• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*** MATT BAKER COVERS ONLY NO DUPLICATES***
7 7

423 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Point Five said:

If this cover was done around the same time as Crime Reporter 2 and 3, to me that’s an even stronger argument that it’s not by Baker. CR 2 and 3 already have those dynamic, fluid figures in an environment with depth, and pick out a split second in the narrative action. The Saint 4 has a formal composition more like a movie poster, and the figures are well-drawn but (comparatively) stiffer and more formal, like some of the mid-40s Chesler covers. It’s of course subjective, but to me the sensibilities are way different. 

Lee Ames did other covers for Avon and he has a way of drawing pretty women that is appealing.  Murderous Gangsters 1 and Samson and Delilah are two examples.  I mention this because if it wasn't Baker drawing The Saint #4 it had to be someone who drew pretty women well because we like the cover.

https://www.comics.org/issue/66299/cover/4/

https://www.comics.org/issue/585858/cover/4/

I just did a search on GCD for Ames and he was also at Fiction House/Iger Shop coincident with Baker.  GCD even lists two stories where there was a collaboration between them.  https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/lee ames/sort/alpha/  I don't have those issues and I'm curious how they detected the collaboration but I definitely would want to take a close look at the stories they supposedly worked on.

A superficial resemblance could be due to Ames being inspired by Baker or, if they knew each other, an assist by Baker.  The dominant hand, to my eyes, is most likely Ames.

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, Joshua33 said:

In other news... we're still missing GOING STEADY 13 AND 14. Does anyone have or know somebody who had these 2 issues? Let's get em posted and reorganize this thing into a finished product.

Okay, I have a 14 that I'm going to take a picture of. Try to get that soon. I have been doing a bit of the heavy lifting here. I use to have a 13, one of the first Bakers I ever purchased for $5.00. eventually sold because I thought the grade was too low and I'd find a better copy. So much for that idea.

36 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Lee Ames did other covers for Avon and he has a way of drawing pretty women that is appealing.  Murderous Gangsters 1 and Samson and Delilah are two examples.  I mention this because if it wasn't Baker drawing The Saint #4 it had to be someone who drew pretty women well because we like the cover.

https://www.comics.org/issue/66299/cover/4/

https://www.comics.org/issue/585858/cover/4/

I just did a search on GCD for Ames and he was also at Fiction House/Iger Shop coincident with Baker.  GCD even lists two stories where there was a collaboration between them.  https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/lee ames/sort/alpha/  I don't have those issues and I'm curious how they detected the collaboration but I definitely would to take a close look at the stories they supposed worked on.

A superficial resemblance could be due to Ames being inspired by Baker or, if they knew each other, an assist by Baker.  The dominant hand, to my eyes, is most likely Ames.

Great research. Would love to dig into that!

4 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

In other news... we're still missing GOING STEADY 13 AND 14. Does anyone have or know somebody who had these 2 issues? Let's get em posted and reorganize this thing into a finished product.

Going Steady 13 is the only Baker book I looked for and never had or was offered a copy of. (shrug)

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

On 5/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, Yorick said:

Add the rest of the Going Steady covers too.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, Joshua33 said:

OOPS! Nobody caught these? Looks like we're missing Gonig Steady 12,13 and 14

:baiting:

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I've been gone for the month.  Can I see an updated list of what is needed?  I don't have time to go thru every page and make a list...LOL

It's all covered. Just trying to find the time to download all the shots and put them in alpha numeric order.

Fun thread to revisit.  Was the Photo Catalog ever organized differently somewhere, or is this thread the final compilation?

Also, question about Vooda 20.  I know it’s comprised primarily of reprint material from Seven Seas 6 and the art was “re-worked” to reflect a jungle theme (and conform to comics code).  The cover seems to be a swipe of the splash page from Seven Seas 6, but the face is different.  Did Baker do the modifications to the art himself, or was it done by someone else?

A886A65D-7188-4454-8F13-61D45EA8B68D.jpeg

AAFF6209-EEE9-4C76-B2BC-2DD58AF2B3AC.png

On 8/20/2022 at 8:37 AM, CrocHntr said:

Fun thread to revisit.  Was the Photo Catalog ever organized differently somewhere, or is this thread the final compilation?

Also, question about Vooda 20.  I know it’s comprised primarily of reprint material from Seven Seas 6 and the art was “re-worked” to reflect a jungle theme (and conform to comics code).  The cover seems to be a swipe of the splash page from Seven Seas 6, but the face is different.  Did Baker do the modifications to the art himself, or was it done by someone else?

A886A65D-7188-4454-8F13-61D45EA8B68D.jpeg

AAFF6209-EEE9-4C76-B2BC-2DD58AF2B3AC.png

Looks like someone swiping Baker on the cover, don't think he had any involvement, but that's just my opinion based on looking at it.  The hands and several other features on the Vooda cover look nothing like Baker to me.

Did Baker do anything at all with Ajax?  

On 8/20/2022 at 3:14 PM, szav said:

Looks like someone swiping Baker on the cover, don't think he had any involvement, but that's just my opinion based on looking at it.  The hands and several other features on the Vooda cover look nothing like Baker to me.

Did Baker do anything at all with Ajax?  

Ajax art was supplied by the Iger shop, where Matt had worked in the 40s.  I have not heard that he came back to work there in the 50s and I don't think it's likely.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:03 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

This is a constant topic of debate but I definitely believe that he was at least a contributor to this classic cover. 

This seems to be the cover that gets the most varied opinions. 

E2B9FBA9-4E9E-4D7B-907F-C3E29380EC2F.jpeg

I think this is Baker on pencils. The male figure in the foreground is Baker-esque. The woman could be Kamen or Baker.