• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to accept payments on eBay

31 posts in this topic

Ok, so I know there was a thread here about this, but it really didn't go anywhere. My options, as of right now, are are to continue to accept Paypal, and risk losing the transaction fee if I have to refund for any reason, or sign up with eBay managed payments. I have zero interest in signing up with eBay managed payments, because they're requiring A. my social security number, and B. my bank account information. 

eBay is one of the most easily hacked companies in the world, so I am unwilling to do that.

What are my options?

No longer selling on eBay is a big one, but not a step I wish to take. Any other options? According to eBay, the only options are managed payments or Paypal. Is that it?

1 minute ago, musicmeta said:

If you do decide to stick with PayPal are you going to scale down the value of the items you're going list? 

No, because I don't really have that option. The only workaround I can think of is to send checks as refunds, but I imagine people aren't going to want to do this.

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I didn't know about not being able to recover your fees if you continue to use paypal???  What are the details of this?  Or do you have a link to information?

It's in the updated user agreement on PayPal ...... they keep the 3% transaction fee... in a refund situation..

I sold something and have yet to receive feedback. I called PayPal to ask what an "appropriate amount of wait time to use funds" would be.

There remark of, "if it's available to you" as an answer did not give me confidence concerning the new agreement... :(

17 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I didn't know about not being able to recover your fees if you continue to use paypal???  What are the details of this?  Or do you have a link to information?

This is the new terms for U.S. users.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement. We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

"Get off my lawn!" rant, but the law of unintended consequences is in full effect, here. Paypal is refusing to back down, eBay is refusing to back down, so...funny, I talked to some idjit at eBay managed payments, and they were very defensive..."well, you know, things change!"

"Things changing" doesn't mean "for the better."

That said, I have now signed up for Google Pay, which...who knows how secure that is, and I despise doing business with Google in any way, but we're being funneled, and I don't know that there's a way around it.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"Get off my lawn!" rant, but the law of unintended consequences is in full effect, here. Paypal is refusing to back down, eBay is refusing to back down, so...funny, I talked to some idjit at eBay managed payments, and they were very defensive..."well, you know, things change!"

That said, I have now signed up fro Google Pay, which...who knows how secure that is, and I despise doing business with Google in any way, but we're being funneled, and I don't know that there's a way around it.

I used Google Pay once and it was a fradulent seller on FB. I got my money back but it does not have the protections like PayPal with Goods. It's basically all just Friends & Family.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That said, I have now signed up fro Google Pay, which...who knows how secure that is, and I despise doing business with Google in any way, but we're being funneled, and I don't know that there's a way around it.

Could a workaround be a 3% restocking fee :foryou: ?

42 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ok, so I know there was a thread here about this, but it really didn't go anywhere. My options, as of right now, are are to continue to accept Paypal, and risk losing the transaction fee if I have to refund for any reason, or sign up with eBay managed payments. I have zero interest in signing up with eBay managed payments, because they're requiring A. my social security number, and B. my bank account information. 

eBay is one of the most easily hacked companies in the world, so I am unwilling to do that.

What are my options?

No longer selling on eBay is a big one, but not a step I wish to take. Any other options? According to eBay, the only options are managed payments or Paypal. Is that it?

The new policy sucks, but how often have you had to issue refunds on Ebay?(shrug)

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The new policy sucks, but how often have you had to issue refunds on Ebay?(shrug)

Not many, granted. Maybe 3-4 times in the last 4 years...but it can add up really fast. I just don't know what to do now. I sell a $2,000 book, I want the buyer to be happy, and if they're not, I'm going to take the return, no questions asked...but that would cost me $58...plus original shipping ($40 or so)...plus return shipping if they decide it's "not as described." 

It's getting bad out there in e-commerce...

How many returns do you have? You mostly (entirely?) sell slabs? Other than the principle of the matter, is this a real financial issue for you?

Anyway, I just refunded shipping on an item because it took a long time to get to the buyer. The fee was covered, just like before. Does this not become an issue with a partial refund?

Edited by the blob

57 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Don't those require a yearly corporate fee to stay in business? Might cost you more than the lost fee.

Varies by state, IIRC. New Mexico, one of the Dakotas, a couple others are low-cost.

Sad how the great, mighty internet is supposed to level the playing field for the little guy but broad-based love of convenience enables a few monopoly players. I honestly would rather go to a bajillion different little sites to shop comics (eg - rma.com, other boardie.com, etc) than a couple of online behemoths. But I am clearly in the minority. Sorry for the rant; but that's the real problem.

Back to the actionable topic at hand -- I think New Mexico is cheapest, but there's a few contenders. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I have can post you more specifically.