• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age Contest - Rules Discussion

8 posts in this topic

I am thinking of running a different kind of contest on the Boards here. The purpose of this thread is to get suggestions on the RULES :rulez: of the contest before it begins. Yes, there will be prizes, but the ULTIMATE prize here is, of course, SWAGGER! 

:acclaim::acclaim: :acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

Many here maintain they have the right model for both selling and selecting books. :hi: You get to choose one copper age book. Over the course of one year, you can buy and sell as many copies of that book as possible, as long as you buy and sell them on FEEBAY, and use only the NET proceeds from the prior sales to purchase another copy (or multiple copies) of the SAME book. I think that CA books have matured enough in the marketplace for this contest to measure how WELL you SELL. Each player at the end of the contest will present the winner with one of their remaining copies of the book they chose to sell. Obviously, rules have to be STRICTLY followed. This may be too difficult for many to follow, but you will be HONOR-BOUND by these rules (and SEVERELY chastised if you knowingly break them).  Any disobeyance of the rules will be looked upon as a disqualification.

Propose rules are as follows:

• Contest begins June 1, 2019 and ends May 31, 2020.
  • Start with ANY SINGLE COPY Copper Age (indicia/cover date 1984 - 1994) book.
  • There are no limitations or rules which apply to your starting book of choice but one - IT HAS TO BE RAW/UNGRADED at the time of selection.
  • You MAY CHOOSE to have it graded for resale immediately after selection, but all such books must show a submission date of AFTER June 1, 2019.
  • Post your progress in the contest thread.
  • WHOMEVER ends up with the highest net proceeds on May 31, 2020 . . . WINS!
  • There is NO CREDIT given for any leftover copies (So it will possibly spur many INSANE auctions at the very end.)

I welcome your thoughts and discussion on the Rules. (I am home sick today, and may have glaringly made some errors in the above in terms of mechanics.) Please vet the above to the best of your abilities. I'm not opposed to any suggestions from LEFT FIELD. :bigsmile:

cheers,

divad

Edited by divad

12 minutes ago, divad said:

I am thinking of running a different kind of contest on the Boards here. The purpose of this thread is to get suggestions on the RULES :rulez: of the contest before it begins. Yes, there will be prizes, but the ULTIMATE prize here is, of course, SWAGGER! 

:acclaim::acclaim: :acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

Many here maintain they have the right model for both selling and selecting books. :hi: You get to choose one copper age book. Over the course of one year, you can buy and sell as many copies of that book as possible, as long as you buy and sell them on FEEBAY, and use only the NET proceeds from the prior sales to purchase another copy (or multiple copies) of the SAME book. I think that CA books have matured enough in the marketplace for this contest to measure how WELL you SELL. Each player at the end of the contest will present the winner with one of their remaining copies of the book they chose to sell. Obviously, rules have to be STRICTLY followed. This may be too difficult for many to follow, but you will be HONOR-BOUND by these rules (and SEVERELY chastised if you knowingly break them).  Any disobeyance of the rules will be looked upon as a disqualification.

Propose rules are as follows:

• Contest begins June 1, 2019 and ends May 31, 2020.
  • Start with ANY SINGLE COPY Copper Age (indicia/cover date 1984 - 1994) book.
  • There are no limitations or rules which apply to your starting book of choice but one - IT HAS TO BE RAW/UNGRADED at the time of selection.
  • You MAY CHOOSE to have it graded for resale immediately after selection, but all such books must show a submission date of AFTER June 1, 2019.
  • Post your progress in the contest thread.
  • WHOMEVER ends up with the highest net proceeds on May 31, 2020 . . . WINS!
  • There is NO CREDIT given for any leftover copies (So it will possibly spur many INSANE auctions at the very end.)

I welcome your thoughts and discussion on the Rules. (I am home sick today, and may have glaringly made some errors in the above in terms of mechanics.) Please vet the above to the best of your abilities. I'm not opposed to any suggestions from LEFT FIELD. :bigsmile:

cheers,

divad

So you have to buy the book off eBay? How's that going to work? I'll beat the pants off of you, but not if I have to pay retail for my stock.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

So you have to buy the book off eBay? How's that going to work? I'll beat the pants off of you, but not if I have to pay retail for my stock.

Not the first book, just every book thereafter. Limited to using the proceeds from the first book. There has to be a way to "level the playing field."

Someone might buy a spec book get it graded by CGC and sit pat. :)

Others, will have their own methods, ideas , whatever. It's a constructive contest - not just, I'll keep selling my 30 copies of Thor 390 until I kick your jazz. :grin:

Obviously, the rules need to be tweaked / expanded, but we do need some kind of limiting factor so we are all playing without unique market advantages . . . hm Thoughts anyone? Or just scrap the idea as another dud.?

3 hours ago, divad said:

Obviously, the rules need to be tweaked / expanded, but we do need some kind of limiting factor so we are all playing without unique market advantages . . . hm Thoughts anyone? Or just scrap the idea as another dud.?

Board participation seems to be at a very low ebb lately Divad. Even more so than the other 500 times it's been claimed in the last 15 years. Why not tag a few of the people who you think would be interested? I bet you have a target audience in mind and they may not have seen the thread. The 'dealers' maybe. If you get no repsonse to that, file under 'fun idea but lack of interest'.