• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Library of Congress stamp 1942?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Hey y’all...phoning in my boardie friends for a little help or maybe some insight into this stamp on my book. So I recently just won a second copy of the Super tough Four Favorites #5. Only 6 on the CGC census. I chased it first off because I LOVE the book, secondly the colors looked amazing and now in hand the reds are even deeper than my 3.0 copy, and third is because is has this sweet stamp on it from the Library of Congress? Can’t make out what the Division says but the book has 5/42 date so this was a month prior. I am sure the hippies here will have a field day with the actual date haha!! Anyways wondered if any of you had any information on this or maybe have similar stamps on any of your books!! Thanks as always!! Gino 

I know it’s a rag the spine is split but look at those colors!! I think the seller might be a boardie if so thanks I LOVE IT!!

A75526D1-A5C1-4010-9D8E-58C5C2A3393E.jpeg

FC39CE0C-25AF-4492-9703-13D73EC48454.jpeg

Cool grab Gino! Looking forward to the answer concerning the stamp (i'm sure someone on these Boards knows). 

Also as a fellow Ace man that you are, check out my link in the Ace Thread concerning Rare Ace books.

...I'm sure #1 will have you waiving a flag :D

25 minutes ago, sagii said:

Cool grab Gino! Looking forward to the answer concerning the stamp (i'm sure someone on these Boards knows). 

Also as a fellow Ace man that you are, check out my link in the Ace Thread concerning Rare Ace books.

...I'm sure #1 will have you waiving a flag :D

that’s a big 10-4 chief!!! thanks brother!!

9 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Information?  No, but I would love to hear any that another boardie provides.

Similar stamp?  Yes.  November-December 1938 issue of Operator #5.

Operator_5_1938_12.jpg

Operator_5_1938_12_stamp.jpg

that’s absolutely AWESOME!!! Great book great stamp thanks for sharing!! Now I know it says PERIODICAL DIVISION. See I am already one step further than I was!! Man I love these boards!!

Edited by gino2paulus2

While I'm quite happy to have the one book I do have, I'm genuinely curious as to why it isn't still in the Library of Congress.  The stamp wasn't mentioned when I bought the book, as far as I can recall.

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

While I'm quite happy to have the one book I do have, I'm genuinely curious as to why it isn't still in the Library of Congress.  The stamp wasn't mentioned when I bought the book, as far as I can recall.

This is an interesting paragraph from the link i posted:

The largest collection of comics books in the United States is housed in the Serial and Government Publications Division. The collection includes U.S. and foreign comic books—over 5,000 titles in all, totaling more than 100,000 issues. Primarily composed of the original print books, the collection includes color microfiche of a handful of the early comic books (such as Wonder Woman, Superman, and Action Comics) and special reprints. Although the collection is most comprehensive from 1950, scattered issues from numerous titles date back to the 1930s. A small number of comic books make up the Underground Comic Book collection of titles “recommended for mature readers.”

The Library acquires comic books published and distributed in the United States almost exclusively through copyright deposit. Titles are added to the collection on the basis of quality of text and graphic depiction; significance of the artist, writer, or publisher; originality of story or main character; the title's popularity as reflected in circulation statistics or media attention; representation of new ideas or social trends; or availability through copyright.

Even more interesting:

Using the Comic Book Collection

Comic books are circulated for use in the Newspaper and Current Periodical Room for those doing research of a specific nature, leading toward a publicly available work such as a publication, thesis, or dissertation; a radio, film, or television production; or a public performance. Self-service photocopying of comic books is prohibited. In some cases photocopies may be obtained through the Photoduplication Service of the Library of Congress. When researching comic books, collectors are usually interested in price and condition, whereas women's studies scholars may look on them as an art form, a popular culture medium, or a historical artifact. Unfortunately, many periodicals that focus on comic books are not indexed in abstracting and indexing services.

Just now, Casablanca said:

Even more interesting:

Using the Comic Book Collection

Comic books are circulated for use in the Newspaper and Current Periodical Room for those doing research of a specific nature, leading toward a publicly available work such as a publication, thesis, or dissertation; a radio, film, or television production; or a public performance. Self-service photocopying of comic books is prohibited. In some cases photocopies may be obtained through the Photoduplication Service of the Library of Congress. When researching comic books, collectors are usually interested in price and condition, whereas women's studies scholars may look on them as an art form, a popular culture medium, or a historical artifact. Unfortunately, many periodicals that focus on comic books are not indexed in abstracting and indexing services.

There are a lot of books over at the Digital Comic Museum that were scanned at the LoC.  At least a few scanners are able to get there semi-regularly and scan the public domain books.

2 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

There are a lot of books over at the Digital Comic Museum that were scanned at the LoC.  At least a few scanners are able to get there semi-regularly and scan the public domain books.

I dealt with the LOC with my project because they have information beyond some of the usual databases such as Digital Comic Museum, GCD etc. Also they are all about getting the information to the public. So if you're doing a publication, film, documentary;   they share a lot of additional historic information beyond the books themselves. 

44 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

I am currently researching a project and have reached out to the Library of Congress. They have been magnificent. Gov't at its finest.

I had NO IDEA about these stamps though.Thank you for sharing!

That’s awesome!! thanks for all the info as well!!

44 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Great info!! I have a few of my books scanned at the DCM as well some really tough ones to find. They were super cool and even put, “from the collection of Gino Paulus” on there!! Was happy to help fill in some holes to keep the history alive!!

So now the real question is did these make it to the Library of Congress? Maybe someone, “checked them out” Or maybe someone just took a stamper home with them haha? Regardless the first scanning tech wasn’t even around till the early 1960s if i’m not mistaken so I can’t imagine they let folks just leave with these hard copies. Didn’t Geppi just donate a large quantity of significant books to the LOC?  

I can’t speak for the stamp, but I do remember a colleague from LOC years ago (when I worked in Congress) mentioning that issues would occasionally go “missing” before someone called attention to their prospective value. It’s also quite possible the LOC sold off their duplicates, but just speculating there.