characters from each company and compared sales over the past 20 years I would think Marvel would have sold alot more than DC 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's understandable that Marvel produces far more comics than other companies,but are you able to provide evidence to support your opinion like sales per character ect ect?

It's understandable that Superman and Batman have sold numerous comic books,but after that DC sales drop considerably. If you took 5 main characters from each company and compared sales over the past 20 years I would think Marvel would have sold alot more than DC 

Flagship: "the best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization."

Superman and Batman are this definition more than any Marvel character. Marvel is not the "flagship of comics".

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

3 of 6 is different than 4 of 15,you said 4 of 15,not 3 of 6,now that you've clarified things a bit,that makes more sense

Why should I do all of the research for your own argument..? I've been correct the entire time...

The Soviet National Hockey Team was the greatest dynasty.  International record of 738-110-65, and taking gold in 21 of 32 IIHF World Championships, and Olympic gold in 7 of 9 apppearances.  

Edited by mec3437
Edit: Greatest dynasty for hockey

7 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

The Soviet National Hockey Team was the greatest dynasty.  International record of 738-110-65, and taking gold in 21 of 32 IIHF World Championships, and Olympic gold in 7 of 9 apppearances.  

Viacheslav Fetisov may be the greatest defenseman in hockey history.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Flagship: "the best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization."

Superman and Batman are this definition more than any Marvel character. Marvel is not the "flagship of comics".

"Flagship" is such a terrible pronoun to describe the leader in an industry.  As you pointed out, characters are flagships within a publisher.  So Batman and Superman are the "flagship" characters for DC.  Spider-Man is likely the flagship character for Marvel.  As far as flagship books, one could debate whether that title belongs to a solo title or a team book.  You could base it on popularity, or sales, or historical significance.  If it's the latter, it could be fair to say something like The Avengers is Marvel's flagship title because of it's prominence throughout publication history and because so many A list characters have passed through those pages at one point or another.

But on the topic of which publisher is best?  That's a conversation that could be discussed all day for years to come because there's no real clear cut winner.  In truth, their focus is on two very separate things.  On one hand, you have these characters that are nearly perfect (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) and on the other, you have flawed characters constantly dealing with personal issues.  I've heard the argument that Marvel characters resonate more with people because they are flawed.  But that could also be part of the Stan's sales pitch back in the day.

Just now, ExNihilo said:

"Flagship" is such a terrible pronoun to describe the leader in an industry.  As you pointed out, characters are flagships within a publisher.  So Batman and Superman are the "flagship" characters for DC.  Spider-Man is likely the flagship character for Marvel.  As far as flagship books, one could debate whether that title belongs to a solo title or a team book.  You could base it on popularity, or sales, or historical significance.  If it's the latter, it could be fair to say something like The Avengers is Marvel's flagship title because of it's prominence throughout publication history and because so many A list characters have passed through those pages at one point or another.

But on the topic of which publisher is best?  That's a conversation that could be discussed all day for years to come because there's no real clear cut winner.  In truth, their focus is on two very separate things.  On one hand, you have these characters that are nearly perfect (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) and on the other, you have flawed characters constantly dealing with personal issues.  I've heard the argument that Marvel characters resonate more with people because they are flawed.  But that could also be part of the Stan's sales pitch back in the day.

You are 100% correct.

It would have been more accurate to post this myself. I was bothered by the misconception that Marvel is somehow a "flagship" anything.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I was bothered by the misconception that Marvel is somehow a "flagship" anything. 

"THE Premiere Publisher in the Industry" would have been more accurate.

And by that I mean the leader in publishing premiere (#1) issues due to all the reboots.  :roflmao:

13 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

I feel like every player was an all star.  Larionov, Konstantinov, Makarov, and the list goes on and on.

The Professor basically helped transform Pavel Datsyuk into who he is. He taught him, "don't give the puck to the other team". That, along with only having 1 puck in his home rinks (because of athletic poverty) kinda took him to another level since he already had ridiculously phenomenal puck protecting abilities.

It's too bad that some of these guys joined the NHL at the tail-ends of their careers. Most North Americans have no idea how amazing they were.