• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Library of Congress stamp 1942?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

So now the real question is did these make it to the Library of Congress? Maybe someone, “checked them out” Or maybe someone just took a stamper home with them haha? Regardless the first scanning tech wasn’t even around till the early 1960s if i’m not mistaken so I can’t imagine they let folks just leave with these hard copies. Didn’t Geppi just donate a large quantity of significant books to the LOC?  

I don’t know if it has always been this way, but the general public cant really check out books from the LOC. That is a privilege reserved for Members, staff, employees, and select others. And, they will hound you if you are late and take your credentials if a book is excessively late 

20 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

So now the real question is did these make it to the Library of Congress? Maybe someone, “checked them out” Or maybe someone just took a stamper home with them haha? Regardless the first scanning tech wasn’t even around till the early 1960s if i’m not mistaken so I can’t imagine they let folks just leave with these hard copies. Didn’t Geppi just donate a large quantity of significant books to the LOC?  

16 minutes ago, Jonathan78 said:

I can’t speak for the stamp, but I do remember a colleague from LOC years ago (when I worked in Congress) mentioning that issues would occasionally go “missing” before someone called attention to their prospective value. It’s also quite possible the LOC sold off their duplicates, but just speculating there.

Yes, i din't want to imply anything about your copy. But i have a feeling it was checked out, but never checked back in...

Fiction House became defunct in 1955 and i believe a lot of their "copyright deposits" landed at the LOC. Looking to confirm this soon. Furthermore after Werthem in 1954, there is a section in LOC for "mature books"...looking to confirm this as well. Stay tuned..I'm enjoying this thread if its not apparent.

I really would like to find out the history on how books made it out; if my copy walked out inappropriately I would like to return it if they want it back.

I do NOT want to return it if it left legitimately but the LOC is regretting that decision after the fact.

1 hour ago, Jonathan78 said:

I can’t speak for the stamp, but I do remember a colleague from LOC years ago (when I worked in Congress) mentioning that issues would occasionally go “missing” before someone called attention to their prospective value. It’s also quite possible the LOC sold off their duplicates, but just speculating there.

Great info and that would make sense for sure.  thanks!!

For what its worth, below is copied a Question and Answer (I'm "Patron") sent direct to the source back in 2013:

-------

Tue, Mar 5, 2013, 9:40 AM

Question History:

Patron: I saw a comic book for sale at auction recently that stated it was "from a collection of books unearthed from the Library of Congress."  Does the library occasionally divest themselves of holdings?

Thank you

Librarian 1: I must apologize for the tardy response to your questions--I unfortunately did not see it my queue until now.

The Library does NOT as a rule divest itself of comic books--I believe the auction you refer to is one in which the material was from decades ago when policies may have been different.  While other kinds of material in the Library currently may be offered to other libraries and others via our exchange program, comic books do not fall into that category.  We keep all that we have.

I hope this answers your question, and again, I am very sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

Head, Newspaper Section
Serial & Government Publications Division
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4760

1 hour ago, path4play said:

For what its worth, below is copied a Question and Answer (I'm "Patron") sent direct to the source back in 2013:

-------

Tue, Mar 5, 2013, 9:40 AM

Question History:

Patron: I saw a comic book for sale at auction recently that stated it was "from a collection of books unearthed from the Library of Congress."  Does the library occasionally divest themselves of holdings?

Thank you

Librarian 1: I must apologize for the tardy response to your questions--I unfortunately did not see it my queue until now.

The Library does NOT as a rule divest itself of comic books--I believe the auction you refer to is one in which the material was from decades ago when policies may have been different.  While other kinds of material in the Library currently may be offered to other libraries and others via our exchange program, comic books do not fall into that category.  We keep all that we have.

I hope this answers your question, and again, I am very sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

Head, Newspaper Section
Serial & Government Publications Division
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4760

that is wonderful info!! An actual exchange!! So this is awesome this book may have indeed been from the library and just made it out when policies were different. This is what I am crossing my fingers happened making the book that much cooler imo. Really hoping for this and not a kid with a stamper his old man gave him going to town on all his funny books haha!! Although that would be kind of cool too I guess!! Thanks pal!!

57 minutes ago, telerites said:

I have this copy.  I kind of wish CGC would notate it on the label.  I bought it raw and when I subbed it, I put it in the submission notes but not a label note CGC does.

0805171402061.jpg

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY COOL!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I have this copy.  I kind of wish CGC would notate it on the label.  I bought it raw and when I subbed it, I put it in the submission notes but not a label note CGC does.

0805171402061.jpg

Has all same three stamps as my Frisky Fables posted above...hm (thumbsu

My vague recollections is that comics started going missing from LOC in the 60s and there was some kind of sales/auctions in the 70s when copyright law was changed to eliminate the need to supply LOC with a copy in order to secure the copyright.  This is based on hearing/reading what others have said rather than my first hand knowledge.

Edited by adamstrange