• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this rust? It's rust, right?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, grebal said:

Is there any formal or technical distinction between discolored staples and rust?

Because I've seen the discolored kind that decades later are still discolored but never spread beyond the original noticed discoloration.

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I understand there are different degrees of rust; this looks like what I would call "light surface rust." It hasn't progressed to the point where it's affecting the integrity of the staples yet...

Outside of rusty, rustier and rustiest, I'm not sure. :insane:

I have had some success in cleaning and/or replacing staples in SA and older books using vintage staples. Even if there is is some migration to the pages it is a worthwhile effort, as "rust never sleeps."

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, divad said:

Outside of rusty, rustier and rustiest, I'm not sure. :insane:

I have had some success in cleaning and/or replacing staples in SA and older books using vintage staples. Even if there is is some migration to the pages it is a worthwhile effort, as "rust never sleeps."

Not only does rust do without sleep, rust also has its own followers:

rustafrianspng.png

On 5/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, divad said:

Are these books you are submitting, selling on eBay or other? 

On 5/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, grebal said:

Is there any formal or technical distinction between discolored staples and rust?

Because I've seen the discolored kind that decades later are still discolored but never spread beyond the original noticed discoloration.

It’s all iron oxide but the conditions in which it forms are variable and therefore the properties of the oxide differ. 

Steel that shows very dark and smooth has a form of oxide that can be very stable and actually protects the substrate. It can happen naturally or be applied purposefully, called a patina.

the rust shown above looks like the type caused by humidity and will get worse in a high humidity environment. There are treatments that can be applied to remove the crust and neutralize the oxidation but I’m not keen on messing with staples on a comic book. A comic resto business will know your options.

As they say, "rust never sleeps", but you can do something to address moisture/humidity issues.  I really like these silica gel canisters.  Every 4-6 months, you empty the canister and bake out the moisture and then reuse the silica.  So far, rust hasn't raised its evil head.  I bought mine on amazon.  Paul~

Silica Gel Can.jpg