• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Popular Searches on CAF"

4 posts in this topic

My overall takeaway is "sex sells". It's not at all surprising to me. This has been an ongoing thing in comic OA for as long as i can remember first noticing horrible sexed up drawings on eBay within months of the OA category being introduced.

With a few key artists that are always going to be high up in searches (Byrne, Mignola, Miller, etc.) and a some odd exceptions, the list reads to me like a who's who of popular mainstream cheesecake artists, some guys who make trashy art, and characters that people seem obsessed with making cheesecake (and utter garbage) drawings of. Someone's juking the stats, or it's just that seedy underbelly of folks that can't get enough of it. I don't really find the stats fascinating. I find it irksome to weed through, and wish there were a way to filter it out.

It's totally ruined the new art postings feature of CAF. Now I really only pay attention to my circle of watched galleries for new art postings, to see good work. Or searches of legit artists whose work I enjoy. While I really respect Bill for not wanting to put censorship limits on CAF (the human nude, and the erotic can be wonderful aspects of truly great art), the lowest common denominator is genuinely bricking the site the longer it's left to fester. But I sympathize too, because trying to police it would be beyond a full time job, and illicit all kinds of headaches over where the line is drawn.

Edited by ESeffinga

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

But I sympathize too, because trying to police it would be beyond a full time job, and illicit all kinds of headaches over where the line is drawn.

For the most part 21st century technology is all about: no line at all for anything. As has been discussed here numerous time and daily in (surely) thousands of forums, professional curation/gatekeeping is dead. That's good and bad. For this discussion, bad, but on a global scale the technology that has created this mess has also allowed anybody anywhere to put their creative endeavor 'out there' for the market to vote on with interest (likes, winks, etc) and payment (even if it's fractional bitcoins!) That's the good. I'd rather weed through a ton of garbage or find workable workarounds to get to mostly the good stufff than go back to "them" telling me what to like, and then me having to pay ridiculous money to buy "it" due to perceived artificial scarcity of so-called creativity. Or haunt indie record stores, used bookstores, head shops, etc to pay even more ridiculous money for actually scarce and poorly distributed underground or independent creativity.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:08 AM, ESeffinga said:

My overall takeaway is "sex sells". It's not at all surprising to me. This has been an ongoing thing in comic OA for as long as i can remember first noticing horrible sexed up drawings on eBay within months of the OA category being introduced.

With a few key artists that are always going to be high up in searches (Byrne, Mignola, Miller, etc.) and a some odd exceptions, the list reads to me like a who's who of popular mainstream cheesecake artists, some guys who make trashy art, and characters that people seem obsessed with making cheesecake (and utter garbage) drawings of. Someone's juking the stats, or it's just that seedy underbelly of folks that can't get enough of it. I don't really find the stats fascinating. I find it irksome to weed through, and wish there were a way to filter it out.

It's totally ruined the new art postings feature of CAF. Now I really only pay attention to my circle of watched galleries for new art postings, to see good work. Or searches of legit artists whose work I enjoy. While I really respect Bill for not wanting to put censorship limits on CAF (the human nude, and the erotic can be wonderful aspects of truly great art), the lowest common denominator is genuinely bricking the site the longer it's left to fester. But I sympathize too, because trying to police it would be beyond a full time job, and illicit all kinds of headaches over where the line is drawn.

Like with facebook, it would be great if you could make the settings that are saved to show you what you want to see in your feed.  I think a feature where you can easily see new published work that is the first thing that appears on your feed.  Or a "see less of button" like where if there is a particular artist who posts the awful cheesecake drawings, you could choose not to show their posts on your feed.