• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Erick Larsen and CGC SS
1 1

21 posts in this topic

A couple of hours ago Erick Larsen post this on twitter,
and then was repost by Declan Shalvy.
If you have time or interest check also all the comments that follow...

Interesting for those still involved with the SS Program.

"I honestly feel that CGC is doing more harm than good in this industry by rendering comic books literally unreadable.
I almost feel like I should charge a cost-prohibitive fee for signing CGC books—like $100 or more—just to discourage people."

1 hour ago, nriccijr said:

If we want to encapsulate our belongings in hard plastic we have every right to. No one should tell us what to do with our funny books.

Damn right. Wish more people pushed back against this nonsense. And it ain't gonna change until more people do.

"With all due respect, Mr. Larsen...." 

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Damn right. Wish more people pushed back against this nonsense. And it ain't gonna change until more people do.

One should educate Mr. Larsen on what a “reader copy” is. Just because one encapsulates their book does not mean that one does not read said book. 

6 hours ago, ivdyer said:
14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

One should educate Mr. Larsen on what a “reader copy” is. Just because one encapsulates their book does not mean that one does not read said book. 

The creative community has gotten it into their heads that those who slab comics don't read comics or don't like comics or don't have any interest in comics as an artform, and while that's certainly true of a few, it's not true of the vast majority. But the real question is, why do they care in the first place what people are doing with their own property? 

There's so much more to be said, but I'll leave it at that for now.

There is already a thread about this topic in another forum, but I strongly feel the need to express my opinion yet again: 

This guy should be on his knees thanking comic fans for actually buying his garbage over the years. 

I can't believe that he would entertain the thought of having to charge anyone extra to "discourage" the process. 

Larsen freakin SUCKS. 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, seredynskib said:

Is Erik Larsen even attending Comic Cons this year? I haven’t seen his name on any guest lists.

He's scheduled to sign at the California Comic Con later this month.... I was considering going and bringing comics for him and others to sign. CGC will be there. Now that I've heard his opinion about slabs, if I go, leaving any of his work at home. Not supporting his attitude with signature fees.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, nriccijr said:

If we want to encapsulate our belongings in hard plastic we have every right to. No one should tell us what to do with our funny books.

19 minutes ago, Cman429 said:

Why on earth do creators care what we do with our comics? 

Thank you! 

On 1/15/2020 at 5:47 PM, Cman429 said:

Why on earth do creators care what we do with our comics? 

Because they are envious and think they deserve some of the "new value" of the book now that they've signed it...aided and abetted by "facilitators" who lie to them.

I think he ( ERIK Larsen , partner of image.com ) has a point about this. I have always said a Xerox copy should come with the book . It should be done by cgc be4 the encasing so we have it to read. Because it gets costly to buy 2nd copies of all we encase.. Remember every coin is 2 sided.. I'm a libra, so I always see both sides of the talk. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, Cassenellis_Collection said:

I think he ( ERIK Larsen , partner of image.com ) has a point about this. I have always said a Xerox copy should come with the book . It should be done by cgc be4 the encasing so we have it to read. Because it gets costly to buy 2nd copies of all we encase.. Remember every coin is 2 sided.. I'm a libra, so I always see both sides of the talk. 

This is the worst idea I've heard since that guy whose name I can't remember proposed unlockable slabs a while back.